Author Topic: Latch shelf repair  (Read 2955 times)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Latch shelf repair
« on: August 27, 2009, 06:19:52 PM »
For a re-chamber to 22 Hornet and some dies (which I still have to deliver) I aquired a .270 extractor barrel that someone had filed the latch shelf so far that it would not lock up and had also changed the angle about 15 degrees.  This barrel was hosed up for sure.  I've been thinking about this for a while, so this is what I did:  I milled the latch shelf flat withoug regard to angle, just cleaned it up and made it flat.  Next I cut a key way across the face of it.  Next I made up a thick shim with a male key built in that fit in the key cut in the latch shelf.  I used some barrel steel for it.  After I fit it in I soft soldered it in place.  I put the key in to keep the latch from shearing off the shim (about .100 thick).  All I have left is to machine the latch shelf to the proper angle and height now, just got too late to finish tonight.  Took a couple of pictures after I got it soldered together.  Think I should be afraid to shoot it?  Larry

A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Latch shelf repair
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 06:33:52 PM »
Larry - you continually amaze me. What an innovative idea. I think that once you machine in the proper angle and it locks up tight, you have a winner. I see no reason that it would be just as safe as one that was not "modified". In fact it might be better, as the barrel steel is more than likely a better quality steel than the lug itself (less wear anyway). As always, Good Luck and Good Shooting.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 06:41:41 PM »
That's what you were talking about, now I understand.  Just got back into town tonight, will try to get those barrels sent off to you Monday, after being gone from work this long, I'm sure I won't get out of the office to get them mailed Friday.  Good news is, cabin is done on the outside.  Huntin camp is gonna be much nicer this year.  Canvas tents are good, but it's pretty windy at camp, and that canvas can sure wake a guy up when ya think the thing is gonna take off and leave ya! :o  Don't care how tight ya think ya get it, that wind can sure make it pop and crack sometimes.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 08:06:48 PM »
Good work Larry, looks good to me, I'd shoot it!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 03:17:03 AM »
Count me with Quick on this, I would not hesitate to shoot it.
a armed man is his own master

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 04:16:34 AM »
No reason seen why I wouldn't shoot it!

If you are concerned that the solder may not hold, I'd just find an arc welder and tack it on each side where the keyway is.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 06:08:37 AM »
Larry - you continually amaze me.

+1   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 08:35:37 AM »
Here it is finished and it does lock up nice and tight.  Larry

A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 08:58:00 AM »
I think you are ready for a range session ;)
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 10:46:55 AM »
Do you guys think it would be ethical to sell this if I told about the repair?  I have absolutly no use for a .270, I have a 25-06 and a couple of30-30's.  I just don't know if it would be right to sell it.  Larry

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 11:34:23 AM »
I wouldn't be afraid to buy it, if I wanted one.  Just post a link to this thread in your ad. 

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 11:52:18 AM »
Do you guys think it would be ethical to sell this if I told about the repair?  I have absolutly no use for a .270, I have a 25-06 and a couple of30-30's.  I just don't know if it would be right to sell it.  Larry

Post it as is, make offer, and take the highest offer after a set date!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 12:01:16 PM »
Larry,
 Your an honest man, post it up and tell/show what you did to fix it up. Yours is good solid work, don't second guess yourself. I trust your work every time I place my face on the 32-20.  ;D ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 12:46:44 PM »
OK.  Larry

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 02:03:23 PM »
I am ashamed I didn't see this post earlier :-[ or I would have posted for sure. 
I will let you all know how the barrel performs as soon as I can, given if it locks up tight on my SB-2's and if it needs shimming or not. Looks great though larry, I believe it will do just fine... though just in case I might throw caution to the wind and strap it down to an old tire for the first safety firing :P 8)

-Aaron

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 02:19:28 PM »
I've tied more than one gun to a tree for the first shot.  Larry

Offline myarmor

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 02:34:11 PM »
 ;D Well I didn't want to offend you.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 02:45:08 PM »
put me down on the side that says it's safe. Probably better than from the factory. I would shoot it and feel safe. Just disclose the work when you put it up and I am sure it would be fine....<><....:) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 02:47:11 PM »
Just disclose the work when you put it up and I am sure it would be fine....<><....:) 

It's already been put up and sold!!  ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline myarmor

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 02:49:37 PM »
Well I agree.  Larry, you mentioned you used barrel steel, was this extra from a shotgun barrel? Just curious...

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2009, 03:19:33 PM »
A .270 has some serious zip to it, I would be behind a big tree with a tire 10 yards out.  Larry

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2009, 03:23:48 PM »
I really didn't complete the story, first time I machined the latch I cut it too low, so I made a new shim from a lathe tool shank that holds carbide inserts, it is not as hard as tool steel, but I had to use a carbide end mill to cut it, so this one is harder than barrel steel.  The barrel steel I used origionally was from a British 303 barrel.  Larry

Offline wtroger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2009, 04:23:15 PM »
The latch shelf work like a wedge and as long as the insert Larry put in stays put (and it will because it is soldered in) there won't be an issue. The underlugs on these are fairly soft and Larry has used a lot better grade of steel than the factory has ever used. Beautiful work Larry

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2009, 02:05:57 AM »
Larry

Just something to think about if you ever have to do another one like that , maybe cut a slight dovetail at the bottom of the key way , that would hold it even if for some reason the solder should fail .

We used to do that for die inserts in plastic injection molding dies , just as a safety to prevent any mishaps should the insert become loose for any reason .

stimpy

PS -- The 5mm RF barrel is still shooting like a champ  ;)
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2009, 05:45:20 AM »
I should pick up some dovetail cutters, I have had use for them in the past also.  I was more concerned about a shear force, so I think the key way will take care of that.  I am probably over worrying the problem, I usually do.  Glad the 5mm is still working, I have had others ask for one, but they are a giant pain to make, so I think yours will remain a one of a kind.  Larry

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2009, 09:53:19 AM »
Larry.
There is really no reason to be alarmed about your shelve repair.
The reason is that the uplift pressuere ore force is relativly very small compared to back thrust against the standing breech.

The uplift is the result of the hinge pin is below the center of the main thrust. If you were to clamp the action in a strong vise
with the latch fully engaged you would actually bend the barrel before anything would let go on the latch or the latch pin would shear off which is also most unlikly.

I have a math calculation that would proof this fact, since this question came up some years ago. Your repair on the latch is totally sound and well done.

When at times the rifle opens after a discharge of a cartridge as a result of practically no or very little latch support, the breech or chamber end of the barrel moves up just enough to eject the fired case. This again shows only minimal thrust.
Fred M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2009, 10:05:07 AM »
We'll get a good report in a week or so.  After you figure out how to get the proper angle on the shelf, the fix is amazingly easy to do.  When you measure a factory shelf, it isn't parallel or at 90 degrees to any other surface on the gun, so you have to make a little tool to set it up right in the mill.  Larry

Offline myarmor

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2009, 11:15:08 AM »
Well, I got the barrel in the mail just a little while ago, and it looks great. Larry did a very nice job, it looks better then a factory job I can tell you that. Also good news, is that it fit up to the first SB-2 frame I tried and locked up tight...no wiggles ;D i'm stoked to say the least. I do reload often for my other 270 (M70) but I will not have a chance soon to do so for this one just yet :-[...but not to fret, I will pick up a couple boxes of Federals and give her a go. I am short on extra scopes, so I will rob a Bushnell Trophy 3-9 and mount her up.... pics soon to come as I rummage for another digital camera :P

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2009, 03:50:59 PM »
Can this go into the FAQ's for future reference??

Spanky

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 03:58:09 PM »
I think we should hold off a little and see if it really works.  Larry