Author Topic: CR 45-LC vs. Lead Sled  (Read 2705 times)

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
CR 45-LC vs. Lead Sled
« on: November 10, 2010, 01:39:51 PM »
I recently threw in the towel on shooting my CR 45LC with the open sights after trying various "old guy eyes" tricks. 40 Yds. was the best I could deal with and I wanted at least 80 Yds. So, I mounted a Weaver 4x28 on it and started today getting her zeroed in. Bore sighted and then set up a target at 40 Yds., set the rifle in the old Lead Sled and 1st 3 were on the paper. Adjusted the scope a bit to change the POI and shot 3 more that followed the changes made. On the last shot, I noticed something fly past my head and looked down and saw a piece of the walnut stock had split off the top section.
A really dumb mistake on my part. All my other rifles that I've used in the Lead Sled have a pad of some sort on them and I forgot this Classic Carbine has none, only a steel plate. The Lead Sled has little or no padding on the back, thus each time I fired,it was like I was slamming the butt stock plate with a hammer and the top rear section of the stock took the brunt of each hit. Luckily, only a small piece split off, about 3/8" thick and 1-1/2" long.
Hopefully this error on my part will help someone else in the future avoid a damaged butt stock.

Bill

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
Re: CR 45-LC vs. Lead Sled
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 01:47:24 PM »
OUCH- thats a bummer. (although it was good not to get a piece in the eye) I hope you find another stock or can fix the one you have so it looks ok.  Thanks for the heads up warning to the rest of us. thejanitor

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 02:26:47 PM »
Thanks for the warning Bill, sorry you had to learn the hard way.  :'(  I added it to the FAQs.

I used a tiny sandbag tucked in my Leadsled DFT when I shot the Colt carbine in it last due to warnings on another forum about sleds causing damage to some stocks, a rolled up sock or pad of cloth would work too, something to distribute the pressure evenly.

Tim  
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 04:48:53 PM »
I have been warned by many other folks against using a Leadsled for that exact reason. Even with a decelerator pad, my buddy cracked his fancy wood stocked Winslow .458 Mag.  That rifle even had cross bolts built into the stock to handle recoil better. They were the epicenters of the split/crack. Even a few have warned against using more than one lead-filled bag for counter weight.  Well Bill, look at it this way, now you have an excuse to have a recoil pad installed. I bet no one would ever know it was cracked.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Active Trader until 5-19-14 Graybeard

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 08:21:18 AM »
Thanks for the ideas on alternate methods of cushioning the butt stock Tim. I'll definately be making some modifications. I've got a few ideas to try out.
Dinny, I may have to try a recoil pad anyway. I need a bit more LOP to fit me to the Extended Eye Relief of the scope. A slip on Limbsaver may be on my wish list.

Looking at the shape of the butt stock I began to wonder why the top section was even being hit.

So taking a closer look under the padding I see why. The bottom was actually taking the first lick, then sliding over the small lipped edge before the top smacked into the the back of the sled.

There will be more cushion added in the future for sure.

TJ, a little Gorilla glue took care of the break. It was a nice clean break and of course I know where it was broken but it would be difficult for someone else to spot.

Bill

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 01:18:30 PM »
WOW, Bill!!

I guess I have been lucky!!! I have fired a couple BC stocked Handis, but none have been kickers. I roll up some neopreen padding, just cause I didn't like the crescent stock in the rest.

Most of my kickers wear Limb-saver pads, But problems never entered my head. Heck, the whole reason for the lead sled is to tame heavy recoil!!

I am heading to the range this weekend and just packed the boxes and bags for the trip. The lead sled is rite on top!! The 454 is getting the nod for opening day this year.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 09:51:37 AM »
Whooh,  back me up, turn me around....start me again.......the .45 LC is a handgun round......what's it doing splitting rifle stocks?  Mine shoots like a contented kitty and not a cougar.  The heaviest load I can put in that case feelsl like half a .45-70.  Guys, it aint some super thing....it's a pistol round...you hold it in your hand, it goes bang and the bad guy is laying face down dead in the street.  Shooting it out of a rifle is childs play.....I haven't a clue why you'd use a lead sled.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 10:40:05 AM »
The Leadsled DFT is very friendly to shooting break barrels since the front rest is adjustable, you can reload without moving the rifle off the rest.  I prefer it over any other kind of rest that I've used so far, not for recoil reducing, which is does an excellent job even without any added weight which is how I use it,  but as a solid bench shooting platform.  ;) BC stocks are fragile at the toe and heel, H&R broke one of mine when I sent it in for another 45-70 barrel, they sent me a new replacement after I emailed them a pic. 

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain