Poll

Are you interested in metal TG and spacers at a cost of $70-$100?

Yes
No

Author Topic: POLL: Metal Trigger Guard and Spacer  (Read 35805 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
POLL: Metal Trigger Guard and Spacer
« on: February 14, 2008, 08:20:21 AM »
Graybeard talked to Gary Turner, president of forum sponsor Talley Rings, yesterday about providing more products for H&R rifles, specifically metal trigger guards and spacers, as well as ringmounts of different heights. I need to get an idea of how many are interested in high quality metal TGs and spacers, I have no idea of the cost, but know H&R sold theirs for $70 for the pair, so I'm making a WAG that they'll be at least than much, so I'm going to base this survey on that price level for now until I get more info from Gary, he's out of town right now, when he gets back I'll have a better idea of how much demand there is for how many. I know many wanted more than one in the previous threads on this topic, since there is genuine interest in producing these for us, I'd like to have some real world numbers for him. This survey will run one week, please post how many you'd be interested in, and if you have a preference for finish/metal type. ;) Also, please post what you'd be willing to pay if $70 or more is too much.

thx,

Tim

http://www.talleyrings.com/

PLease don't reference Moyer's Gun Parts, his parts and customer service leave a LOT to be desired!
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: POLL: Metal Trigger Guard and Spacer
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 08:42:43 AM »
Gary indicated to me that if we could assure him that at least 30-40 or better still more can be sold if they make them then he feels pretty sure they can make them to sell to you guys. He asked me about aluminum thinking weight might be an issue. I told him many of you had bought them make of steel and brass.

I think that some indication of what metal or metals of those three would be preferred would be helpful to him as well. I'm not sure if what metal matters to Talley or doesn't. I suspect tho they are gonna want to make the run in those quantities he mentioned to me as a minimum and more would naturally lower cost of production and thus price. If they have to make them of two or three different metals to satisfy demand they might but I suspect that each metal would still need a minimum of about that same number. I'm not sure of that and Tim will be working with Gary to work out such details.

But Tim needs input from you guys who want them on what metal or metals you are interested in or if you just want metal of some kind as opposed to plastic. Gary and I did not discuss price so I can't offer any insight on that beyond what Tim has already said.

If there are other things they can make that there is a demand for they seem willing to work with you on them as well it just has to be something they are set up to do with current equipment.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 08:51:49 AM »
I am thinking blued steel, if blued are not an option, then maybe baked on black paint. Black anodized aluminum would be my next choice and then finally brass. If the cost is not too high, I would be interested in getting extra fore end pieces. I would get at lease one set, maybe more, depending on price again. We are going to get these Handi's real refined ;D
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 09:26:33 AM »
I could use two sets,at around $45 to$50.00 would be nice.   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline Hammerspur

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 09:43:49 AM »
I'm for blued steel myself, at that price I may only buy a couple to start :P ... maybe more later.

Now if they could be had for around, say, $40/set...  ::)

(Bet they'd go fast!)
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!

Offline silver surfer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 10:05:27 AM »
Brass Hardware for the BC, and Black Anodized for the .270. A full set for each in fore mentioned colors would be sweet   :).
"Blamin a gun for shootin people is like blamin your pencil for misspellin a word!"
  Larry the Cable Guy

Offline AlaninNM

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 10:37:33 AM »
Brass Hardware for the BC, and Black Anodized for the ..........

Same here, I'd buy at least one, the cheaper the more I'll buy

Al

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 11:18:29 AM »
My 200 dollar rifle is becoming a 300 dollar rifle. I could see spending 20-30 bucks for a set. Anymore than that not so much. I guess the plastic doesnt bother me all that much.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 11:22:58 AM »
Please add what you'd be willing to pay if $70> is too much, those that have already posted can edit and add your top dollar amount.

Tim

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 12:25:27 PM »
someone mentioned $40 a set, That is a nice figure, I could use a set in blued steel and a set in brass to start. I am not interested in sets or pieces in aluminum at all, blued, blackened or any other color....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 01:59:25 PM »
I'd be happy with just plain steel in the white if bluing would be an issue.  Anodized black aluminum and brass tying for second choice.   
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 02:04:58 PM »
Would defiantly like metal spacers and guards , the plastic leaves a lot to be desired , brass would be sweet as well as mil finish alu. that could be colored .  :o

As for price that would depend on type , $70 for brass and $50 for steel and alu. could be doable .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 02:12:38 PM »
Tim,

I would go for blue steel first, then plain steel and I blue it second. I would go $40 for the steel ones. I think I would rather have steel on my BC too as it gets to go to shoots sometimes. Steel is also the first choice for my field gun that gets tossed around sometimes.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 02:23:51 PM »
When I do buy another Handi ( Witch I will do someday again ) steel or brass trigger guard and spacer would be a great thing to ad to it. I think $70 to $100 is way out of line for what I would be willing to pay for these items. I think $40.00 for steel and $50.00 for brass would be more in line. Beyond that I think I would have to pass on them. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 02:57:20 PM »
Brass would me my first choice, then aluminum, depending on cost of course ..
i would be interested if they were available
glenn

Offline rbergum95

• Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 03:29:10 PM »
i wouldnt  mind seeing a set in either stainless or nickel, brass i think would be a must.

Offline grumpyErik

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 03:45:38 PM »
I'd take a brass set, it would look great on a 45/70. I'd give $70 for a set but not a penny more.
Click once, cuss repeatedly.

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 03:56:57 PM »
brass for the fore end spacer. no interest in the trigger guard. $30.
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline Dave Weiss

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 04:07:57 PM »
I got one of the last factory steel trigger guards and would like a blued steel spacer. I'd pay any reasonable price.

>>>===> Dave
Hunt hard, shoot fast and trust your dog.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 04:35:17 PM »
Blued or stainless would be my choice as well as brass. Aluminum just doesn't seem right to me for some reason. I'd shell out $70.00 for a set. $40.00 I'd take 2 sets right away. I bet they'd get rid of that 1st hundred pretty quick.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline goldhound56

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 04:43:25 PM »
I would like to get TG & Spacer in brass !! It would be nice to get the TG for $25 - 30 and the Spacer for about $15 - 20 . But I'll  get one set forsure  .

thanks Kenny

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 04:53:29 PM »
At that price, one set for me, blued steel.
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 05:38:54 PM »
I voted no at those prices. $40 to $50 for the set, and I may bite. Blued steel, brushed aluminum, then brass last.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline DSMcG

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 05:50:30 PM »
I would be interested in two sets at least. Steel would be the choice. Price should be reasonable.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 07:08:10 PM »
I voted yes steel or brass but much more than $40-$50 probly not interested . Kurt
Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (81)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2008, 03:11:09 AM »
I would be interested in steel and brass only, no aluminum, and I would at least buy 2 sets at $40/$50 a set. If they would offer a rough set that needs a polish and finish at a good price and then offer a fully finished set at a higher price, that would be good. Hunman55

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2008, 04:49:32 AM »
My Ruger Blackhawk wore aluminum and always proved reliable.  I would go for black aluminum, steel second.  $70 seems a bit steep, the $40 ($25 for the TG, $15 for the spacer) seems reasonable. 

I think aluminum would be easier to machine which might hold down the cost.  I feel the advantage of aluminum is that there is less hassle with maintaining it to prevent rust, especially where the spacer joins the wood of the fore end.

-Winter Hawk-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2008, 05:14:18 AM »
I would buy 2 or 3 sets if they were in the neighborhood of $50.     If they really want to get creative, I would love to see a LARGE trigger guard for NEF shotguns.  Its hard to fit glove fingers in the guard of my 12ga topper when I go jump shooting for waterfowl.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2008, 05:37:09 AM »
I have already voted and voiced my opinion on the metal types. I am truly amazed at what you think these parts can be made for. I can not believe that either the fore end spacer or the trigger guard could possibly be made for less than $25 each. That would be in the white. They need to be machined and polished no matter if it is steel or brass or aluminum. Bluing/anodizing would be extra on top of that. Would I like to get them at $10 each...you bet, I would buy lots of them at that price. I am not putting anyone down here, just trying to be realistic, I really would like to get them at <$70 a set, all considered, I do not think $70/set would be out of line.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2008, 06:12:49 AM »
I have to agree 100% with LaOtto, H&R parts have always been very reasonably priced, the blued steel TG and spacer they used to sell was just a tad over $70 for the pair, and they sold all they had if that tells ya anything. ;) The trigger guard isn't just a guard for the trigger, it holds the trigger in alignment with the hammer and also is the mounting fixture for the latch spring, it does a lot more than just "guard" the trigger. ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums//index.php/topic,52341.msg308025.html