Author Topic: 7.62x39  (Read 3108 times)

Offline baranjhn

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
7.62x39
« on: September 28, 2006, 04:52:36 PM »
I was thinking of getting this barrel. Does anyone know what the actual bore diameter is? Any comments?

Thanks

John

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 7.62x39
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 04:57:12 PM »
.310"  but you'd better hurry, they're discontinuing it cuz they aren't made to shoot milsurp ammo, but everyone wants to. Most everyone that's tried has no fires and they complain to H&R.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline chriswvr

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 02:57:15 AM »
Is this barrel available through the accessory program?  I did not see it on the website.  That would be a nice additional barrel to go with my 30-06 Ultra that I recently purchased. ;D

-Chris

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 03:03:29 AM »
Is Wolf ammunition considered milsurp?No.It is the most prevalent type found in most stores.Does it not function in the NEF barrel?I'm not being arguementative.I really want to know.I planned on ordering a 7.63X39 barrel to use only Wolf ammo in.I'd like to know if the Wolf doesn't fire or is it just the milsurp ammo.

Stan
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 03:23:56 AM »
I don't know about firing, but I have had trouble with every one of my handis that i have tried to use wolf ammo in.  Anything with a steel case seems to jam in these guns.  I would strongly suggest you think twice about buying a 7.62x39 if you are only buying it for the cheap wolf ammo.

Offline xhare

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 03:36:17 AM »
From what I have read on other posts, Wolf is considered milsurp as far as H&R is concerned.  While it is not surplus, it is made to military specifications, complete with harder/recessed primers and has the same limitations. Thus, those who have tried Wolf ammo had numerous misfires.  

H&R really missed the mark as far as I am concerned, most people dont reload for this cartridge, and American ammo can be just as expensive as other calibers, most shooters just want to shoot the cheap imported ammo that is available.

I suppose if H&R built receivers with firing pins suitable to the 7.62x39 they would risk puncturing primers on standard calibers if someone switched barrels.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 05:29:07 AM »
It's still on the rifle list, but I don't know that it ever was on the online accessory barrel list, there's a bunch of missing info on the web site. It would be advised to just call or email them and ask for availability of the acc barrel. I emailed them last year about it cuz it wasn't on the acc barrel list, they replied that they would probably discontinue it because of the problems they've had to deal with. :(

Those that shoot sporting ammo in it or handload really like them, Robert even shoots cast bullets in his!! :D

Tim

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 07:54:36 AM »
I have one on the way and i plan on only shooting cast bullets in it.
"one shot is usually enough"

Offline baranjhn

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 10:04:44 AM »
Thanks for all the reply. I don't intend to shoot surplus ammo in it. I already reload for my Ruger #1 in 7.62x39 and thought it would be a nice companion to it.

I'd better order one before they're gone.

Thanks again,

John

Offline dewy

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 10:39:25 AM »
I got the barrel about a month ago and it shoots really well at one hundred yards half inch groups with 125Gr rem sp and Imr 4227.
I also but 100 rds tiger and 200 rds wolf through it but they tend to be a very wide pattern at one hundred yards but all in all it shoots very well I would recommend it.

;D
dewy

Offline supratriumph

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 05:45:24 PM »
I had one on order through Walmart for a month with no luck; called the factory and they said they discontinued the model due to the previously mentioned problem, the barrels were chambered for American made ammo and everything else was sticking in the chamber.  I asked them if they had any left and was told that the only place to find them will be on the secondary market.  Bummer!

Offline Jack Ryan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 10:05:22 PM »
What would it take to make the Handi shoot the Mil Sup ammo? Stretch the fireing pin a little?

Offline twocan

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
  • 185 pounder
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 09:41:04 AM »
I have tryed the wolf brand in my 7.62x39. I shot 60 rounds 5" or 6" inch groups was the best i could muster out of it. 6 misfires and 3 tumblers. I just today shot 10 rounds of rem umc 123gr mc OH MY GOD!!! You could cover the nine holes with a quarter at a hunder yds Yep nine holes one did not go off same as the wolf brand. Also mine just pops the case out about a 1/4 inch and then i pull it out the rest of the way with my hand. My 22 hornit kicks them all the way out on the ground. Witch is working right? Or are they both right?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 10:50:36 AM »
Welcome aboard, fellas!! Late model NEF/H&R rifles have extractors instead of the older, more appreciated ejector. The extractor is mechanical and very positive, ejectors are spring driven and can fail to eject, leaving the case stuck in the chamber, but with a little chamber polishing and keeping the chamber clean and tuned, they work very well.

Failures to fire(FTF) can also be attributed to not pulling the trigger fully to the rear at the break, if you release the trigger at the break, the transfer bar can fall away and the hammer will not impact the firing pin good resulting in inaccuracy or even a FTF. Consistent pin strikes are essential to consistent ignition and accuracy, even on sporting ammo. Hard, recessed primers on 7.62x39 milsurp ammo will definately cause FTFs.

Tim

Offline dewy

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 11:52:42 AM »
I have never had any wolf or tiger mil sur. fail to fire, I have only but five hundred rds. through it but the groups are really bad all over the place however reloading my own it can but eight 150gr sp through the same hole and my wife but three through the same hole at one hundred yards it shoots really well with reloads using 308 bullets. ;D

Dewy

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2006, 12:51:19 PM »
Well, as of last Friday, I was told the 7.62 is no longer available from the factory.   >:(

It looks like I may have to buy from one of the internet sights that have them.  Oh well, if you have one, enjoy it.  Unless you want to part with it of course! ;D