Author Topic: What is this strange thing on my new rifle?  (Read 7711 times)

Offline BlueSky

• Trade Count: (0)
What is this strange thing on my new rifle?
« on: May 20, 2006, 02:39:39 PM »
This is a pic of my new handi-rifle.  There is what looks like a large pin near the front of the trigger guard.  It does not appear on the other side.  Has anyone seen something like this before?  I have four other NEF's and none of them have this.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 02:46:24 PM »
Hmmm, none of mine have that either!! What's the second letter of the serial number?

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline BlueSky

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 02:59:38 PM »
The second letter is a "W".

I just took the barrel off and you can see where the hole exits the inside of the receiver.  You have to depress the barrel release lever to see it.  It looks like they drilled a hole through one side and plugged it with a short pin??

Offline bob allen

Me Too
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 03:03:29 PM »
I have the same thing on my new B.C. 45-70.second letter is W what does that signify??
                         Bob Allen

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 04:47:37 PM »
The second letter denotes build year, W is 2006, so it's something new. Perhaps a call to Gordon in CS will help explain what it's for. :wink:

Tim

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 05:57:27 PM »
My bet is that is is used in the tooling process, like a locating pin in a fixture to help make the machining more accurate.  May be an attempt to make the breach to hinge pin spacing more accurate?  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 06:19:39 PM »
Its the new Million Mom March / NATO Disarmament gun locating device.

All those wanting it removed, send rifle to me.  ...expect 2-3 year wait on return of rifle.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 04:10:24 AM »
Now this is interesting!!! When someone finds out what the heck it is and what is is for please be sure to post the information....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 01:25:47 PM »
Coming from my manufacturing background, I'd say that this might be a machining boo-boo that was "fixed  :roll: " by plugging a mislocated hole with a pin. The only way I would think that this hole was planned by H&R for some reason would be if all of the new receivers had this feature.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 06:47:56 PM »
I'm with trotterlg on this one. It looks as if it could be a master control hole for a jig to make the machining tolerances tight enough for drop-in barrels, maybe. I know I am dreaming, but wouldn"t it be nice?

I also thought it might be some safety feature that when the pin is knocked out and a locking pin is inserted, could be used to either lock the barrel down or prevent it from closing, thus rendering it inoperable.

Did you guys get the standard safety device that renders the rifle unusable? Just wondering?

It does just look like another very big wart on the side of the receiver to go along with the other ones. I am sure someone will call CS Monday and find out what the heck it is.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline BlueSky

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 04:27:34 AM »
I just spoke with John in customer service.  He explained that the hole is a "viewport hole" and they use it for visual access when they fit the barrels.  It is something new for 2006.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 05:40:35 AM »
OK, it's just another wart. Did they say that they would be on both the SB1 and SB2 receivers?
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline BlueSky

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 06:10:39 AM »
Well, I didn't think to ask him that but my guess is that it would be.

Offline TimL

View Hole
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 06:20:07 AM »
I asked the same question from the factory. The hole is called a view port. It is used to observe the amount of engagement between the barrel locking surface and the barrel catch. Apparently, the catch has an indicator line on it that must match up with the barrel to be sure that there is sufficient lockup. Otherwise you are fitting blind. Sounds reasonable to me.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
Re: View Hole
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 06:26:43 AM »
Quote from: TimL
I asked the same question from the factory. The hole is called a view port. It is used to observe the amount of engagement between the barrel locking surface and the barrel catch. Apparently, the catch has an indicator line on it that must match up with the barrel to be sure that there is sufficient lockup. Otherwise you are fitting blind. Sounds reasonable to me.

Sounds resonable to me too. Should help to take care of the few guns that opened on firing in the past where there was not enough engagement. Just too bad it had to be so big IMO.

Thanks guys for asking CS.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 07:58:54 AM »
Heh heh, H&R needs to read the barrel fitting info here, then they wouldn't need another hole in the frame!!!  :lol:

Tim

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 08:23:48 AM »
I hear you Tim, perhaps the hole (view port)  will make it easier to ensure a good fit.

John

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 09:02:18 AM »
Yup, no more factory direct pop-opens and better accuracy= less returned firearms= more happy Handiholics!!! :grin:

Tim

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006, 02:52:53 PM »
Happy Handiholics!!! Now there is a short but very nice sounding statement!!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006, 08:33:09 PM »
Interesting...So I suppose this will make it a little easier to fit used barrels for us as well. A new development, to say the least.
-Aaron

Offline rms4570hr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2006, 12:38:35 AM »
Quote from: myarmor
Interesting...So I suppose this will make it a little easier to fit used barrels for us as well. A new development, to say the least.
-Aaron

You know i e-mailed the cs department saturday to see if they were going to do this this to recievers that you send back to have a new barrel fitted but have gotten no responce back from them.But i don't think it would hurt anything if they did just change the cosmetics a little :)
You know handi rifles are like lays potato chip's with the chip's you can't eat just one same with the handi rifle's you can't buy just one.

rms270hr

Offline Hammerspur

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2006, 02:48:00 AM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
Heh heh, H&R needs to read the barrel fitting info here, then they wouldn't need another hole in the frame!!!  :lol:

Tim
 :(

No kidding Tim! While I applaud their efforts to eliminate the barrel fitting problems I've seen posted, it seems like a rather amateurish method of doing so, IMO.

Couldn't they have fashioned something like a mirror or optical tube to do the observation? (Looking at my 'extras' I'm not sure how to go about it, but I'll bet there is a way.)...OH,  and maybe train the fitters a bit more?  

If one does the barrel fitting procedure on a regular basis, shouldn't it become almost second nature?  :?
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2006, 04:31:56 AM »
To mutilate a fine frame just for a looksee is a brainless operation. What kind of engineers is H&R employing?

You have to be pretty dense to come up with an idea like that. How about putting a hole in a cylinder wall to see if the rings are fitting well.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2006, 06:20:38 AM »
Quote from: Fred M
To mutilate a fine frame just for a looksee is a brainless operation. What kind of engineers is H&R employing?

You have to be pretty dense to come up with an idea like that. How about putting a hole in a cylinder wall to see if the rings are fitting well.

:)  I hear ya Fred, seems that there could have been a better way of doing this. Like tightening up tolerances in the manufacturing of the lugs and frames. It all falls back on lack of QC. I guess we could put a band-aid over it so nobody has to look at it!  :roll: :)
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2006, 06:29:30 AM »
If they make the rifles barrels fit better and keep cost down..a small veiw port isn't that big a deal.They have 3 people to fit all the barrels to the frames...2 full time..1 part time from what I've been told...That's a-lot of barrels these 3 people do in a year...These are cast frames are they not..They didn't start with a single billet of high grade steel and CNC machine it to specs..so the tolerances will be more on the lax side than those of a Ruger or Dakota...Not to bad for a inexpensive rifle that shoots as good as our Handi's do.Just something to think about..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline BlueSky

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2006, 06:55:52 AM »
For the record, the lock up on this rifle is pretty good, so maybe the hole did it's job.  I just wish it didn't have to be so large.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2006, 07:23:16 AM »
But then again it is not a Purdey Side by Side.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline georgeld

• Avid Poster
view port hole
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2006, 08:44:46 PM »
Hmmm, just looked at two new guns yesterday. Called back this morning and ordered one.
Sure not gonna be very happy to have "just a hole" in the action to be used once.
Seems like they could figure it out some other way than that.

George
LM: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, NWTF
"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
It's about Control, join the NRA today!!"

Offline Donaldo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2006, 03:16:48 PM »
The reason the hole is there is so all them illegal aliens can assemble these simple little break open rifles right.  Hey, Tim, Andy, and yes you too Fred.  How you guys doing..........Well I am neck deep in benchrest type shooting now.  Not competing, just don't have the drive for that.  But still trying to put 5 shots in one hole.  Am down to 0.218" on my Savage based 6BR.  Next project is a full race benchrest rig.  Just got finished with a balsa wood and kevlar stock for my Savage 12BVSS.  Go to the Savage Shooters site and take a look at the cherry red stock on the pic post.  I'm Songdawg over there.  Good shootin to yawl.   Don
Luke 11:21

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2006, 03:21:27 PM »
Hey, nice to see yer havin fun, Don!! :D

Thanks for checkin in!! :wink:

Tim