Author Topic: Forend Question  (Read 4426 times)

Offline agger1142

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Adam G. Ross
Forend Question
« on: January 09, 2008, 04:39:38 PM »
For all of ya'll out there more knowledgeable than me:

How hard should the forend be to take off of my handirifle?  I undid the screw and tried pulling like the instructions said, but the thing won't budge.  I'm a bit afraid to pull too hard, as I have a habit of being too heavy-handed and breaking things at times.  Thanks.
Ye rigid Ploughman! bear in mind Your labor is for future hours. Advance! spare not! nor look behind! Plough deep and straight with all your powers!  - Richard Hengist Horne

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Forend Question
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 04:59:49 PM »
I like mine so the forend will just stay on without the screw, at least that's a good place to start. On the wood/laminated forend, you can remove the two screws in the spacer and flat sand the spacer to decrease the pressure to install the forend, you can alway add a shim between the spacer and forend if it's too loose, I use aluminum furnace tape, it's about .002" thick and multiple layers can be added to increase the length for a tighter fit, just trim it with a sharp blade so it's the same or slightly smaller than the profile of the spacer so it doesn't show.

Synthetic forends aren't as user friendly since there's no spacer, it they're loose, you'll need a new one or some modification of the hole.

There a lots of accurizing tips in the FAQs and Help sticky, I'm pretty sure what I just wrote is already in there, if it isn't, it will be, spend some time in there and you'll learn a lot. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Forend Question
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 12:25:41 AM »
agger1142, you will not hurt it, just remove the screw and pull the forearm as hard as you can, downward and away from the barrel (from the end nearest the muzzle of course!!). I have had some that are to snug and some that were a bit loose, I swapped the spacers around until I liked the way they all fit (some spacers are different thicknesses). Quick told you how to do that by removing the 2 small screws that hold the spacer, after you PULL the forearm off of course. Good luck and let us know how it works out....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley