Author Topic: Novelty item for Quick (Done)  (Read 9244 times)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Novelty item for Quick (Done)
« on: December 27, 2008, 03:54:29 PM »
We are still kind of stuck inside for a few more days, so, from total scrap, I am making up a Handi related item.  When I am done the pictures will enable someone to make one like it and they may find it useful, they have been asked for in the past and I consider them more of a novelty than a real useful thing.  These are first two pictures, tomorrow I will do a little more when the JB weld is set.  If you figure it out don't tell.  Have fun Quick, I will send it off to you when it is finished.   I really appreciate all your work on this site.  Larry

A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Novelty item for Quick
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 04:24:53 PM »
Hmmm, I hope it's not what I'm thinkin it looks like so far!!!  :o

Thanks Larry!!( I think!!!! :D)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 05:31:57 AM »
 ??? ??? :o  Can't wait to find out.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 10:06:22 AM »
??? ??? :o  Can't wait to find out.  DP

Me too.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 10:09:59 AM »
Can't post any more pictures without giving it away, so here it is.  It is a 22 Hornet chamber adaptor for a 12 gauge shotgun barrel.  The .22 barrel I had is only about 12 inches long, but it will prove out wheter or not it will work.  I am going to put an ejector in it that will couple into the shotgun ejector so you don't have to dig out the empty after each shot.  It should be adaptable to other cartridges, I just happen to have a .22 barrel and a Hornet reamer.  This is the progress so far.  Larry

A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 10:15:48 AM »
What a relief, I thought maybe you were making a zip gun!!  :o  Very interesting Larry.  ;)

Tim

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 10:38:38 AM »
COOL!  Larry, the 223 ejector will be on the way Monday.  Had looked for my New punch set for a day, then broke down and bought another set.  Should be finding the first set soon now, that is the way it works for me. ;D  DP  (At least I know they aren't on the floor.)
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 04:47:45 PM »
I cut the groove for the second ejector to run in and then cut back the rim area so the shotgun ejector will not catch the rim on the barrel/chamber adaptor.  Tomorrow I will work on making the ejector.  Larry

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 05:02:54 PM »

Kind of reminds me of the gizzmo Fox made, at least I think it was Fox. they called it the four tenner for shooting .410's in a 12 ga. IIRC the one I saw had an "O" ring on the front od the barrel to keep the .410 barrel centered in the 12 ga.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 06:28:07 PM »
This one will have an O ring on it also, will hold it in the barrel plus keep it straight.  Larry

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 03:35:28 PM »
Didn't do to much today, the Wife was a little sick.  I did drill a hole through the slot for the ejector to keep it from falling out or slipping all the way aft when the rifle is open or the adaptor is out of the shotgun.  If you want to drill a hole through a barrel to pin something, it makes it dead easy if you just mill a little flat on it where you want the hole to go, then just drill it like it is a flat piece, keeps the drill from running all over the place.  Larry

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 04:07:36 PM »
Hey didn't I just mention this to ya in a PM Larry? Cool to see it taking shape. There was a 22hornet to 28 gage adapter in the general classified adds one day I saw.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 04:28:38 PM »
Got me thinking to see if it could be done and have it eject also.  Larry

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 04:35:55 PM »
I'd never mind seeing one in 32-20 for a 12 gauge. ;)
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 05:01:20 PM »
If this works out then it would work for a 32-20, only problem is, if you were to have to make any money at it, you would have to charge about $300.00 for one. I think they really aren't too useful, (thats why I called a Novelty)  I cannot imagine that you could hope to get it to shoot less than minute of phone book if it is held centered by rubber O rings.  Like I said, seems to be just what Quick needs to take up space and we can all see if it will work or not.  It would be dead easy to do if you did not want it to eject.  Larry

Offline dk17hmr

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 08:15:05 PM »
I have one like this for a 28gauge to 22 hornet, the one Billy mentioned is in the classifieds.  Its cented with an O-ring but there is not provisions for shell extraction.  I have no real use for it as I have a Handi Hornet and how accurate can you really be if all you are using is a bead front sight.

I think it would be more usefull if you epoxied it in the barrel, basically a liner, cut the ejector/extractor slot and cut the shotgun barrel off at the end of the liner.  Another thought I had was cut the shotgun barrel shorter 1/2" or so than the liner then thread the liner for a AR-15 style muzzle break, and tighten it down the muzzle break so that it holds the liner in place. Of course drill and tap for a scope.

I like your idea of using the shotgun ejector to power an extractor/ejector for the insert, very good idea.
Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 05:35:32 AM »
We will see if it will work.  Larry

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 01:29:51 PM »
Before I spent time on the ejector I thought I would shoot it first to see if it would blow up.  I killed a phone book in the basement, so things are good I think.  This was origionally a RF Handi barrel, but the primer looked good and the case extracted easily, so forward we go.  Larry

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 04:20:22 PM »
Rusty, I pulled out my "Four Tenner" adaptor today. Mine is made for a 16 gauge to .410 and is like new in the box with all the paper advertising inserts. It was made by Savage Arms in Westfield Mass and does have an O-ring on the front to keep it centered in the bore. The one problem with the "Four Tenners" was that after extracting the shells the extractor had to be pushed back by hand or you would bend it when you tried to close the action (on a single or double of course)....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 03:33:25 PM »
I haven't done much, but I have the ejector roughed in, I will put a 1/16th roll pin in place of the drill to hold the ejector in and not let it fly out he back when it ejects.  Just a little more work, I will cut an O ring groove up the barrel some and get it finished off in a few days. Someone else may be able to come up with a better ejector design.   Larry

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 03:39:03 PM »
If it works as good as it looks, it'll be great!! ;)

Tim

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 04:50:32 PM »
Just a little more tonight, I am off to watch TV and drink.  Larry

Offline dk17hmr

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2009, 05:27:57 PM »
Larry,

I really like the ejector/extractor design.  Is the 12 gauge barrels ejector going to index the insert so its the same everytime?

To get the insert out how about a 2 prong wrench like the old Huntsmans, turn the insert enough so the shotgun ejector catchs the rim and pops it out a bit so you can grab it with out needing a rod to tap it out?
Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 06:14:29 PM »
That is a great idea, I can do that!  Larry

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 01:44:02 PM »
Nearly done, I need to cut an "O" ring groove, clean it all up, put a couple of holes in the breach end for the clocking wrench, parkerize it and send it off to Quick.  Larry

PS:  For those who wonder, the little brass colored dot in the center of the ejector is the dished end of a grade 9 aricraft bolt which is what the ejector is made from.  :)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 01:51:45 PM »
Kewl!!! ;D

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 04:15:09 PM »
That is genius Larry!! ;D

Spanky

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 06:08:29 PM »
I think I probably found a little design flaw, probably fixed it but you never know.  I think the biggest problem will be stopping the false ejector when it hits the end of it't travel, I was thinking if it is stopped by just the roll pin and the thin piece under it, the roll pin will be sheared or bent or the end broke off the ejector.  A shotgun really snaps the ejector out, so the false one would like to eject right out of the rifle.  I drilled a cross hole and put a shank of a 1/16 drill bit through the thick part, then milled a slot for it to ride in and stop before the ejector end hits the roll pin.  This will either work or not, I can tell you I won't be doing another of these, there is really not enough room under the barrel for all this mechinsim.  I think this will work.  Larry

Offline Dean of Id

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Lathe projects
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 07:20:34 PM »
This is just pretty neat!  I do some machine work myself, so I'm enjoying watching your progress with this project.  It's looking good, Larry.

Dean
Dean W