Poll

Are you happy with the service you have recieved from Ilion?

Yes
107 (62.9%)
No
63 (37.1%)

Total Members Voted: 170

Author Topic: Ilion Satisfaction Poll  (Read 24754 times)

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Ilion Satisfaction Poll
« on: September 04, 2008, 11:24:16 AM »
Lets give this a try.  Simple yes or no.  Please limit to those who have personally dealt w/ the new Ilion factory.

I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Ilion Satisfaction Poll
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 05:24:32 PM »
Actually, for no answers, I would like to see a one sentence explanantion...  Some people may be much pickier than I.

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 03:11:26 AM »
Lets do it for both.  Please give a one line answer as to why you are happy or unhappy w/ Ilion's service

Also lets try to use this thread as an actual review of Ilion and start a seperate thread if you would like to question or criticize a post.

Thanks - Sam
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline cajun

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 03:20:20 AM »
Terrible customer service and a "misplaced/lost" receiver.   :(

cajun

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 12:21:15 PM »
I think the whole problem with Remington in not repair work but more like better customer service relations
I think the company like  Remington would train people or hire people who have a better understanding in firearms I also think now that customer service is in N.C. and the repair plant in N.Y. it more like one hand has no idea what the other hand is doing as far as the repair time.I did get frustrated a few times when speaking with them it seems they just don't have any idea what happening except what the screen say on the P.C. with your work order number.
I caught a bad fitted barrel at the old plant hey I would not be a happy camper if they told me I will get the pink slip at the end of the week. I bet the old H@R would of had a new barrel fitted in 1/2 the time just to satisfied the poor workmanship with the first barrel
The old H@R seem to go that extra mile when speaking with customer service and did reply to e mail
I will say the new Remington did reply to my e mails in about a few working days
I am sure if the H@R line when under Remington will still move forward and they just may improve on additional barrel that will have better spec:so there will be no need to return the action for a new fitted barrel.I can see like I said before this underlug it cut by eye no way it was placed in a jig and cut to spec:
i already seen at gander the price increase on handi and the buffalo classic only time will tell and someone should have them read the form it will give them a better understanding in there vaults to improve the h@R line

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 12:55:56 PM »
Remington went out of their way to fix a problem that wasn't their fault at no cost to me.  Turn around time was less than 15 days including shipping time both ways.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 02:47:01 PM »
I would like to know why your repair took 15 days and others took 8 weeks
like mine and a few other members on the form
seem something doesn't sound right
would you have any details you like to add?
My repair was not my fault the new poor fitting barrel came from H@R let see the gap between the action and the barrel closed 20 thousands after 10 rounds

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 03:36:45 PM »
I called about a spare barrel not fitting my action.  It would close but not lock up.  The guy on the phone said send it in and they'd fix it.  I paid the shipping to NY.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 10:48:34 AM »
I got mine back in 12 weeks with a smashed front sight, the wrong recoil pad, and the bore of a muzzleloader that hadn't been cleaned after they test fired it two and a half weeks earlier. They're scrambling to try and fix it all but it ain't fixed yet...

Had that barrel been fitted by H&R originally Swampman?
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 10:50:34 AM »
No

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 01:01:12 PM »
H&R only fitted barrels they sold. And they charged a fitting fee per barrel of $15 for the ones they sold, when they sold them. Has Remington changed that? Buying a used barrel and getting them to fit it for only the cost of shipping would mean they made ZERO on the transaction.
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 01:27:43 PM »
Gardner would fit a second hand barrel if they could, that would only be if the second hand barrel had enough material to work with at the pivot and shelf, they charged a fitting fee for it if they could fit it, they didn't charge for it if they couldn't. But I only recollect one or two reports here of having it done, so it isn't common knowledge that they did it. Since Brian is one of the people that transferred to NY, I'm sure many of the old practices have been carried on, free(or cheap) trigger jobs being one of them

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 05:14:50 PM »
I called about a spare barrel not fitting my action.  It would close but not lock up.  The guy on the phone said send it in and they'd fix it.  I paid the shipping to NY.

Sounds to me that you took advantage of a company in transition, and slipped one by them? Care to explain?

My take from your words.

"I called about a spare barrel not fitting my action."

= They were under the impression that this was a barrel that they had fitted previously???

"It would close but not lock up."

=  Did not lock up on the action that it was previously fitted to???

"The guy on the phone said send it in and they'd fix it."

= They would FIX something that was their fault??? They did not say fit this barrel you purchased second hand that was never fitted to your action???

"I paid the shipping to NY."

= You took advantage of them, since they thought that it was their fault that the barrel did not fit, and they paid to ship your rifle back to you??? And worse than that, you let them and are bragging about it???

Remington went out of their way to fix a problem that wasn't their fault at no cost to me.  Turn around time was less than 15 days including shipping time both ways.

"Remington went out of their way to fix a problem that wasn't their fault at no cost to me."

= Your right, it wasn' their fault, and it wasn't a FIX, but it sounds to me that you made it look that way to take advantage of them??? Others here have legitimate problems that Remington did cause, and you are slipping a fast one by them and going to the front of the line by making them think that they were the reason your second hand barrel didn't fit your action???

"Turn around time was less than 15 days including shipping time both ways."

= Again, taking advantage of a situation while others have legitimate problems, you condemning them for it, while rubbing their noses in your dirty deal???

I got mine back in 12 weeks with a smashed front sight, the wrong recoil pad, and the bore of a muzzleloader that hadn't been cleaned after they test fired it two and a half weeks earlier. They're scrambling to try and fix it all but it ain't fixed yet...

Had that barrel been fitted by H&R originally Swampman?

No

H&R only fitted barrels they sold. And they charged a fitting fee per barrel of $15 for the ones they sold, when they sold them. Has Remington changed that? Buying a used barrel and getting them to fit it for only the cost of shipping would mean they made ZERO on the transaction.

Exactly Kevin, that is the reason for all the questions above. I know they would fit a second hand barrel to an action per Quicks response, but they charged you a fitting fee. I think they were led to believe that they had previously fitted this barrel and someone wanted to take advantage of the situation while the chaos of transferring records from one plant to another was there???

Swampman,

Did this transaction really take place, or are you just trying to blow smoke up somebodies keester??? If it did, you must be really proud of yourself for pulling one over on "The Best Company in the WORLD"??? You must have an invoice or repair ticket???

I've said enough, but I would like to hear the answers to YOUR WORDS before I get banned for calling you out?

Sorry in advance Quick, but I smell a Swamp Rat!
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 05:28:55 PM »
It happened as Swampman has explained, he contacted me before sending it in on Aug 14th and asked my advice on fitting it himself or having a smith do it. I mentioned that H&R had fitted used barrels if they could and he wasn't comfortable doing his own, so he called H&R, was told by CS to include a letter stating that it was the original barrel even tho he had told them up front on the phone that it wasn't. Their instructions, not his idea, kudos to them, they did good IMO, sounds a lot like the old Gardner CS to me.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cajun

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 03:51:59 AM »
Swampman:

Please let the rest of us know who you dealt with in Ilion.  It appears that you got fantastic results.  Now that the entire story of your situation has been told, I can certainly understand now why you would be pro Remington.    ;)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 04:49:27 AM »
I'm not sure who I talked to.  I didn't ask for a name.  I've been pro-Remington since I was 6 years old.  I bought a Remington 514 Boy's Rifle for $10.00, and I've loved them ever since.  I'll be 52 on Sunday.

Offline striker525

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 10:30:36 AM »
I will answer when I get mine back! ;)

and Happy Birthday Swampman!!!!

Offline jsoukup

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 06:00:33 PM »
No.

My rifle arrived at Gardner in June 18th. I haven't heard or received anything. I've been playing it cool and with-holding judgement, but dang near everybody else has gotten theirs in some form. Lonewolf and KevinSmith got theirs, and I'm waiting to hear from OBXPiligrim, ours arrived almost on the same day.

Tomorrow I'll have to call and find out what's going on.

I've got a Marlin 22mag rifle I bought myself last Christmas that has never ejected properly. I'm dreading sending it off.

Offline jsoukup

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 04:12:02 AM »
Apparently sometime between when I shipped my order and when they got to my rifle, they ran out of 357 barrels, so it was backordered till Aug 14. The guy was polite and said they had taken numerous orders from the Mississippi area because the law had changed about using 35 caliber weapons for hunting.

He said my gun was in the gallery for test firing, then it would receive a final inspection. Then they would truck it back to Gardner and ship it UPS from Gardner because of BATF regs.

It was filed under the wrong zip code and he had to do a search by serial number. He couldn't figure why it had taken so long either until he found the backorder.

So, I wonder who actually made this barrel. H&R/Marlin or Remington or somebody else.

He did try to cheer me up telling me that he had an H&R in 357 and it was an awesome little rifle, especially with 38 wadcutters.

Offline donia

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 04:39:08 AM »
Yes.  Got receiver back with new 444 barrel. Not too terribly dirty, couple of finger smudges, but no scratches or gouges in barrel. Fit is pretty tight right now, but expect it to limber up.  Even sent my extra hammer spur. Haven't tried my 270 barrel for fit, yet, so that will be the test for ultimate satisfaction of the entire process.
...now to scope it....

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 07:07:27 AM »
Sent 2 frames off to have 357 barrels fitted as well as 2 sets of plastic stocks, scope rails and hammer extensions on the 13th of June.  Called 7-15-08 and was told to give it 2 more weeks, called 8-5-08 and was told to give it a couple more weeks, called 8-18-08 and was told it's on the bench now and to give it 2 more weeks then called the last time 9-12-08 and was told it's in the galley should be out soon.  Since I sent it to Gardner before the cut off date, now it will have to go back to Gardner to be shipped back to me.  2 more weeks has added up to 3 months now and still waiting.  Can't say as I'm real pleased with this deal, however I don't really need the guns to go hunting like some of the guys here.  Have been involved with Customer/Client service business since getting out of the Army in 78, and would not treat people like that.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline murphdog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 10:28:30 AM »
Debated how to vote in this poll, as I can't really say I'm happy, but not completely unsatisfied either.  But I think a lot of other people would feel unhappy with the same service, so I voted "unsatisfied".  Sent 44mag in for poor accuracy (4" groups) immediatly after Ilion took over.  Turn-around time was 11 weeks, though part of delay was due to me ordering an accessory barrel after repair work had already been done.  On return, gun was poorly boxed so that wooden stock got dinged.  Also, replacement 44mag barrel lacked the ejector.  But Remington immediately sent me ejector and replacement stock when I called.  44mag replacement barrel and the new 223 Ultra accessory barrel both fit well and lock up tight.  44mag replacement is overbored (.431 groove dia), but it does have better accuracy (2.4" groups).  223 barrel not shooting well yet, but I'm still tinkering with it. 
Duane

Offline jimmybirdwell

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 04:05:35 PM »
 Im not at alll happy with what I have seen come from remmington Very shotty wokmanship and quality control that sucks........ Remington used to be one of the best rifles inthe world but when thy purcased N.E.F. and showed there real colors, Im not sure that they give a damb any more. You guys beter watch this transition real close, I know i will.
                                               Jimmy

Offline 1NEFsofar

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 02:19:03 AM »
I voted that "yes" I am satisfied with Ilion.  I sent for a barrel installation on August 1 knowing that was the time of the major shift of work form NEF to Remington.  I got my barrel back yesterday (7 weeks) and everything is great.  It locks up perfect, there are no other dings in the stock (except fo the ones that I put htere berfore I sent it!), and the scope rail was mounted on securily.  My only complaint and this is minor is tha the barrel was fouled from them shooting it.  But I take comformt in the fact that they did indeed shoot it andit worked.  The fact that they didn't clean it is minor.  Most barrels shoot better a littel dirty anyway.

Overall, I have been pleased.
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.  

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 02:22:21 AM »
Even new Handis are shipped with fouled barrels.

Offline Natty Bumppo

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 05:47:19 PM »
100% yes.  Took them 4 1/2 weeks from the time I mailed my receiver (Aug 22) to get back (Sept 24) a new barrel. 

Offline zooly

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 07:52:02 PM »
I too voted no.  I sent my Handy back to Maine (after checking with CS) on 6/27/08. I still don't have it back. I have run the gauntlet at CS 3 times now, & get nothing but the runaround.  I won't be  having any more barells fitted anytime soon!

Here is an update on my problems with Remington.  I got my rifle back 2 weeks after my last post.  The box had no filler & was really smashed up by the Goons at UPS.  when I opened the box the front sight was knocked off & & the scope base I had ordered & paid for was missing. Back to Rem CS.  Nice man apologized for the shaby packing and said they were working  on the box  problem.  He also promised to get me a new scope base sent within a week.  I wated 3 weeks & went back to CS.  Was then told the bases were "back ordered"  and  to check back  in 2 weeks if it hadn't arived.  I called back in 3 weeks,& left a voice mail for my CS rep. No return phone call no email & NO SCOPE BASE. no nothing! this all started on 6/27/08  today is 12/6/08 & I am not happy!

Any ideas on what to try next?  Anyone have contact info for the CEO of Remington Arms?

zooly

Offline jacksbark

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2008, 12:15:57 PM »
I sent two recievers to NEF just before the handover to Remington. That did result in the job being done at the 'new' location and therefore caused a delay of about 4 weeks. I forgive them - at least they didn't loose the items and the completed job (total of ten weeks) was well done, if a bit slow.

HOWEVER, I think it must be said that some of the problem comes from unrealistic expectations on the part of us, the gun owners ('us').

The fact is that the gun industry and gunsmithing in general tends to be a slow business. For example, I had a Handi 24" .223 Rem bull barrel rebored and rechambered to 8x57JRS a few years back, with the job done by what was reputed to be the best custom barrel-smith on the continent in Prescott, AZ (who shall remain nameless). After a whole 15 months and much bugging from me I did eventually get the rifle back, but in 8x57 (i.e. rimless - the standard 8mm Mauser). Upon further discourse and the rifle being sent back, a year later I did get it back with the rim cut for the 8x57JRS ... and it is indeed a fantastic shooter of under 3/4" at 100 yards on a good day.

Point is, I wasn't especially unhappy about this. Why? Because this is a HOBBY. Its supposed to be FUN. Its supposed to be RELAXING.

Some of you have your knickers on all together way too tight and you really NEED to loosen-up a bit.

Let's just keep in mind that it would have (and still may be), whether you like it or not, been just as easy for Remington to go ahead and have all that work shipped to China (and it may yet happen), so that we Amercians can again go to Wally World and again be able to buy a 'Handi Rifle' for under $100 in any caliber we want.

Let us by all means demand a quality product and service - but let us not create such a poisonous attitute with our highly refined criticism that we make doing business here alltogether impossible - at least as far as the 'extra barrel' progam is concerned.

The good people of NY and NC who are now handling this work don't need a bunch of highly sensitive demanding whiners coming at them - give them a chance to get themselves properly set up and if they're still a bit messed-up this time next year then by all means let them have it ... by not buying the product.

In the meantime, I have two more recievers going in for 500 S&W barrels.

BTW, the only real 'complaint' I do have so far is that I DO NOT AT ALL LIKE HE 'NEW' PACKAGING:- The old return package arrangement was essentially like that of a new rifle. Now, they have come up with a deal that involves a sheet of cardboard and some plastic straps ... no where near as good as the 'old' arrangement using a carton which you could make use of in the future. That's my only 'technical' issue.

Otherwise, to help them along, everyone run out today and buy another Handi, or at least go ahead and order more barrels ... let's keep Amercia working strong!

Offline GUMFLATS

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2008, 07:24:59 AM »
This could be the worst thing that has ever happen to our little guns.I could go on and on about my problems I have had with Ilion sent in two  guns will not do that again.

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2008, 07:57:27 AM »
Have received one of my frames back, no word on the other yet.  Box was just the one you get in the store when you buy a new one, no extra packing.  Box was smashed, hole poked in the bottom of it, hammer extension was loose inside and smashed on the open end.  Invoice contained extra charges for screws for sights and sight blade.  Charged for bolt and washer for the stock, no swivels on the stock, invoice says there is.  Charged for testing and proofing as well as barrel fitting and shipping and handling.  What I had ordered was 2 barrels, 3 scope rails with hammer extensions, 2 synthetic stocks and forends.  I included the fees listed for shipping per firearm and fitting fee when I sent the order, was $388.85, the invoice for the one I got back was over $228.00.  Can't wait to see the invoice for the other one when it gets here.  Next time I'm just gonna buy the whole damn gun new and won't have to wait 4 months.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?