Author Topic: Bulge at base of case after shooting in the Handi 270  (Read 1846 times)

Offline s1eeper

• Trade Count: (0)
Bulge at base of case after shooting in the Handi 270
« on: November 27, 2011, 04:36:45 PM »
I finally got out and shot my new 270 with a factory mounted scope.  Weather was crap so I didn't try to sight it in, just see if the bullet went in the general direction the scope said it would.  I was able to get 6" left of a bowling pin at 150yd (30mph ice cold wind at my back) meaning the scope is probably going to be ok and it was awesome just to shoot it.  Only got 5 shots off before the cold was unbearable.  Anyway, I was examining the spent cases and noticed they are bulged out at the base ever so slightly and I am wondering if this is a normality and if they are safe to reload.  If pictures are needed I will get some up.   Thanks!
..and they were Winchester 2705b 130gr rounds

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Bulge at base of case after shooting in the Handi 270
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 05:05:26 PM »
That's normal, little buldge about 1/4 inch up from the case head.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 06:08:48 PM »
most likely it is case head expansion, perfectly normal.  Post pic's of unfired cases along side of the fired ones and post the measurements of unfired and fired cases if you are uncertain.  Several handloaders here and while we rarely agree on the best load, powder, primer or even bullet, all are aware of safe practices.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 10:53:40 AM »
Here's a good tutorial to read by Fred Zeglin, owner of 4D Reamer Rentals.

Tim

That Unsightly Bulge?
Or Does This Brass Make My Chamber Look Big?
Fred Zeglin
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Dorado

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 12:19:36 PM »
My .270 does the same, with every ammo ive tried, 4 different factory loads.

Thanks for that tutorial link quick ;)

Offline Yak Angler

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 04:54:06 PM »
My .270 is the same also, no big deal just forces you to full length re-size if you plan to reload otherwise if you try to just neck size you won't be able to get the cartridge back into the chamber far enough to close the action. I have also limited my brass to 5 reloads max and have had no problems to date. The .270 is the pressure king of the factory handi calibers and this case buldge is much worse than my other handi's.

Offline s1eeper

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 05:19:52 PM »
Sorry for the delay, schools been crazy.  Great replies, thanks so much!  That tutorial is great stuff.  As for reloading I am thinking of just trying to mimic a factory round, like the Winchester or Remington stuff.  Can't decide on using 130 or 150 grain bullets though.

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 01:29:12 AM »
Just for fun, try backing off one or two grains of powder. You will lose velocity of course, but, it will help save the brass and wear and tear on your firearm. I am willing to lose a bit of velocity if my groups start shrinking. My Remington 760 actually shot much better with the reduced loads and my mixed headstamped brass now shows no bulges as you described. Even factory duplication loads appeared a bit "hot" in this rifle, and bottom line is I have no desire to load on the upper end of this cartridges capabilities if my accuracy improves. All but one of my rifles, a .243, prefer a bit milder load and consequently group better. I am not much of a "hot rodder".
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI

Offline Yak Angler

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 02:29:28 AM »
I have found the same to be true Doug, i stay towards the minimum-middle of loads, still plenty of power in the .270 without going to max charges. i have ordered some trail boss which should be arriving soon and can't wait to try it out for a lower noise/recoil alternative to regular .270 loads. I hope to get close to 30-30 performance with a full load of trailboss and i also hope to be able to neck size only as pressure should hopefully be alot less then IMR4350 I use now.

Offline keith44

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 06:09:31 AM »
If the biggest thing hunted with the .270 is whitetail deer you are correct.  There is no need to crank up the pressures just for a few fps.  If you are wanting the meat, a slower bullet speed damages less of it. (assuming you use the right bullet to start with)

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline c1skout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 01:24:44 PM »
 I get the bulge with my 270 also. Mine shoots Sierra 130gn pro-hunter bullets from a tick over the starting load of  H4831 into just over 1/2" at 100yds. I don't always full-length resize and haven't had any problems with neck sizing, but the brass sure wobbles in my Lee zip trim. I've been tossing them after the 6th loading (including the factory load).

Offline possume

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 01:58:24 PM »
ive always had the buldge in my 270  savage 110 i necksize but every 5th reload i fullsize and the brass is never hard to load

Offline D Humbarger

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 03:21:15 PM »
Any buldge at the base is sloppy chambering work due to missalignment of bore & reamer. End of story.
Try to look unimportant.   Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Only Handi so far is a 375 JDJ.

Offline Yak Angler

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 04:30:37 PM »
I would have to agree, i think my .270 barrel must have been the first one cut with a new reamer because the unfired cartridge fit is a bit on the loose side to say the least, im sure someone who gets the last barrel cut before they throw out the reamer probably ended up with a much tighter fit then i did but thats mass production for you. In reality though for a hunting gun i have no complaints it does what it was intended too.