Author Topic: Can you have a scope rail and iron sights on a Handi at the same time  (Read 2390 times)

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
And use the iron sights by taking off the scope but not the rail?

Just picked up a new in box NN serial number 30-30 with a synthetic stock. It comes with iron sights, and is tapped for a rail.

I am not so good with irons, and was thinking of sending it in to have a rail mounted while getting another barrel. Does Remington do this?

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
Re: Can you have a scope rail and iron sights on a Handi at the same time
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 04:30:23 AM »
Most times the scope hits the rear sight, but if you get the right scope, and the right rings you can do it.  the sights are fine with the rail mounted.  Just order the rail and mount it yourself.  the holes are already there.  If you can mount a scope, you can install the rail.

Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 04:33:59 AM »
+1 on what Kev said!  I have a K2.5 on my 45/70 along with open sights.  No problem.  But ya know, I've never tried to look throught the open sights over the rail...  :-\
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 04:43:28 AM »
Most of the local sporting goods stores have rails in stock and wally world sometimes.  Like Kevin said it is pretty simple to install.  It is probably covered in the FAQ or Help, I can't remember, but I find something new every time I read them.
NRA Life Member

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 06:54:28 AM »
I haven't seen any rings that would allow that, but they could be out there.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 07:07:03 AM »
Every iron sighted barrel that I've had you can barely see the top of the rear sight over the scope rail, much less see thru the sight, so unless you have real high rear sights,  unless you use see-thru rings like the Ironsighter that use no base,  or a much lower profile scope base, it probably won't work.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline kingj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 08:03:23 AM »
What I did was shorten a weaver 82 so you can see the sights and used high quick release rings to clear the rear sight.
This is on a 1996 .357 with the old type sights.
Character 24 hours a day 7 days a week !

Life Member NRA
.357 Handi
.35 Handi

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 08:38:34 AM »
You can revamp a Weaver #62 base that is 1/2 the thickness of the #82 and this will work for getting the height down somewhat. You have to drill a hole in the mount to match up with the middle hole in the barrel. Then hog out one of the other holes to make it line up with all three screw holes in the barrel. I just used an oversize drill bit to match the countersink for the #6 fastners that come with the #62 mount. I would imagine you could mount some type of see thru mounts on the rail.

For me it put me in perfect alignment with my cheek weld to the stock and line of sight with the scope. The rail is shorter in length and allows you to leave the rear sight on the barrel if you wish. I'll post a pick of one that I just finished installing on an older Topper barrel.

Below an installation on a Tracker II barrel.

Offline murphdog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 10:04:58 AM »
I have a 44 mag barrel, with H&R’s weaver-style rail attached.  On top is a short shotgun scope that does not interfere with the rear sight.  When I take off the scope and rings, I can easily see the rear sight notch over the top of the rail on MY rifle.  From the posts, it sounds like this may not be true of all H&R’s.  Before the last 2 deer seasons I have sighted in the iron sights as well as my scope just in case of scope damage, and for me the iron sights work well for targets.  I have a harder time with them in the woods, dim light, etc. 
Duane