Author Topic: Action opening on firing  (Read 8977 times)

Offline Cappy

• Trade Count: (0)
Action opening on firing
« on: February 20, 2006, 12:23:54 PM »
Just got back from a day out shooting coyotes with my .243 Ultra. Took a shot and had the action opened up under recoil. Noticed that the action break open lever has a bit of play in it. I'm wondering that with the play the recoil is able to slam the lever back hard enough to cause it release? Anyone ever have this problem and if so is it easy to fix?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Action opening on firing
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 01:11:36 PM »
The release button should be loose when the action is closed and locked up completely. With the action open, there shouldn't be any play in the release button.

Pop opens are caused by inadequate lock up, you can check the latch engagement, instructions are in the FAQ under barrel fitting.

Make sure the underside of the barrel is clean and free of any debris that might prevent the barrel from seating in the frame properly.

Also, make sure there is no oil on the latch or latch shelf, they should be clean and dry.

Check to make sure the loaded round is fully chambered and not preventing the action from closing all the way, this could be caused by insufficient headspace due to improperly sized brass or a dirty chamber.

When new, you need to close the action with a little authority until the latch and locking shelf get used to each other, don't be afraid to close it briskly, it won't hurt it, but it will make sure it locks up good.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
Action opening on firing
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 04:03:26 PM »
Hi Cappy:

Did you hit the coyote?

McLernon

Offline Cappy

Action opening on firing
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 05:32:50 PM »
Ha ha very funny. Nope zipped over his back. Finally got some cold weather and they were all over the place. Had one howling at me for about 20min but wouldn't come over to my area, the rancher over the other side ended up taking him.

Offline Center Shot

Action opening on firing
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 04:17:30 AM »
I was having this problem with my .243 and found out it was caused by the shoulder being to far forward on neck sized brass. Do not have the problem with full length resized brass.