Author Topic: Remington Consolidation Plan  (Read 17243 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Remington Consolidation Plan
« on: April 07, 2008, 05:59:06 AM »
Uh oh!! :'(

http://www.remington.com/library/press/2008/Corporate/2008-5.asp

Remington Announces Manufacturing Consolidation Plan

MADISON, N.C., April 7, 2008 – Remington Arms Company, Inc. ("Remington"), the United States’ largest firearms manufacturer, today announced a strategic manufacturing consolidation move that will result in the closure of its Gardner, Massachusetts plant (“Gardner”). This integration will be seamless and will not affect our customers or our product offerings.

“While it was a difficult decision to close Gardner, we believe that this consolidation will enhance our ability to more efficiently provide quality products at competitive prices in an increasingly demanding global marketplace.” said Tommy Millner, Remington’s Chief Executive Officer. “We are always looking for ways to strengthen and optimize our business in order to stay competitive, while also creating additional opportunities for our employees and better products for customers. Our number one goal is to provide our customers and end-users with the best, most innovative products at a competitive price. Consolidation of manufacturing capabilities and migration to common operating systems are expected to create efficiencies that will achieve this goal.”

Throughout the remainder of 2008, the integration of Gardner’s operations is expected to result in centralized sales and marketing, streamlined operations, standardized information technology infrastructure, and common financial functionality while vigorously maintaining and promoting individual brand identity and products.

Unfortunately, an estimated 200 Gardner employees will be impacted by the closure, which is expected to be completed by the end of 2008. A number of employees will transition from Gardner to other capacities within the Company. For those not transferred, the Company will be offering severance, outplacement, and referral services in order to assist in this difficult transition.

About Remington Arms Company, Inc.
Remington Arms Company, Inc., headquartered in Madison, North Carolina, designs, produces and sells sporting goods products for the hunting and shooting sports markets under a family of famous brands including Remington, Marlin, H&R 1871, LLC, New England Firearms, LC Smith and Parker as well as solutions to the military, government and law enforcement markets. Founded in 1816 in upstate New York, the Company is one of the nation’s oldest continuously operating manufacturers and is the only U.S. manufacturer of both firearms and ammunition products. With its products distributed throughout the U.S. and in over 55 foreign countries, Remington remains the largest domestic producer of shotguns and rifles. More information about the Company can be found at www.remington.com.

Forward-Looking Statements
Forward-Looking Statements: This press release includes "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of federal securities laws and they are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements give the Company's current expectations or forecasts of future events. These forward looking statements include expectations regarding (i) the closure of the Gardner, Massachusetts facility, (ii) the anticipated benefits of the closure and (iii) the timing of the closure. The Company cautions that these statements are qualified by important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those reflected by such forward-looking statements. Such factors include the demand for the Company's products, the Company's growth opportunities, and other risks detailed from time to time in the Company’s reports filed with the SEC, including its Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2007.

The Company assumes no obligation to update publicly such forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.

Media Contacts

For Remington Arms Company:
Al Russo: (336) 548-8572

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Remington Consolidation Plan
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 06:56:33 AM »
OH NO!! say it isn't so!!!!

I just called Al Russo to see if I could get a little more info on this and to voice my concerns and displeasure on this. He was not at his desk but I left a polite message and asked he call me at his convenience, we will see. He moist likely has nothing to do with the decision but it's a start....<>,....:(
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 07:03:49 AM »
What were they making at the Gardner plant?  Did they move the tooling to other plants? 

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 07:07:56 AM »
I just got a call from Al Russo from Remington, he advised me the company name and line will be kept intact. That under Remington they desire to improve on the line...I expressed my feelings on the great people in CS but he could not offer anything other than they at Remington know there are some good people at Gardner....Andy....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 07:10:33 AM »
What were they making at the Gardner plant?  Did they move the tooling to other plants? 

All H&R/NEF products are made there with the exception of the pump and auto shotguns.

Tim

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 07:13:55 AM »
Holy Cow!!!!

I just got off the phone with CS to check on their inventory of barrels.   :o

Its good to hear the NEF's will still be made, but for how long?

I wish the employee's the best of luck.  They have been great to work with and always helpful.  :'(

Joe

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 07:54:02 AM »
I think any new products for 2008 are probably now on hold. It would be difficult to bring new products on line and move production at the same time, not impossible just difficult. I think I'll bite the bullet and order a Tracker II and not wait for the Ultragon barrel, it may never be produced. You really have to feel bad for the workers who have poured their whole lives into the company. JamesIII

Offline Smoke Wagon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 08:51:19 AM »
Well that didn't take long >:( I have only spoke with the people at Gardner a few times, but they are always extremely helpful and a pleasure to deal with. I hope that Remington is telling us the truth about keeping the product line. I'm new to the Handi, but immediately fell in love with it. Better order your new barrels and guns soon. >:(
" Blessed are the Peacemakers for they will be called the Children of God" Mathew 5:9

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 09:15:52 AM »
 :-[ ??? :(

This doesn't look good.

Offline WILD_WEASEL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 10:25:19 AM »
How is all this going to affect the Barrel Upgrade Program?  I've handled the guns coming in from Russia and can not say I like them.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 10:32:29 AM »
That remains to be seen,  I'd bet H&R employees have no idea either, anything beyond what's in the press release is just speculation. Since they plan on having the move all done by the end of the year, and now thru August is the barrel program's slow time, they might move it right away, then again, it may be the last to move, who knows. When I learn more from Marlin/H&R, I'll post it, you can count on it. ;)

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/News/pressreleases.aspx#plan

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 10:33:14 AM »
the products will never be the same
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 10:35:44 AM »

That's true, they may be better!! ;)

Tim

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 11:10:18 AM »
I'm sure there are more than just a few among the group, besides myself, here, that have gone through similar circumstances as the folks at H&R/NEF are experiencing right now. The "consolidations, aquisitions, downsizing, manditory transfers" whatever they may choose to call them, are still a time for some hard choices to be made for many of them.
Those of you out there that have been in their shoes, know the kinds of choices I speak of.

Good luck and best wishes to all the good folks in Gardner.

Bill

Offline ben.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 11:21:08 AM »
         Since 2000 I have dealth with H&R probably half a dozen times. Always very satisfactory.
         A week ago today. Last monday AM. I ordered two plain monte carlo stocks. I called Wed. for UPS tracking #. They couldn't find my order and would call me back. They called back and said it was shipped that day Wed.  Call back in a few days for a tracking #. I called back first thing this morning
Monday and they couldn't find my order again. Said they would call back. Told them I would only be home for two hours. Didn't hear from them. I Called an hour ago Mon. PM. Told to hang on while they looked for the order, Came back and said it was shipped today. I'll say one thing the female employee was not very cheerful. I don't think things are very happy at H&R or efficent. With closing down the plant I can understand why. Very sad indeed.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 11:22:45 AM »
Good luck and best wishes to all the good folks in Gardner.

I'll second that.

How long have they been making these guns in that plant?

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 11:43:57 AM »
I am sorry to see this happen.  I know things could be better in CS but I enjoyed talking with the ladies.  there were times that they were rushed and busy, and they may not know where my stuff was located.  But they always were polite and tried to help the best they could.  I will miss them. 

There were a couple of things back-ordered on my last order, I had better follow up with them as to the status.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 11:47:51 AM »

That's true, they may be better!! ;)

Tim
Well Tim. That is certainly an optimistic way to look at it. I feel for the good people there and hope they can find work quickly. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 11:48:10 AM »

How long have they been making these guns in that plant?

From Wiki's time line, it would appear that H&R has been there at least since the late '80s to early '90s, but it's interesting that Wiki claims the warranty cards were sent to "Industrial Rowe" in the '60s, and that's still their current address!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H_&_R_Firearms

In the 1960s it was owned by the Rowe family, and warranty cards were sent to 'Industrial Rowe'.[citation needed] The old H&R company went out of business in 1986, and the building, which was located at the corner of Park Avenue and Chandler Street in Worcester, Massachusetts, was demolished

http://www.hr1871.com/About/ContactUs.aspx

H&R 1871, LLC
60 Industrial Rowe
Gardner, MA 01440

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/repairs.aspx

H&R 1871, LLC
ATTN: Service Dept.
60 Industrial Rowe
Gardner, MA 01440

Tim

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 11:57:54 AM »
This may be just what we need to get a SB3 magnum chambered Encore eater.

I just hope they don't "streamline" us down to 4 cartrides and any stock that is black plastic.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 01:37:12 PM »
I wonder if production is being moved to Russia or China? Since they are already hooked up with Russia I'm expecting those to replace the NEF guns likely under the NEF or H&R name but then I'd not rule out China just yet.

I am grossly dissappointed with Remington my favorite brand of long guns.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2008, 02:22:06 PM »
new ones will probably me remarked rossi's
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008, 02:47:18 PM »
I hope all turns out well.

Boy am I thankful that when I called last MONDAY about getting some barrels the lady told me the 30-30s would not be back in stock until JUNE/JULY and two of the other ones were no longer produced or else I might have a frame heading to nowhere.

This is truly a shame.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 02:51:03 PM »
I wouldn't be concerned about sending one in and not getting it back, it just may take a while depending on when they implement the move.

Tim

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2008, 03:34:40 PM »
"I am grossly disappointed with Remington my favorite brand of long guns."

Ditto!
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
Well I thought something wasn't right when Remington Bought Marlin and it looks like this is coming true. I will have to reconsider buying any Remington now.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2008, 04:04:47 PM »
Tomorrow or the day after a frame goes in for a .44 Mag barrel and a BUNCH of parts. I don't mind waiting but I hope they get the order correct. There may not be another chance to get any errors corrected before the "change"....<><....:)

Offline airedaleman

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2008, 04:10:38 PM »
I was H&R's ad manager for nearly two years in '78 and '79. The Gardner plant was built in the mid-60's specifically to produce H&R's line of sporting firearms, the Worcester plant being given over to the production of M-14's and later the M-16. When the M-16 contract ended, the Worcester plant stood empty for years. (I believe Springfield Armory got its start with surplus M-14 machinery and tooling from the Worcester plant.) The Rowes were involved with H&R from before the Second World War - except for a time in the '60's when the company was owned by Walter Kidde -right until the mid-80's bankruptcy. It seems a shame that the Gardner plant will close after all the effort that was expended in resuscitating it. Gardner is a town that can ill-afford losing 230 jobs...

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2008, 04:50:18 PM »
I really hate to hear this about H&R. I've been through two plant closings and know how it is, it's a very sad and scary time for all the employees. I feel for them.

I wish the best for all of the folks at H&R 1871, INC.

Slufoot

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2008, 05:58:46 PM »
As torpedoman said they will end up being made from some foreign port of call. >:(