Author Topic: Survivor Stock- Noisy?  (Read 3054 times)

Offline RickC.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Survivor Stock- Noisy?
« on: January 21, 2008, 05:30:07 AM »
As tempting as the laminate thumbhole stocks are, after hunting with my .280 Handi several times this year, I want to cut down on the weight.  I love the rifle, but it's heavier than my Vanguard.

Those of you have have/hunt with the survivor stock-- I'm guessing the hollow compartment makes for a noisy stock.  Having a place to hold shells, fire-starting materials, isn't important to me. 

Two questions:

1.  Is the stock noisy to handle and if so is it easy to make it quiet?
2.  Would the lighter stock make the 26" .280 too muzzle-heavy?

Thanks,

Rick
"You cain't teach what you don't know anymore than you can come back from where you ain't been"- John Osteen

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
Re: Survivor Stock- Noisy?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 05:41:25 AM »
I use the foreend

rick it might feel muzzle heavy
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline dumgunny

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 10:54:46 AM »
I don't notice my survivors being any noisier than good seasoned walnut. They come with a divider in the butt and the forend that can be positioned to the center that effectively reduces the large cavity into 2 smaller ones. I also find that a neoprene ctg "cuff" helps to dampen the noise caused buy small twigs and limbs rubbing the stock.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 11:17:44 AM »
My synthetic stocks have a hollow sound.
Some have filled with great stuff foam.
I have had god luck sticking a shirt in mine.

Offline Foggy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 11:55:32 AM »
Gunny
that 280 sports just enough barrel to be nose heavy with a lighter butt stock

Offline RickC.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 05:34:58 PM »
Thanks guys.

I noticed the editing-- I was referencing a popular Saturday Night Live skit from the early 90s, I meant no offense :)

Rick
"You cain't teach what you don't know anymore than you can come back from where you ain't been"- John Osteen

Offline Foggy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 09:33:38 PM »
Rick
Non taken just  the humor police I got it  must not have your own thoughts LOL

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 05:46:10 AM »
I thought the weight balance was a good question, so I tried it out for you.  I took my 26" barreled 280 and balanced it on a round surface.  With the laminate stock, it seems to have a center of mass about 1-1/2" in front of the hinge.   With the Survivor stock set, the balance point shifts forward to almost 2-1/2" in front of the hinge.  In these pics, the barrel and buttstock are not touching the table, the gun is only resting on a round surface beneath the forend.
Keep in mind the survivor stock is an inch shorter than most wood stocks, so the short length of pull will make it seem like the 26" barrel is even more front heavy while offhand shooting.

Offline dumgunny

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 07:01:24 AM »
Well,
  If the balance bothers you, you could always fill the buttstock with shot or something, but that negates the lighter overall weight.
 Like you, I find that the laminates feel very butt heavy , and some of the Ultras have a steel weight in them!  I bought a new Ultra in 45/70 and it had what looks like a piece of 1" bar stock about 8" long in the bolt channel. You may want to remove the butt plate and check yours.
   But you cold also go with pallet wood its somewhere between the two in weight. all my "base " barrels for my keeper Handi have been shortened to 16.5 inches, so I don't have the "muzzle Heavy" problem with my survivor stocks.
DG

Offline RickC.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 07:45:12 AM »
Thanks VERY much for those photos and comments.  I wasn't aware the LOP is shorter on the Survivor stocks.

Gunny, palletwood is what's on my .280 now.  I've been tempted to have the barrel cut and crowned a few times, but I want that velocity!  Besides, the rifle has oustanding accuracy as is, I don't want to go messing with the muzzle.

Rick

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 08:05:19 AM »
Rick, some judicious weight placement in the butt of the Survivor stock would help change the balance without adding too much weight, perhaps a 4 to 8oz piece of lead flattened and placed  against the butt plate, or under a large Limbsaver slip-on pad to lengthen the LOP and fill the stock with packing peanuts to deaden the hollow space, or something along that line of thinking. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline RickC.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 12:52:31 PM »
Thanks Tim.

I'm thinking now maybe just Choate synthetics or maybe the camo synthetics from NEF (those are available as accessories, right?).  Once I got the the forend/spacer issue settled on my .30-30, the Choates have been great.

Oh-- and one other question-- how well does the Survivor forend fir a standard contour barrel?

thanks,

Rick

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 01:06:07 PM »
Yes, the camo syn monte carlo set it available from H&R, part numbers and price are on the Retail Parts Price list page in the FAQs as a add on link, not in the .pdf, I'll have to see if H&R has a 2008 printed yet. ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,119864.msg1098412040.html#msg1098412040
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain