Author Topic: Handi Ultra Compensator seized?  (Read 1739 times)

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
Handi Ultra Compensator seized?
« on: July 24, 2008, 05:40:05 AM »
I've had this .270 Handi Ultra Comp for about 10 years and in that time I've never removed the Compensator. It was not until I started reading about Handi rifles on GBO that I actually knew it could be removed (duh). There was no information on removal in the original literature that came with the rifle.The finish on the Ultra is such that the point of contact is hard to see.
Anyway, with recent threads about muzzle brakes/breaks I thought about taking the Compensator off and shoot it just to see how different it is. So far, my attempts to remove it have not been fruitful. So, any Ultra Comp owners have any tips for removing the Compensator?  Can I assume it's right hand threads?

Thanx,

Bill

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Handi Ultra Compensator seized?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 05:53:40 AM »
It's a standard RH thread, some are real tight, some come right off. I have a thread protector that I bought from one of the members here to protect the threads when I remove it a the range if someone is shooting too close to me.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 11:50:38 AM »
Thanks for the help Tim.

Finally got it broke loose. This one was a real bugger.
Had to add some heat and use improvised tools (spanner wrench & drill bit body) and a dead blow hammer. More than what I had hoped it would take... :o

FYI, just in case you didn't already know, the thread size on the Compensator is  9/16" - 32 TPI

Bill

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 11:57:10 AM »
I suspected it was something like that, got my thread protector from Darat100, I don't think he ever said what the thread count and size was, but it works!! ;D

Thanks, I'll add it to the FAQs.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain