Author Topic: Pondering my Next Rifle  (Read 6372 times)

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Pondering my Next Rifle
« on: September 21, 2004, 11:22:56 PM »
I've been stewing about my next rifle for a month or so. I thought and posted about converting a 308 to 307 or 7.62x54R but lost interest in those.  I remember someone posting about interest in a 44 mag to 445 Super Mag conversion a few months ago.  Did it ever come about?

Common sense tells me to just buy a 45-70 Handi and shoot mild trapdoor loads. (I've got a BC but it's not very "Handi")  I also thought about chopping my BC off to 22"-24" as I don't shoot the long range stuff I thought about playing with.  I recall someone else talking about shortening a BC to 28" a while back too.  How'd that turn out?

I've got that ache for something new and I'd prefer something that wasn't "off the shelf" if you know what I mean.  I like having something a little unusual.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
45/70 Handi
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 01:23:26 AM »
A 45/70 Handi rifle with a 22" barrel shooting mild factory loads is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.Ther accuracy will really surprise you.
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline Duce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Pondering my Next Rifle
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 01:46:09 AM »
HH: How about having a hornet barrel rechamber to .22 Zipper (think Marv did that, wonder how it came out) or my favorite Donaldson Wasp.
Have a 30/30 barrel reamed to 30/40 Krag. Just A Couple of Ideas: :grin: Duce:
What ever you'll put up with, is exactly what you'll get!!!!!

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
219 zipper
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 02:49:04 AM »
My 219 zipper turned out fine, Except thr trigger pull on that rifle is
 the shxxs over 4 lbs. when I get time to do a trigger job it be fine.
 I got some 3 shot groups of a 1/4 in when I do my part. Marv.

Offline ajj

• A Real Regular
Pondering my Next Rifle
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 03:18:07 AM »
If you are at all tempted by the 45-70, Stan is right. They're just too much fun and quite accurate.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Pondering my Next Rifle
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 09:54:18 AM »
Just read a good article (I think in American Rifleman) about the Marlin Guide gun in SS hunting caribou in AK.

Short story the two taken were about 125yds and 200yds with 300gr loads (factory I think).  His Iniut guide told him he thought that "little gun too much for caribou".  First was a slightly raking shot he thought was too far back.  Seems it got a lung afterall but second one dropped it on the spot.  

Second one at 200, dropped it in its tracks.

Too bad those old straight walled cartridges are outdated. :grin:
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
Pondering my Next Rifle
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 10:17:35 AM »
Hey I'm still interested in the 445 super mag,if I ever have time to send a reciver in for the 44 barrel. I've read that you can still shoot the 44 mag., and 44 special also. On paper it shows to be in between the 44 mag. and the 444 marlin,so it fills a 600 fps gap between them. Just right for a beginner or lady's gun.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Pondering my Next Rifle
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 03:33:14 PM »
Ian,
  A few months ago, I cut my Buffalo Classic back to 27". It was simple, I could take it to a smith, and have him cut and recrown, or I could take a hacksaw, put the barrel in a jig, and cut it myself. I opted to do it myself. I figured I could always have a smith fix it if I screwed up. It worked just fine. Once it was cut, I polished the end smooth using a Dremel tool with a cut off blade, and held the side of the blade flat againt the muzzle. I then reblued the muzzle end. No crown, and no problems. It shoots just as good as it did before, if not better, and at a much handier length. I had been using a 2.5-8 VX-2 scope before I cut it, so the loss of the front sight didn't matter. I had to have lost some velocity with this move, but it's not noticeable and it was a very worthwhile swap. One thing I found very odd and totally unexpected, it truly seems to have less recoil than it had before.
Don

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Pondering my Next Rifle
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 04:06:45 PM »
Quote from: Big Blue
One thing I found very odd and totally unexpected, it truly seems to have less recoil than it had before.
Don

Don,
The loss of recoil is caused by the ghost effect, sorta like when a human looses a limb, it thinks it's still there and doesn't know the difference, causes a vacuum to form at the muzzle and sucks the rifle forward, reducing felt recoil....... :lol:  :P

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Pondering my Next Rifle
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 11:41:55 AM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
Quote from: Big Blue
One thing I found very odd and totally unexpected, it truly seems to have less recoil than it had before.
Don

Don,
The loss of recoil is caused by the ghost effect, sorta like when a human looses a limb, it thinks it's still there and doesn't know the difference, causes a vacuum to form at the muzzle and sucks the rifle forward, reducing felt recoil....... :lol:  :P
Tim

That's as good of an explanation as any. Could it be that the scar tissue on my shoulder from the old steel butt plate has formed into a callous?
Don

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Pondering my Next Rifle
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 12:00:33 PM »
I've shot behind steel butt plates on heavy kickers before, I'd guess that your shoulder is still numb from nerve damage in addition to the callous! :wink:

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
445 sm.
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2004, 02:05:19 PM »
i ve got a 445 super it is just that super. it wont break the bank like a 45 7o to reload mine has a teflon coated barrel 1970fps with a 200 gr. xtp as far as im concerend its the best deer rifle up to 175yds. low recoil  still shoot 44 and specials.i reload for accuracy not speed there are faster loads.

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Pondering my Next Rifle
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2004, 11:16:33 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, some good ones there.  It looks like my itch scratcher is going to be in the form of a Yugo M48 Mauser this time.  Badnews Bob has one, and he knew it was on my list so when he saw one in a pawn shop for a good price he picked it up.  I'll get it from him this payday.  I haven't seen it yet but he said that it looks to be in as good a shape as his "Mitchell's Mausers" 8mm that he paid $295 for and this one was a wallet friendly $119.  My wife was a little peeved as this has screwed up her christmas plans.   :shock:

later,
Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Pondering my Next Rifle
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2004, 03:13:10 AM »
HH don't let it screw up your wife's Christmas plans. Tell her she can get you another gun for Christmas!! :-D

Offline Deadeye47

Pondering my Next Rifle
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2004, 06:00:49 AM »
Quote from: gwhilikerz
HH don't let it screw up your wife's Christmas plans. Tell her she can get you another gun for Christmas!! :-D
Sounds like this guy is speaking from experience here!  Or you can say dang it it really did screw up the Christmas plans as the mauser was for you honey....and you can get a 45-70 barrel.....:mrgreen:
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
Pondering my Next Rifle
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2004, 09:47:26 AM »
Hey Haywire; I know about the itch,I've had it for about 4 wks. now,and I've gathered up 1 mauser action with a 308 bull barrel, 1 BAR in 7 mag. and a very nice superposed 12 gauge Browning.  The bull barrel 308 with a new Bold trigger was $100, and the 12 gauge was $570, so I think I did good.
Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017