Author Topic: Gas Checking PB Cast Bullets  (Read 5631 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Gas Checking PB Cast Bullets
« on: February 23, 2008, 03:21:49 PM »
Bernie (dodd3) presented the idea of using the Lee deburring/chamfering tool to create a bevel base on plain base bullets to install gas checks,  here's a way to expedite the process since the Lee tool is hand operated which makes the chore very tedious. Grind the end of the tool flat and back just far enough that the resulting hole is big enough to insert a flat head 6-32 machine screw, then secure it in place with a lock washer and nut. Chuck it in a drill, put a leather glove on to hold the bullet securely, push the bullet into the tool base first while the drill is running slowly and cut a bevel sufficient to accept  and press a gas check on in a Lubrisizer, doesn't take much, 5-10 seconds will do it.

Tim

The bullets to the right of the tool are .460" and .379" plain based bullets, those just to the left of the tool are the same bullets with a bevel cut, and the far left bullet has been fitted with a .45 gas check, don't have any .375" gas checks yet, they're on the way with the 312gr .379"  Postell PB bullets for the 38-55.  ;D

Modified chamfer tool w/8-32 machine screw and nylok nut instead of lockwasher
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Gas Checking PB Cast Bullets
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
Tim

I like the idea , going to have to try it on some .458s for my 45/70s to add a little more speed , if i try pushing the plain base bullets too fast i get tons of leading .  ::)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 03:38:08 PM »
I know, been there done it!! :-\  I want to shoot some higher BC bullets in the 38-55, 300yds is the longest range I have available to shoot, just about perfect for it, but I don't want to shoot Goex, so gas checks are the answer, but no one makes em, but Buffalo Arms does make a 312gr Postell PB that should work great at 1500-1600fps or so. I also have a bunch of PB .458"-.460" bullets, some I bought, some I got in a garage sale, add a box of gas checks, and I can shoot em up!! I'll have to try a 535gr Postell in the 45-120 and see what kind of velocity and trajectory I can get without leading.  ;D

Tim

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 03:51:03 PM »
So far i have been able to push 1500 FPS loads without much build-up but i want to hit the 2000 FPS level with some and that means a GC no question .  :o

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline silver surfer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 04:44:03 PM »
Cool idea :), and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg; all the better ;D.
  BTW How hot can a 38-55 be stoked up to?  My youngest still wants a "Buffalo Rifle", and the 45 carbine was to "small" to be a REAL Buffalo Gun :-\.  He's leaning towards a 45-70 ultra, by description, I'm not against trying one of these and see how he likes it.
  Feedback would be appreciated.
"Blamin a gun for shootin people is like blamin your pencil for misspellin a word!"
  Larry the Cable Guy

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 05:16:17 PM »
I don't really know what to expect with the 38-55, the Lyman 48th lists  <1600fps loads with PB cast bullets, but pressure is less than 25kcup, dunno what I can do going above that in 38-55 brass, may have to use .375 brass for exceeding those pressures. I compared the 2.125" 38-55 Starline brass to .375 Winchester brass which is considerably shorter, but weighs 152gr compared to 135gr for the Starline, so it's definitely much stronger brass.

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 11:21:37 AM »
While looking for 38-55 cast bullet data, I found yet another way to gas check PB bullets.

Tim

http://castpics.net/memberarticles/Gas%20Checked%20PB%20Bullets.htm

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 03:00:32 PM »
While looking for 38-55 cast bullet data, I found yet another way to gas check PB bullets.

Tim

http://castpics.net/memberarticles/Gas%20Checked%20PB%20Bullets.htm

Tim that's is a good idea but you could go one step more and use the gas check with a hole in the middle half up the bullet as well so you have two copper driving bands you could drive
them at nearly the same velocity as a jacketed bullet with a good lube.see pics no hole in gas checks but it gives an idea.ps i like the your idea with the lee tool.
Bernie :)

if its feral its in peril

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 03:13:43 PM »
That's another great idea, but only for those casting, I quit casting years ago, just buy em already cast, let someone else do the dirty work!! ;D

thx,

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 10:38:30 PM »
I modified the chamfer tool to make it easier to do shorter bullets, an 8-32 machine screw head will allow .375" and bigger bullets to be chamfered before the screw head interferes, but I think a 6-32 would work for .30 cal bullets.

Tim

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 03:35:08 AM »
quick'

could the swaged lead bullets that hornady produces have a gascheck crimped onto them more readily.... because of the knurling?   it's an inviting idea to crimp a gascheck onto something like those, in my opinion.

ss' 

Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 04:02:24 AM »
I dunno if it'd be any easier, it's pretty easy to do a regular cast bullet, I've done some of the Montana Precision swaged too, piece of cake!! ;D

Tim

Offline wgr

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 04:18:17 AM »
i just fire form some 30-30 brass  for my 38-55 like we talked about tim. loaded them with 250 grain cast bullets on top of 33 grains of 3031. will see if i get any leading when i shoot them tomorrow will post the results.say tim will 375  gas checks work on my cast bullets as cast they are droping at .380
never to much gun

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 04:26:53 AM »
I don't have any .375" gas checks yet, but I hope they're on the big side like .45 cal checks are at .462", if they are, they should work great!! ;) I should have some lymans tomorrow of the next day.

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 11:44:17 AM »
Got em, the Lyman gas checks are .385" in diameter, so yes, they'll work fine on a .380" bullet.  ;)

Tim

Offline wgr

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 03:22:45 PM »
thinks for the info on the gas checks Tim.now ill have to find a .380 sizer might have to get one made from lee dont know were else to get one. are do you think a .379 would work bill
never to much gun

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 03:56:21 PM »
You could open a .379" sizer with little effort if it doesn't work as is, I'm thinkin on opening a .363" sizer to .3735" to nose size some bullets to make my own bore riders. ;D

Tim

Offline Handi-Fan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 08:17:46 AM »
 I ran this by Tim, It's a pencil sharpener I purchased at wally world to chamfer cast bullets for gas checks. I've been able to do bullets as large as .430 diameter with it. If the bullet your using is to short to hold by hand I flare a case mouth a little so I can insert bullet into the case nose first and hold the case to insert into trimmer,i.e. 357 case for .357 or .358 bullets etc. Works great one twist and your done. Even has a container on it to catch lead shavings. Cost a buck in school supplies.. ;D

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 01:06:45 PM »
Tim,

This was my solution to adding checks where there was none.  Of course I cast so it was a good way to go for me.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=68205

Cat

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 02:04:09 PM »
Pretty neat tricks!!  Maybe should put them in the sticky note for casting tips.
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams