Author Topic: Will Second Hand Barrels Fit?  (Read 7425 times)

Offline elsie

• Trade Count: (0)
Will Second Hand Barrels Fit?
« on: December 08, 2009, 11:42:16 AM »
What's the deal with having to send a Handi to the factory to have a barrel fit to it.  Are the extra barrels that are for sale on GBO going to need a lot of tweaking to fit and be accurate?  What does the factory do to it that we couldn't?  Anything major that has to be done?    I want to get another barrel but I don't want to send it to the factory.  Quick, you the man tell me.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: fitting barrels to an SB2 frame
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 11:47:59 AM »
That's been asked about a million billion times, sometimes second hand barrels fit fine, sometimes they don't and they need to be fitted, some a lot, some a little, that's when the barrel fitting info in the FAQs comes in handy, barrels and frames aren't one size fits all, if they were, they'd cost as much as a TC.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline reetired

Re: Will Second Hand Barrels Fit?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 10:32:39 AM »
I sent mine in for a 223 barrel. The local gunsmith charged a fee for his time (a couple of dollars). It didn't take very long and I know it has been fitted and headspaced correctly. That was in 2005 and at that time the total cost was under $100. You only have to send the reciever. To me it was worth the money. All the onfo is on the H&R website. Check it out.
everyday above ground is a good day.

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 05:24:52 PM »
This thread reminds me of something I saw, thought about, but never went back to verify. Apparently Rossi is offering accessory barrels for sale over the counter, no fitting required, at quite reasonable prices. Now, with the use of CNC machining centers that could be possible, but as Tim suggests, that usually costs a lot more. Besides, has CNC technology reached the Amazonian jungle yet ?
There are a heck of a lot of Rossi receivers out there that are old enough that they were machined manually, and are probably NOT universally interchangeable.

My Handi wish list is that H&R1871 gets 10 CNC machining centers and starts turning out jillions of barrels that fit everything, for any cartridge you order, all for the same price as now.

Well, Christmas is coming, can't I wish a little ?

Offline ardeekay

• Avid Poster
handi barrel interchangability...
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 01:20:53 PM »
I picked a used 243 handi a while back, and just bought a used 270 barrel..... I tried the 270 bbl on the 243 frame, and it fit fine...(but not the forend)  it opens, closes, locks up, and dri fires fine, I haven't fired it yet... my question is are they all like that or did I get lucky??    Bob

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
Re: handi barrel interchangability...
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 01:24:45 PM »
It is not uncommon; nor is it the norm. You got lucky. Enjoy.
[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 01:33:32 PM »
Just to be sure check out the FAQ's for the fitting instructions an make all the measurements just to be sure before you fire it.  I'd hate to see you make an ash of yourself! ;D

Offline geezer56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (102)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 01:58:14 PM »
And don't dry fire it.  That is the quickest way known to break transfer bars and other small bits.  I have replaced several of the transfer bars for other folks because of dry firing.  Get snap caps or make some.

Offline ardeekay

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 09:53:54 AM »
Thanks for the input... Geezer, I should of clarified, I slip my left index finger in there to soften the hammer drop.. you brought up a great point, never dri-fire metal to metal.  Some times if my fingertip gets" chicken", I use a big old pink slip-on  pencil eraser..Bob

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 12:20:15 PM »
In general, I would say that about 60% of my barrels fit with no fitting required... another 25%  or so require only minor fitting and the rest take a little more work... IME.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline rd35

Will Second Hand Barrels Fit?
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 11:32:25 PM »
And don't dry fire it.  That is the quickest way known to break transfer bars and other small bits.  I have replaced several of the transfer bars for other folks because of dry firing.  Get snap caps or make some.
How would you make a snap cap? I was thinking about dry firing my new .35 Whelen using a spent round a bunch of times to loosen up the trigger. Would that work?

Offline watsisname

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 01:34:36 AM »
"How do you make a snap cap?"
I use a spent case, resized and deprimed. Then I place a piece of hard rubber instead of a primer in the primer pocket (use a little RTV silicone to hold it in place). Now your firing pin will strike rubber!

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 06:23:43 AM »
Why, Buffalo Horn, of course, just like the vintage dbl. gun shooters used as a 'striker block'. It was said it had 'just the right resistance to dampen the blow'. Im thinking a hockey puck might make a suitable replacement? Meanwhile, I pressed some primer sized turned brass (copper would do too) into some cases. They are holding up well.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 06:43:22 AM »
See Homemade Snapcaps in the FAQs, lots of ways to skin a cat..... or save a t-bar!  ;)

Tim

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGNI_enUS492US492&q=Homemade+Snapcaps
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 07:06:39 AM »
I use a thick rubber "O" ring, you can get a box of them for a buck or two.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.