Author Topic: Bolt removal on synthetic stock?  (Read 1841 times)

Offline Mad Dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Bolt removal on synthetic stock?
« on: March 14, 2013, 04:55:15 AM »
Got my new monte carlo stock for my Sportster.  Trying to get the old stock off.  I thought the bolts were 9/16".  I'm having a hard time getting it down in the stock to remove the bolt.  Have they changed the bolt to something like 10mm?  If not, I may have to get a slimmer  ratchet head.  It sticks to the side of the stock as I get close to the bolt face.  Any suggestions?

Mad Dog
Mad Dog

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Bolt removal on synthetic stock?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 04:59:13 AM »
You need a thin-walled 9/16" or 14mm socket.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mad Dog

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 05:01:16 AM »
Thanks quick.  I'm heading to town.

Mad Dog
Mad Dog

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 05:33:50 AM »
Tim, did Choate correct that problem?  I always had a fight even with a thin walled socket on the older stocks, but not with the new.  it seems a lot easier.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 05:57:21 AM »
I never realized it was a problem with any of them until someone mentioned it cuz I've always used a thin-walled socket, just happened to be what I used.  ???  The latest old style stock that I have was the youth stock on the 44mag Compact  ha ha Superlight, it looked to be the same tight fit as the older ones, the new style checkered stocks have more clearance tho.

Some members have resorted to replacing the bolt with a socket head to eliminate the issue, but I've never felt the need, my socket works fine. The secret to not getting the socket stuck on the bolt in the stock is to make the socket fit tight on the extension, I use a piece of plastic bag to do that.  8) Some here have welded or epoxied the socket to a cheap extension, works for them.  ;D

Tim

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 06:08:21 AM »
After the first couple of attempts on the old style, I went to the thin wall, but it was still tight, but workable.  I thought it was "Et up with the Yankee Dumbass".  You'd think Choate could give you a thou or two more clearance in there.  As though it was supposed to go on and never come off.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Mad Dog

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 06:26:55 AM »
Had to hit 3 stores, but finally found a 9/16, that was thin enough to work.  Put the receiver in a vise and tightened it up in a jffy.  Thanks guys! :D

Mad Dog
Mad Dog

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 07:20:00 AM »
I had always grabbed a socket from a cheap set of sockets I had gotten years ago.  Made in Korea or someplace other than the US.  That socket was always in a drawer in my tool chest, and it was extremely thin walled.  Then I almost got rid of all those old tools when the wife gave me a new set of Craftsman tools.  I was changing the stock on my son's Handi, and discovered the Craftsman Socket would not go down the hole.  That old socket now has a home in the gun vault where it won't get lost, and I can always find it.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 02:25:15 PM »
Choate has fixed that problem... the butt stock is wide open now all the way to a full width shelf that the bolt head and washer seats up against... I got two of the deluxe stocks in this week and used a humongous 1/2" ratchet with a thick walled socket and had plenty of room.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline Mad Dog

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 03:09:20 AM »
hoyt,  just ordered the stock from Midway[I assume new] and no way I could get my standard sockets down in there.  the new socket was just thin enough to get the job done.  My socket set is 3/8" drive.

Mad Dog
Mad Dog

Offline hoytcanon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 03:17:24 AM »
hoyt,  just ordered the stock from Midway[I assume new] and no way I could get my standard sockets down in there.  the new socket was just thin enough to get the job done.  My socket set is 3/8" drive.
Mad Dog
Did you buy the deluxe checkered stock? The two I bought came directly from Choate (ordered from their website) they were the stock in the link below... and as I said the stock is wide open until you get to a full width shelf that the stock bolt hole is bored through... I used a monster 1/2 rachet with a big bulky socket and had room to spare... so if your stock is the same, they must have redesigned them. Mine arrived last week, so they are new product.

http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/19-01-18 
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 05:05:47 AM »
The old style stocks are still tight clearanced AFAIK, the new style checkered stocks aren't, they've never  been a problem since they were first offered in 2008.  ;)

Tim

The latest old style stock that I have was the youth stock on the 44mag Compact  ha ha Superlight, it looked to be the same tight fit as the older ones, the new style checkered stocks have more clearance tho.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 05:21:54 AM »
I like the Allen head bolt solution to the problem...  Anyway it worked for me.

Tony

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 05:27:49 AM »
Tony, do they sell the 14" allen wrench at most hardware stores?

Really what do you use, I must be unaware of the tool to reach in there. Thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 05:38:09 AM »
I used a 5/16" hex bit socket for my Huntsman, Slowhanddd sent me one of the socket head bolts after he bought a bunch, have used the tool on the fluted Ultra Varmint stock too.

Tim

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 05:54:25 AM »
Thanks Tim, I may have seen those before but don't have any that I can remember. Have to look. As said I only have a couple of the older syn stocks and I believe the newer ones haven't had the problem. I do remember my Craftsman socket getting stuck in there pretty good a couple times ::)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 05:58:42 AM »
I bought mine in a complete set years ago when I used do my own wrenching, but they sell em individually too, seems to me I've seen em on a Lisle kiosk at auto parts stores.

Tim

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 06:19:20 AM »
Can't do as much wrenching as I used to, everything is in the wrong focal range or position for my eyes >:(  My grandpa was a mechanic all his life, cars and heavy equipment. He died 32 years ago and I got most all of his tools, some I still don't know what they are ::)  Can't seem to get rid of them though. I noticed a couple old style syns on top of the safe yesterday, others are on guns. I'll probably look in the garage for a thinner walled socket, there are several. Thanks, those Allen heads look like a good solution ;)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 06:29:21 AM »
I got my "apprenticeship" mechanican for my grandfather and dad when I was in high school, worked for my grandfather in his shop until I got drafted, trained as a Chinook mechanic in the army, have always done my own work until about 20yrs ago, don't do much work on my cars any more, don't even do oil changes, the Toyota dealer does em for $40 with a discount coupon they have regularly, includes oil, filter, tire rotation and check all fluids, well worth not having to crawl under/around it on my bad knees for me!  ;D

Tim

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 06:47:31 AM »
My eyes are getting so bad I can't find the carburetor or where to put the timing light on these newer cars ;D  I gave up :(

Sorry, I'm a little off topic ;)

Offline hoytcanon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 10:10:42 AM »
My eyes are getting so bad I can't find the carburetor or where to put the timing light on these newer cars ;D  I gave up :(
Sorry, I'm a little off topic ;)

My wheelbarrowz got a broke wheel...

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 10:50:36 AM »
I think I like my gun projects is because I don't have to get down on the ground and crawl under them.  I do miss my bike and car problems but I'm too beat up to work on most of the things they need done.

Back on topic, I'm not sure if I'm going to put a new plastic butt stock on my .17 Hornet when it gets back or go with all new Boyds furniture...

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 10:56:51 AM »
Just depends on how much you plan on carrying it and how far, I'm seriously considering cutting my 17hmr and 17m2 barrels to 16-17" so they're nicer to carry, otherwise with the syn stocks they're pretty muzzle heavy, Pete sold his because of it.

Tim

http://www.bullberry.com/17_HMR_velocities.html

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 11:42:56 AM »
I won't be carrying it much.  I'm pretty arthritic and I don't walk far much these days.  I plan to use it for coyotes and ground squirrels in areas where my .223 would be too much gun.

Tony