Author Topic: Ilion and automatic trigger adjustment  (Read 3971 times)

Offline Rangeball

• Trade Count: (1)
Ilion and automatic trigger adjustment
« on: January 22, 2010, 05:42:18 AM »
I recently acquired an NEF SB2 receiver for a project.  The trigger is perfect, tight and crisp and breaks cleanly and consistently at a measured 2.5#.  Really sweet :)

I had planned to send the receiver in to Ilion for a few barrels, but remembered reading something here about them re-adjusting triggers to factory spec if they have it in their hands, but couldn't find where I read that.  I PMd Quick, who told me that was SOP for Gardner but he wasn't sure what Ilion was doing.

I had an email contact for a Marlin/Remington guy that was overseeing H&R in some capacity, so I asked him, since calling CS doesn't seem to always produce the correct answer from what I've read.  I got a reply this morning from a different Remington guy, as apparently the original guy I emailed has moved on to Colt.  I asked him if it was ok to share the info, and he said yes, so-

"If the trigger pull is 3.5 to 6 lbs, we will not touch the trigger."

Guess I need to go with plan B, as this trigger is fantastic and I don't want it touched.

EDIT 10/29/2010: Ilion's current policy on trigger adjustment is free if it's over their limit of 5.5lbs, otherwise it's $20 plus shipping.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Ilion and automatic trigger adjustment
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 05:51:03 AM »
That's sounds similar to Gardner's policy, but I think their threshold was 5lbs max, but that's been a while since it was discussed, Ilion may also just be more stringent as they are with the '96-'99 SB2 frames.  :-\

Thanks for sharing the info, I'm adding it to the FAQs.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Rangeball

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 08:58:47 AM »
No problem Tim.  I'm actually disappointed, as I wanted to pick up a couple factory barrels.  And of course the ones I want are hot hot hot when they hit the classifieds here, so I may never get them :(

Oh well, I guess the moral of the story is, don't go lower than 3.5# if you want factory barrels down the road.

Offline dk17hmr

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 11:17:28 AM »
Find another trigger group and put it in to ship it to them than put your good trigger back in when you get it back. ???
Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline Rangeball

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 03:34:27 AM »
That's a heck of an idea... Can they tell if the trigger group isn't from the same gun, or I guess it doesn't even matter.  Are all trigger groups the same for both actions, or are they shotgun/rifle specific?

Offline whitetailmaniac

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
  • Chris, Texas
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 03:40:18 AM »
They are both the same. The part you are going to have to swap out is the hammer. I have a SB2 that has the lightest trigger I have felt on a handi from the factory. I plan on putting the hammer for my 410 on it when it ships back for more barrels.

Chris

Offline Rangeball

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 04:34:02 AM »
Hammer controls the poundage of the pull?

Offline whitetailmaniac

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
  • Chris, Texas
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 04:42:39 AM »
The sear is located on the bottom part of the hammer. This is the part you hone while doing a trigger job.

Chris

Offline Rangeball

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 04:54:51 AM »
Sweet.

Thanks!

Offline arg2761

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 05:36:08 AM »
Just a note on what determines pull weight.

I worked on my trigger and brought it down from 3.25 to 2.5 lbs without honing the hammer sear or the trigger.
I only reduced friction by polishing pins, holes and contact surfaces (as described by Perklo).

argon