Author Topic: How many different frames?  (Read 4269 times)

Offline bsekf

• Trade Count: (0)
How many different frames?
« on: February 27, 2011, 03:34:35 AM »
I have done a search of the FAQ and don't find an answer.

What is the difference between New England Firearms 980 Ultra Slug, Handirifle, H&R, NEF, etc.

Are the frames all the same?  If not, how many different sized frames?

I have a New England Firearms 980 Ultra Slug and wonder if I can fit a rifle barrel on it?

Thanks,

Bill

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: How many different frames?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 03:54:22 AM »
I have done a search of the FAQ and don't find an answer.

What is the difference between New England Firearms 980 Ultra Slug, Handi Rifle, H&R, NEF, etc.

Are the frames all the same?  If not, how many different sized frames?

I have a New England Firearms 980 Ultra Slug and wonder if I can fit a rifle barrel on it?

Thanks,

Bill

SIZE, only one size. As long as we are speaking on current and recent production frames, In and of them selves, H&R/NEF no appreciable difference. (The one exception is the SIDEKICK black powder receiver. Its smaller from the hinge to the firing pin and no other barrels from the factory will fit.) From the tiny 17 M2 to the 500 S&W or the 10Ga goose gun. The physical size of the frame is the same. Butt stocks and forends are interchangeable.

BUT there is differences between some of them.

Sportster is a rim-fire only receiver. It has a different firing pin and built like a shotgun receiver.

SB1 is primarily a shotgun receiver. Recently it has been fitted with a small firing pin for some pistol calibers like 357mag and 44Mag. (Also used for the Huntsman line of blk powder rifles.)

SB2 is a rifle caliber receiver, safe for about any caliber sans the belted magnums. Even then was chambered for the 450 marlin for a while.

The 098 used on the Ultra Slug guns is kinda a hybrid between the SB1/2 closer to a SB2 rifle receiver. But the factory will not fit rifle calibers to it.

The SIDEKICK is the one exception to the "one size" comment I made above. its a black powder receiver made explicitly to get around the rules some states had about muzzle loading rifles. It also can be sold thru mail order outfits as no paperwork is required.

Then there is the old 158 frames. Used for about everything that H&R chambered. 45-70, 30-30, 357, 44 etc. For all intent and purpose, its pretty much a SB1.

Then some really old models (50+ years ago)  had a tang barrel release. Some time in the 1960's they also changed to a bolt on forend form the snap on so common on dbl barrel shotguns.

This information is in the FAQ's just maybe not all in one place or thread.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (93)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 04:31:16 AM »
Nice post, CW.

I have a feeling that your post will be linked to the FAQ.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 06:15:23 AM »
I'll add a little that hasn't been addressed yet, the 980 12ga USH model number is SB2-980, like all H&R/NEF firearms, the frame type is included in the model number, you can see that on H&R's website, the confusing part on the 10ga shotgun and 12ga USH is they use the same SB2 designation as the rifle SB2 frames!  ::)  The difference and why they won't fit rifle barrels to the SB2 shotgun frame is it's made to accept the much large chamber swell of the 10ga shotgun and 12ga USH barrels which won't fit on either an SB1 Shotgun or SB2 rifle frames. The SB2 shotgun frame is made of the same material as the SB2 rifle frame, investment cast alloy steel, as opposed to the ductile cast iron of the SB1 frame and frames made by H&R Inc prior to 1987, the inside dimension of the SB2 shotgun frame is wider to accept the larger barrels, but the outside dimension is the same as the other frames making the side walls of the frame much thinner, and probably the reason why they made it of better material.

And just an FYI, there is no NEF, hasn't been for a few years. http://www.hr1871.com/Brandtransition/

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 06:58:14 AM »
Then there is another thing you need to remember...just because a bbl may have SB2 stamped on it does not mean the frame is SB2. The only way to tell dif.between SB1 and SB2 is listed in the FAQ'S. Kurt
Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Littlepage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 09:56:40 AM »
What about the 58, 158, and 88 receivers.  Were they all heat treated the same?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 10:00:07 AM »
What about the 58, 158, and 88 receivers.  Were they all heat treated the same?

"Then there is the old 158 frames. Used for about everything that H&R chambered. 45-70, 30-30, 357, 44 etc. For all intent and purpose, its pretty much a SB1.

This information is in the FAQ's just maybe not all in one place or thread.

CW

Pretty much the same as a SB1 Ductile cast iron as Quick calls it. Suitable for shotgun gauges and calibers under 40K cup.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.