Author Topic: A stock finish I like..  (Read 1805 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
A stock finish I like..
« on: November 09, 2010, 11:17:27 AM »
  I start with a Krylon 'fusion" plastic adaptable paint for a primer. Once thoroughly dry, I go over it with American Accents "STONE" finish (by Rustoleum) after thoroughly dry I finish with Krylon clear/flat ...
  This provides a good grip and covers any scratches or imperfections very well. I especially like to finish my NEF synthetics with this. Photos do not do it justice since it is a good semi-camo finish
  Top rifle finished with flat clear while bottom one has semi clear. There are 3-4 different shades of "STONE".
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: A stock finish I like..
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 11:22:36 AM »
Nice work IG, added to the FAQs, thanks!!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 11:50:57 AM »
  You're certainly welcome Tim, hope it helps others. As I said, photos don't do it justice and if the stock is rough for any reason..this makes a nice, uniform cover. That lower rifle is an Anschutz "woodchucker" to which I added about 21/2 " of stock, leaving a visible seam, the schnabel tip is made from that "froggy" stuff (like dough) one readies for use by kneading together, I just drilled angled holes in the stock tip and applied the froggy, shaping it by hand and finishing with a file..all covered nicely.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 03:54:16 AM »
IG,

Very nice work!  I agree with you on a paint that improves the grip on the weapon.  I have recently been afflicted with the Stimpylu virus and have started painting some of my rifles.  I will have to give the "stone" paint a try on my 10/22.

thanks

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 04:19:55 AM »
I used some of that paint on a couple ammo boxes I use in the field.
Better pay attention and remember where you laid them down at......... :o
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member