Author Topic: Receiver Question  (Read 4379 times)

Offline wtxbadger

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
Receiver Question
« on: January 23, 2008, 03:09:23 PM »
I know this has been discussed in the past, but my searches have not found a consensus so far. I have a 30-30 barrel and out of curiosity tried mounting it on a SB1 receiver the other night. It seems to fit just fine and locked up good.
As you can guess, I wondered if it would be safe to use the 30-30 on the SB1 receiver? I appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks

wtxbadger
wtxbadger

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Receiver Question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 03:17:59 PM »
Not a good idea for the same reason H&R won't fit a 30-30 barrel to an SB1 frame, the SB1 frame isn't made for the pressure and they consider it unsafe to use it as such, and as an unsafe practice, it can't be discussed here by GBO rules.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline wtxbadger

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 03:27:45 PM »
Not a problem. Was just curious and was certainly not looking to violate any rules or regs with my question on this.

wtxbadger
wtxbadger

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 03:36:04 PM »
If you read the experience of Dieselbuilder in the FAQs, you'll likely think twice about the possible ways it can fail and still not have a catastrophic destruction of the frame, but still do harm, possibly cause death. :-\ As little as an SB2 frame costs, it's just not worth it. ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,121724.msg1098413838.html#msg1098413838

Offline wtxbadger

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 03:51:01 PM »
Thanks for the advice and the thread to read over. I was just wondering about this and figured I would get an answer to my question.
It would appear I have stepped in something I should not have and will now resume my usual lurking and reading posts without further comment.

wtxbadger
wtxbadger

Offline AZHoosier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • An unloaded gun is just a CLUB!!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 05:31:27 AM »
It would appear I have stepped in something I should not have and will now resume my usual lurking and reading posts without further comment.

WTxBadger,
I don't think you stepped into anything.  No need to hide and lurk. However, you do learn things that way. But, always remember, you won't get a proper answer to your question if you don't ask. I bet the rest of the folks on the site will agree with me on that.

I learned a lot with the hide and lurk but learned even more when I asked the question.
Bill
I shoot first, and don't ask questions.

Offline wtxbadger

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 05:31:58 PM »
Bill,

Thanks for your response to my post. Based on Tim's reply to my inquiry on my post, it seemed obvious to me that I would not receive a response that truly answered my question. It is a shame in today's society that an open discussion on such things cannot take place because of the potential legal ramifications if something were to go wrong.

wtxbadger
wtxbadger

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 05:42:58 PM »
Because of the rules of the site, some things are not to be talked about, personally I think it is a mistake to censor any type of discussion, it is not generally considered the American Way, we gain knowledge by learning of the experience of others, however he who owns the site makes the rules, this is just how it is in real life.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 06:48:30 PM »
Tim,
Were the older rifle actions considered SB1's?  Reason I ask is cause I got one for each of my sons in 223 cal and they can only be fitted with the 30-30, 45-70 and pistol cal, and of course shotgun barrels.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 09:10:37 PM »
Tim,
Were the older rifle actions considered SB1's?  Reason I ask is cause I got one for each of my sons in 223 cal and they can only be fitted with the 30-30, 45-70 and pistol cal, and of course shotgun barrels.

If you mean the pre '99 frames, yes, there were SB1 and SB2 frames then, but there were no designations other than model numbers like 058, 157 or 158 manufactured by the original H&R that went out of business in 1986.

Tim