Author Topic: Bed or Set screw???  (Read 6117 times)

Offline a45gunslinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.zippyvideos.com/8333718701028686/000_0452/
Bed or Set screw???
« on: March 14, 2006, 01:53:18 PM »
I'm looking at my 7mm-08 handi  and the scope mount is really bugging me  ...Has anyone bedded the front of the mount to the barrel??? I was thinking of doing this..or ..install a set screw like my ultra varmint? thanks in advance -Kevin

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Bed or Set screw???
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 02:11:06 PM »
I don't think it's necessary, but some shooters do..

http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/nef.html

I've never had an issue with the scope rail flexing or causing inaccuracy, so I don't bed the unsupported end. I do fit it to the barrel, tho. I remove the raised area or burr around each mount hole in the barrel with a file, then touch-up reblue it. Place a piece of fine emery cloth on the barrel over the mounting area, then move the rail fore and aft on top of the barrel in the mounting location, this laps the rail so it fits the barrel better, you'll see where the high spots are, when you get full contact, it's almost ready to mount. Make sure all of the factory thread sealant is removed from the mount holes, it will appear dull, I use a micro torch and a sewing awl or a dental pick to remove it. When you see a bright, shiny bottom in the holes, you'll know they're clean. Then I bed it in blue purple loctite, it will form a nice full contact bed without using any epoxy. It's good enough for sub moa accuracy, and even some much better than that on my good days!! The loctite is easily removed with a finger nail when/if it needs to be remounted in the future.

Be sure to not let loctite run down tween barrel and frame, or you may lock the barrel shut temporaily if it cures before you open the action!! Don't ask how I know that!! ::)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline a45gunslinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.zippyvideos.com/8333718701028686/000_0452/
Bed or Set screw???
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 06:09:30 PM »
I'll give it a try--it's a little less drastic than what I had in mind

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Bed or Set screw???
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 07:09:53 PM »
It is a common practice to do a slight counter sink on the screw holes on the barrel.  Even filing them flat will allow the top thread to pull up into the scope base.  I use my de-burring tool for cases for the task, but a largeer drill will also work.  I also do the bottom of the scope base holes a little.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.