Author Topic: Old H&R Frame Disassembly models 1900, 1905, 1908 and 1915 (I think!!)  (Read 7321 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
I decided I wanted to kill a turkey with this old gun, I hunted with it when I was a kid, killed lots of grouse, pheasant and a few ducks with it, and my Dad killed a tom with it in 1996, we called it in close and he shot it with regular high base 2¾ #6 loads, he wouldn't shoot magnums in it!  :D It has a full choke which Federal recommends for their Flitecontrol ammo, so I decided to try it, but after getting the gun back from my uncle who acquired it after Dad died, I found it full of about 100yrs of dirt,  so I disassembled it to clean it, the steel  trigger guard has only one pin in it that is also the trigger hinge, no lower front pin as on newer H&Rs. The large coil spring is the main spring or hammer spring and is a bear to remove if done incorrectly (which I learned after the fact!! ::)), if you cock the hammer, you should find a hole in the the rear of the main spring guide(part 56 on the 1900 parts diagram), the hole on mine was full of dirt just like the rest of the action and why I decided to cleqn it in the first place before I shoot it, so I didn't see it, should have figured the notch was for something tho, but hindsight is always more accurate than forethought!!  I put a yellow paper clip in the hole for clarification, you cock the hammer and hold the hammer all the way back, insert a pin in hole, then the hammer can be lowered and the spring is held in place preloaded and can be removed for disassembly. Pins are smooth, so they can be removed from either side.

Hope this helps someone,

Tim

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/HarringtonRichardson-33274/Shotguns-36451/1900-40868.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Tim,

I have the 1900 vintage receiver, 28 gauge, sitting in my shop.  It is my best friend's grandfathers old gun and I am in process of fixing up the furniture so he can have a pretty wall hanger.  You got me thinking about a working on the iron parts and maybe returning him a useable firearm.  The gun has not been fired in probably 30 years we shall see how this goes.   BTW I didn't know H&R offered camo guns in 1900. ;)

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
 ;D ;D Dad painted it and put a rear sight on it for turkey hunting, just a slotted screw in the firing pin retainer screw hole, but it worked. He also soldered a sling mount to the barrel which I'll be using. I've drilled the front bead mounting hole out to mount a Firesight on it, have the chamber drilled with a single blind hole to mount a Williams WGRS, I have an order in at MCK Tool for a 6-48 plug tap to tap both holes, then I'll mount both sights using Black Max 380 Loctite or epoxy and the single screws. It will be painted flat black when I get all done, I'll post a pic.

Tim

Offline TxGun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Retired
Yes, please post some pics! Nothing cooler than bringing an old one like that back and giving it a useful life again. Plus, it's just a lot of fun.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Tim this is a great sounding project and I,along with everyone else I'm sure, can't wait to see some pics.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
I got the barrel tapped and the front sight screw trimmed so it's flush with the bore, that was a real trial and error project!!  :-X The stock needs some repair, has several cracks in the wrist area that needed glue, fixed that yesterday, will do some sanding next and then paint it, should be ready for pics and shooting in a day or two.  ;)

thx,

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
All done, just need to pattern it! While looking at paint, the Krylon Fusion Ultra-flat camo colors caught my eye, so I decided on olive instead of black.

Tim

Offline matthew_h

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
very nice , the sights look perfect for a turkey gun .the paint job is nicely done as well . have you tried to do camo with some of the foliage from were you hunt ? that can turn out very well , i have done it before on synthetic stocked guns as i don't much care for all black guns . 

Offline bikerbeans

Very nice Tim your dad would have loved it!

My buddies 1900 must have been the standard model, it didn't come with a recoil pad. ::)

BB

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
Thanks guys, I thought about adding some more camo colors, but for now I just want to make sure it shoots good first, may "customize" it later. The pad is an Uncle Mike's that I bought years ago, it already had some camo paint on it, wasn't showing signs of chipping or peeling and it fit good. ;)

Tim

Offline TheCoachZed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Who wants some?
Re: Old H&R Frame Disassembly models 1900, 1905, 1908 and 1915 (I think!!)
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 12:07:44 PM »
Beside my troubled H&R model 48 I also have a model 1900.

It's an awesome shotgun, and if I could figure out how to tighten up the action, it'd see a lot more use. The blueing is all gone, the forend is chipped and raggedy-looking, the stock is cracked, but it always goes bang, even after being dumped in a creek last year in a canoeing accident. The only trouble I've had with it is the extractor doesn't always work (it got rusted up a bit after falling in the creek and some WD40 always fixes it).

I had it out at the camp last year shooting clays and I was amazed at how far I could bust them up with this shotgun.
My avatar is pretty much what I look like out in the woods - except I am not a "chick" in any sense of the word.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 12:17:40 PM »
Add a shim to the hinge pin, I first shimmed mine when I was a kid 50 some yrs ago using brass shim stock, Dad had what appeared to be a pop can shim in it after using it for his turkey. I just replaced the shim using .004" steel shim stock that I use for barrel fitting, I just put a wrap around the hinge pin and it locks up like new again. You can make a permanent shim following the barrel fitting info in the FAQs, the latch info there doesn't apply as these old guns have a different latch assembly, but you can tighten it up just fine.

Mine had several splits in the stock, I just wedged them apart and used waterproof wood glue in them forcing it in the cracks with a sheet of paper and my fingers, then removed the wedge and wiped the excess off, the wrapped the stock with several wraps of string to clamp it tight together.

Tim

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (151)
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 04:27:14 PM »
hey tim, nice job on the old gun. hope this ain't off on too much of a tangent but figger if anyone can help it would be you. here's my question-i have an old h&r with very good to excellent case colors and on the side is: harrington & richardson firearms worcester massechusetts feb27 1900. is this a model 1900 or does it have another mod#? i'd like to know as it has been extended for "match" shooting also has a couple of really ugly holes for a scope mount right over the chamber and i'd like to see if i could find another barrel and need to know what i'm lookin' for. also, no guts in the fore-end as it was removed when some "genious" very poorly fitted a newer .357 barrel to it and took them out and drilled it out for fore-end screw. my action isn't rounded of at the back like yours but otherwise looks like it. sorry for ramblin' so and any help you can give is much appreciated, bubba.
fetch the hammer maggie-they's a bee on the baby's head!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 05:19:33 PM »
Some of the 19XX models had square tangs according to Numrich if that's the part you mean, maybe you can figure out what it is by their parts, although they're kinda generic, use the drop down on the left to sort thru to the H&R shotguns. Mine was easy to figure out what model it is since it's a complete gun using the BB of Values, and it is marked the same as yours is.

I wouldn't recommend shooting the 357 barrel on it, those old guns were never made for rifle barrel in any model variation, there's a real serious potential to blow the firing pin right out the back into the shooter face as happened to Dieselbuilder's, fortunately he fired his remotely due to my warning, it's in the FAQs. The 357mag has a SAAMI MAP of 35kpsi, over 3 times the pressure of a shotgun round.

Tim

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,121724.msg1098413838.html#msg1098413838

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 06:48:34 PM »
thanks for the help. near as i can figger from descriptions it's mod 1908 and surprise, surprise they show barrels as being available. sorry for the confusin' description, what i meant is sides of action are flat all the way to stock and not rounded at the grip. thanks again and have a good'en friend, bubba.

by the way, the 357 barrel is long gone! with all the grindin', shimmin' and monkey-riggin' that went on i wouldn't have shot it even if it wasn't on a nearly 100 yr old shotgun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 07:42:47 PM »
Sounds like mine, the flat sides end about ¼" from the stock and turns to round where it meets the stock, hope ya get it shootin again, but I'll be honest, those used barrels aren't much less than the cost of complete new Pardner!!  :D

Tim

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 08:55:06 PM »
+1 on those prices. what's yer thoughts on buyin' a cheap 20ga barrel for a blank and sleevin' it down to a smaller gauge? have plenty of low brass 20's to play with. just wonderin'. even tho' you're right about the price, somethin' about the old ones just appeals to me. thanks again for all yer help, bubba.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 03:59:39 PM »
Sounds like a fun project, I think Track has some economical liners.

Tim

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 08:01:53 AM »
I think you're better off with that olive paint.  Black is actually not a 'natural' color in the woods.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2010, 08:29:47 AM »
I think you're better off with that olive paint.  Black is actually not a 'natural' color in the woods.

I don't think black makes a bit of difference as long as it's matte, it certainly made no difference to this tom even tho I was still swinging on him while he was less than 30yds away looking right at me!!  ;D

Tim

Offline bikerbeans

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 12:34:54 PM »
Black bears are unnatural?