Author Topic: extractor broke / new chamber lock  (Read 4385 times)

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
extractor broke / new chamber lock
« on: November 21, 2008, 06:27:05 AM »
just  had  my  new SS  45-70  30  minutes
tried   out  the  new [to me]  chamber  lock
the  extractor  snapped  off

just  got  of the  phone  with  H&R
they  said  ship  it  back  or  they  would  ship the  part  if  i  wanted  free
they  said it might be  here befor  thanks giving

any  one  else  have  this problem   or  did  i do some thing wrong  with  the  chamber plug?
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: extractor broke / new chamber lock
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 07:33:38 AM »
Have them send the new extractor, it's easy to replace, just remove the rear roll pin from the under lug, be sure to use a pin punch or nail with a flattened tip that is just small enough to fit the pin hole, or it can ruin the roll pin which can be reused if undamaged.  ;)

If you're gonna use the chamber lock, be sure the extractor clears it when you close the action, I tried mine and it just barely clears the lock.  :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline murphdog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 08:55:59 AM »
1+ on what Quick said. 
When H&R/Rem repaired my 44mag, they inexplicably returned the barrel to me without the extractor.  They said to send back and they would intall, or they could send extractor to me.  I chose the latter to save time.  I'm not very mechanical, and I was easily able to put it in, no problem.  If you don't remember how the original came out, you can find schematics on the internet, I think maybe from H&R's website.  That, and instructions in the FAQ's make installation very clear.  Be aware that different extractor and ejector mechanisms have been used over the years, and you may have to get the schematics specific to your particular rifle. 

Offline mtbugle

• Trade Count: (32)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 09:40:57 AM »
New chamber lock?  I must have misse this. Does anyone have a picture of this?  Thanks Don.

Offline Smallgroups

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 09:52:56 AM »
I was wondering about that too.  The key lock and rubberized metal pieces that came with my rifle couldn't be characterised as a chamber lock. 

S-S

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 10:29:45 AM »
H&R has been providing Omega chamber locks for a few chamberings, it's just a gizmo that expands in the chamber when tightened with what appears to be a torx like key to prevent a round from being chambered. They only make them in certain chamberings, I've received them with the 243 Ultra t-hole and SS 45-70.

Tim

http://www.omegagunlock.com/productline.htm

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 11:38:11 AM »
H&R has been providing Omega chamber locks for a few chamberings, it's just a gizmo that expands in the chamber when tightened with what appears to be a torx like key to prevent a round from being chambered. They only make them in certain chamberings, I've received them with the 243 Ultra t-hole and SS 45-70.

Tim

http://www.omegagunlock.com/productline.htm

Thanks Tim, This is the first I have heard of the chamber locks and I didn't know what they were. Sounds like a good way to break an extractor as 45-70.gov has already done.

Sorry for your misfortune 45-70.gov!

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 03:07:28 PM »
I'm thinking the best way to mke sure the chamber lock doen't break your extractor is to throw that peice of lawyer crap away as I have done with all the one I have gotten.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 03:52:00 AM »
When I ran a small gun store I had a bucket full of gun locks which came with new guns and the buyer just left the locks on the counter. I ran a newspaper add offering free locks to anyone who wanted them and I never got a single taker. Some years later I worked for the local police department and the National Shooting Sports Association came into town with a semi truck load of gun locks. Our PD took five cases of the free locks and I think they finally managed to give away a dozen or so, locks, not cases of locks. ;D
 I liked the old H&R locks, I never found any use for the metal plates but I'll never have to buy another pad lock.  I'll bet Tim could open a lock shop! ;D
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 05:15:31 AM »
Yeah, I have a bunch of em, the Marlin locks work great on anything that needs a lock padlock on it, have never used one on a gun tho!! :D

Tim

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 01:12:15 PM »
the  new  extractor  is  here  going  to  work  on  it  now

and  pick  a scope.....maybe  a millet  1X4   german style post with horizonal post  illuminated circle and  dot
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 02:19:11 PM »
piece of  cake
used  the inertia bullet puller for  a hammer   and  an  Allen wrench

the  30mm scope  didn't clear  the hammer extention  [couldn't go farther back for the adjusment parts]
i  turned  it  over and  it worked...but  real close

this scope  is  like a red dot  that   will  zoom  to 4x   and  still have  post  if  battery dies

Offline merkelerk

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 10:44:11 AM »
I have a lock on every one of my firearms, then another on the hard cases they are stored in, then the room they are stored in is locked.
Overkill? You bet, but I live in Canada where the authorities will do anything in their power and often outside of their power to confiscate legitimate firearms.
In addition to that, everyone of my firearms is registered with the feds (as per law) whose database has been hacked by thieves looking for shopping lists on many occasions.
They are now planning to ban all semi-autos in Canada, so I guess the mossburg plinkster youth model I bought for my daughter to shoot will no longer threaten the safety of Canadians (as the plinkster is a seriously evil looking assault rifle eh?).
If your not part of the solution, your part of the precipitate.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 11:20:07 AM »
merkelerk

I fear we may not be far behind.  So far I've never broken any serious laws, but there is always a first time for everything.

I don't lock my guns.  I lock my ammo when my grandkids come over.  If they want to look at a gun, I get it for them, and teach them while doing how to keep the muzzle in a safe direction, etc.  Someday they will own what I have most likely.  They might as well get familiar.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline merkelerk

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 09:34:27 AM »
Mechanic, I certainly respect that you teach your grandchildren about firearms.
I take my kids to the gun club quite often to do some shooting, they know safe handling and respect the very real power of firearms.
If your not part of the solution, your part of the precipitate.

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 10:01:42 AM »
I have heard about Canada's gun laws,I also heard many of the banned ones were lost somehow.
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 10:18:20 AM »
It's not only in Canada that people are losing guns (and the right to have them  >:(). Since the evil anti-Christ nobama has come into power I have lost a lot of my guns as well....<><.... :'(
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley