Author Topic: Bore polishing  (Read 4592 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Bore polishing
« on: June 21, 2008, 05:21:32 PM »
Molly over at castboolits posted this re: bore polishing"

"I stumbled across another neat little trick that may interest the PP crowd. It's a take-off from something I wrote up for the CBA a while back, but here's the whole story:

Some time back I bought one of the unfired Yugo 8x57 Mausers because they were such bargains. But when I got the cosmoline off of it, the bore was pretty rough. Not rusted, not pitted, but it looked like it had been finished with sandpaper.

I didn't want to throw it away, and at the same time, I didn't want to pour coarse abrasives down a new barrel as was recomended for conventional firelapping. I decided to try something a bit less radical, and used JB Compound on a bore mop the coat the bore of the rifle. Then I fired a light jacketed bullet load, used the mop again, fired another light load, etc. When I was done, the bore looked like a mirror, and without any noticable enlargement. I wrote it up, and several people have tried it with excellent results.

A recent discussion of various grades of paper for PPing and various PP lubes brought the experience back to mind, because I wondered if anyone appreciated the fact that TiO2 - added to make paper whiter - is also a very, very fine abrasive. You can get the idea if you just walk over to the wall of your room and rub it with a nickle. It'll generally look like you wrote on it with a pencil, becaue of the metal polished off by the TiO2 (& other pigments). I'm a retired paint chemist, and I knew about this, but just didn't make the connection before.

Anyhow, my first thought was to wonder if anyone had noticed any polishing effect from ordinary PP lead bullets. Then I put two and two together, and wondered what would happen if I 'lubricated' PP cast bullets with JB compound! Just finger rub it into the PP after wrapping, drying and sizing. Works great, and without all the trouble of the bore mop approach.

I wasn't trying to develop a more accurate load, and didn't test for accuracy (I shold have, but didn't.) I was trying to test another approach for polishing bores, and I got that in spades. FYI, I used a moderate load with wheelweight alloy in a 30-06. Nothing fancy, but it worked fast, easily and well.

So if you've got a rifle (or pistol for that matter) that's prone to fouling or leading, you might want to give this a try. If you happen to have a bore that has been rusted, it MAY be possible to salvage it like this, using an appropriate grade of very fine abrasive polish. I'd recommend that you steer well clear of the coarser abrasives often recomended for fire lapping. For some reason, the very fine abrasives like JB compound seem quite effective here, and polished the bore of the Yugo M48 in about 5 or 6 shots. I see no advantage to coarser abrasives, and I can see numerous potential problems they could cause.

Of course, the usual caveats apply: These results were obtained using components, equipment and techniques that will differ from yours, so approach this experimental procedure with great caution if you decide to evaluate it yourself. NEVER use experimental procedures of this nature - or any nature - with maximum loads unless you work up very gradually because the interactive effects could produce dangerous pressure levels. Since you are the only person controling most of the variables involved, you will have to accept full responsibility for the results of your judgement and practices.

Regards,
Molly"
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Bore polishing
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 05:59:09 PM »
Thanks Joe, that's a great additon to the FAQs!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 01:07:56 AM »
Tim, I got a smokepole that has a rough spot in it, think JB on a patch would work as well? ???  Gonna have to try it, this could be one of those,"I coulda had a V-8 moments. :D  DP.
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 04:11:23 AM »
Depends if it's pitted or not, but valve grinding compound works on PRB to lap a bore, JB would work too, would just take longer.  ;) Nothing will remove the pits without removing the bore/rifling itself, just the associated rust.

Tim

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 04:51:22 AM »
It's just a tight spot.  I'll try the valve compound first, I think.  You da man, Tim!  Thanks! ;)  DP.
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 05:25:47 AM »
The best way to eliminate the tight spot in a big bore is with a lead slug poured in the bore on the end of a steel rod, then lap by hand.  ;) The steel wool might work too if it's not too bad.

Tim

http://members.aol.com/illinewek/faqs/lapping.htm

Offline marko

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 08:56:11 AM »
JB compound isn't available locally here. Are there other bore cleaning compounds that will work? I know that Remington 40x is available here.

Offline mtbugle

• Trade Count: (32)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 09:36:25 AM »
Having read that some roll the bullits in the compound to stick to bullet then load and fire.  would the JB on a hard flat surface then bullets rolled hard on it to impregnate with compound.  Then load in mild load and fire polish.  Is is the concenses here that this would not enlarge the bore but polish nicely?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 09:48:49 AM »
JB compound isn't available locally here. Are there other bore cleaning compounds that will work? I know that Remington 40x is available here.

There are several fine metal polishes that work well too, FLitz, MAAS, Simichrome to name a few, those 3 are sold in a lot of supermarket household cleaning depts.

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 09:50:26 AM »
Having read that some roll the bullits in the compound to stick to bullet then load and fire.  would the JB on a hard flat surface then bullets rolled hard on it to impregnate with compound.  Then load in mild load and fire polish.  Is is the concenses here that this would not enlarge the bore but polish nicely?

JB is pretty mild stuff, should work fine with limited use.

Tim

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 11:24:18 AM »
Wonder about mixing some of the finer compounds in with bullet lube on cast bullets?  Seems this would make the application of the abrasive quite uniform.

Any thoughts?

Mike
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 11:39:23 AM »
Mix a little Flitz or JB in with liquid Allox maybe??   Coat the bullets in Flitz and let it dry??  ;D

Tim

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 12:31:16 PM »
Bunch of as cast slugs with Alox would sure be easier than making up paper patched bullets.  Alox is a good idea Tim.  Soon as I get healed up and can shoot a big bore again I'll give it a try on my BC.

Wonder if a person could do the same with a 22 Mag?  Just dip the bullet in the mix and let it dry.   :)  Hmmm.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70

Offline Fishboy11

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 11:42:25 AM »
Wonder if some case polish from my brass tumbler would work on a new/ rough barrel?
Put some on a patch and work it through?

Offline Fishboy11

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 01:20:51 PM »
Update.

Polished the tube up nicely.  There was some gunk in there plus some roughness.
Worked a patch 8-10 times then ran clean patches.
Followed up with some break free, then more clean patches.

Untwisted a q-tip until I had a big afro on the end of the stick.  Slipped it into the breech and it slid 1/2 way down the barrel.
Uh-oh.. thought I had a rough spot.  Blew gently into the breech and the q-tip shot out the other end.

Careful examination showed no fibers left in the rifling.   Looks like I got it smooth!

Cant wait to get out and shoot it.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 01:25:12 PM »
Other bore polishing methods are listed in the FAQs, a mop or patched jag with Flitz, JB, or any fine metal polish works fine. ;)

Tim