Author Topic: Yep, my stock is weighted  (Read 2911 times)

Offline just bill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Yep, my stock is weighted
« on: January 06, 2008, 02:55:33 AM »
12 Gauge Pardner Turkey gun...............nice

;D ;)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Yep, my stock is weighted
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 06:40:04 AM »
That looks just about like my home made stock weight except it's a lead filled pipe, is that a steel rod?

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 06:53:00 AM »
Yep,  I stuck a magnet on it  ;)

Its coated with something?

Tight fit both length and diameter all the way to the bolt.  Rubber washer for stock bolt end.

Then a screw installed at a 45 degree angle on pad side further locks it in.  Screw is in picture.

Pretty hefty hunk-o-steel i ;)  Ballance is much better / less barrel heavy.............this thing carries great!  Thats why I grab it so much   ;)

The hunk-o-steel and some shells in the sadle,etc. all help w) re-coil in the 3.5" 12 gauge.

I broke down this am and just ordered a Decelerator recoil pad and some Fed. prem. plated 3" #4 Buck to pattern as a predator load.

I went w) a slip on pad to fill the gap between by black shell sadle on the stock and the fit pad.  I dont have much of a recoil problem w) 3.5" if standing............but,  I shot some Fed. HD /  BB 3.5" loads that were a scorching 1450 fps yesterday...............and that was the line l :D.  Velocity sure makes a difference in recoil.  What goes out one end is going to come back at ya on the other  ;)  Huge differance between 1450 & 1250 in felt recoil.

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 06:58:12 AM »
PS-  To those wanting to weight or balance there wood Pardner stock.  I would just call the folks @ NEF.........be friendly  ;)...........and ask if you can buy the steel plug  ;)

Put a rubber washer on the bolt end and pilot a 45 degree hole on the other,  add a screw for locking it   :)

Much quicker than looking around for a hunk-o-steel or lead just the right size........

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 10:12:11 AM »
That is the same weight they put in the Ultra Slug Hunters. I took mine out of my 20ga USH because I don't find the recoil that bad, even on the bench. I would definitely want everything including the kitchen sink in the stock when shooting those 3.5" turkey loads out of a Pardner, they are brutal.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline John020769

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 07:14:40 AM »
What is better steel or lead?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 07:44:13 AM »
Lead weighs more but getting if in a form to fit the bolt hole is the hard part, I've used a lead filled pipe for weight and have used a mercury suppressor, a 16oz suppressor will reduce recoil more than twice that of a dead weight, and you have less weight to carry. But if you just want to balance the firearm to carry better, then it wouldn't matter what you use.  ;) The link below is from the FAQs. I checked the H&R parts list in the Pardner owner's manual, they don't list the stock weight as a part, so getting one from H&R may not be possible, the only way to find out is call or email them, see the FAQs for their contact info.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,127082.msg1098456742.html#msg1098456742
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline NMGator

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 01:47:14 PM »
Nickels and a couple of cotton balls.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 07:28:28 AM »
Go to any 'machine shop' in your area, they will likely have round stock and will cut you a hunk, If you have a biggish dia, short coil spring (like a car valve spring) to stick in with just a little compression it will work.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline rsh4364

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 01:15:54 PM »
If u want to use lead and be neat about it a 3/4 inch diam. 8 inch long section of copper tubing fits just like factory..then u can melt lead and pour in or just tape one end go to gun shop and fill with shot tape other end and install..

Offline rsh4364

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 02:06:49 PM »
What if instead of 1 8 inch weight you used 2 3 inch weights in combination with 2 1 inch coil springs ?  coil spring-3 inch weight- coil spring- weight..Of course you would have to use melted lead in tubing or solder ends of copper tubing.. Any thoughts ?  Oh yeah on my taped ends I used thick rubber washers on each end so tape doesnt wear off..double garden hose thickness..works

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 03:09:17 AM »
Hmmm.....when you said garden hose I suddenly thought of those hose washers too, maybe about the right thickness and dia.
I thought the spring would help to 'tune' the recoil impulse, but without having a selection of spring weights and a way to accurately measure the recoil it was a crap shoot. Plus the effect on balance for me was just not right. If the gun wont balance at about the front action hingepin it wont mount and follow well (evidence the 'between the hands' balance of a good bird gun). Not that Im any kind of expert in that either, but I know I need all the help I can get, and Ive learned that tradition doesnt always have to be disregarded!
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974