Author Topic: 1 frame = 1 barrel  (Read 5499 times)

Offline 45/70fan

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
1 frame = 1 barrel
« on: December 26, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
No more switching barrels on my one frame anymore. I'm gonna have one receiver for each barrel from now on. Last year after sighting in my 45/70 and 308 barrels I missed a nice 8 pointer, shot about 18" low with the 308. This year I sighted in the 45/70 and 25-06. Saturday I killed a big tree with the 45/70, over 24" to the left of point of aim. No it's not buck fever, because I went to the range after each instance to make sure if it was me or not. I'm using Nikon Monarch and ProSaff scopes and they adjust back pretty quick off the bench, so I don't think that's the problem. I'm hunting from the ground, so their not getting banged. It's got me puzzled and frustrated.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: 1 frame = 1 barrel
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 10:45:32 AM »
I can't argue with your results, however I have never had a problem with changing a barrel as long as the scope was mounted to it.  Unless you have some extreme pressure on the forearm, I would look for some other problem, changing out a barrel is mostly like just opening the barrel to load another round.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 10:53:16 AM »
Are you tightening the fore arm screw the same every time.
Tim uses a torqueing screwdriver.
I use my cordless drill on the LOWEST setting.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 11:09:56 AM »
Are you switching scopes as well?
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline 45/70fan

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 11:45:56 AM »
each barrel had it's own scope. maybe forearm pressure is it, I just use a regular screwdriver to tighten.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 11:50:20 AM »
As sensitive as Handis are to forend pressure, it's imperative that everything be the same each time the barrel is installed, if you're using the same forend, screw torque is the only practical variable you have control over. Even using an index mark won't cover all bases since temp and humidity changes as well as wood/plastic compression will change even that, so setting the screw to the same torque each time is the best we can do. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 12:09:36 PM »
Inever had much confidence in switching barrels around on a Handi. I have two Handi's and each has its own frame.

Fitting another barrel to these two actions would not work very well since these barrels are bedded and fitted to the actions with epoxy steel and the forearm is
fitted and bedded to the frame and and the forearm lug bolt.

I don't think you can expect pin point accuray with a switch barrel system,
nevertheless accuracy should be not too bad with a switch barrel.

24" despersion is not acceptable, other items need to be addressed. The only way
a Handi will perform with good accuracy is when you have a unified system, and a
repeatable lockup, cartridges need to fit perfect, no loose joints or wobbles.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline 45/70fan

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 12:37:48 PM »
My 45/70 had proven itself a tack driver till I started swaping barrels. It will become dedicated to this frame.
I think I'll get a 7 mag when available, even tho I hate extractors, I love the caliber.
Then just one smaller caliber with it's own frame and I'll have the Handi bases covered without swapping.

Offline ccoorreeyy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 01:09:19 PM »
I have always wanted the entire rifles too.  I have many singles in both encores and handi's and never did like to look in the safe and see barrels only.  Just my likes.
This is the day that the Lord hath made!!  I will rejoice and be glad in it!!

Offline TLARbb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 05:50:18 PM »
I would be of the 1 barrel = 1 frame persuasion for Handi's especially since you can get a complete rifle for about the cost of an Encore barrel.  Also, you can have 3 handis for the cost of one Ruger #1.  Having a complete rifle that is properly set up takes the variables out of it as much as can be expected.  That's the way I would go.

EJ

Offline deerjackie

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 07:14:21 AM »
did he sight the gun in after changing barrels? 
WHATS THAT SMELL?                                                                                                  USS FORRESTAL CV-59  1983-1987 r div ht2

Offline coop2564

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 02:14:13 PM »
Ive had the same problems and come to same conclusions!
Browning Illusion Bow
Omega Thumbhole .50_NEF Huntsman .50
Knight KP1 .243_Custom Rem 700 .308_Browning Safari Bar .300 WSM, Ruger No.1 30-06
Taurus .41 rem mag Raging Bull_S&W M&P 40C_Browning BuckMark .22_Savage 93R .17HMR

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 03:09:59 PM »
for what they cost the fitting seems to be a lot of needles trouble
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline funshooter2

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 08:53:19 PM »
I tend to be of the 1 barrel = 1 gun type, myself. Less hassel. The exception might be a .22/20ga combo for a pack or emergancy bag gun. JMO though. I've always wondered if the optics would stay the same during a swap.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 11:36:57 PM »
Part of the appeal of the Handi rifles to me was the fact I could swap out barrels. I can not argue with the convenience of having 1 frame for every barrel. I do swap out barrels, but have rather controlled conditions. I like the laminated stocks and fore ends and have them on both of my frames. I have 2 frames with three factory fitted barrels for each (one that came with the frame and 2 additional for each frame). Each barrel has it's own pillar bedded fore end. I have opened the barrel channel so that there is no touching with the exception of the pillar and the plastic fore end cap that goes against the frame on all my barrels. I use "up pressure" on some barrels. It is a shim that goes between the barrel and the fore end out at the extreme tip of the fore end. If the shim varies I get a shift of impact up or down depending on the amount of shim used or not used. As long as I use the same shim when sighting in, the impact point will not change when I swap out barrels. I have never got a shift of impact side to side; only up and down, but it was predictable (at least I knew it was going to change). I think if you have a good fit of the fore end, are consistent with setting torque and have a good barrel fit to the frame, there is no reason that your point of impact would change any way near that much. I can see POI changing an inch or two if every thing is not the same from barrel swap to barrel swap, but at 24" there is some thing definitely wrong. Are all your barrels factory fitted? I suspect that either the barrel to frame fit is sloppy or you are getting different pressure points on your barrel from the fore end when you swap out the barrel. Since you are shooting side to side I suspect that the fore end is pushing on one side more than the other and it is not consistent from sight in to swapping out the barrel the next time. Good Luck and Good Shooting.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 03:34:05 AM »
No more switching barrels on my one frame anymore. I'm gonna have one receiver for each barrel from now on. Last year after sighting in my 45/70 and 308 barrels I missed a nice 8 pointer, shot about 18" low with the 308. This year I sighted in the 45/70 and 25-06. Saturday I killed a big tree with the 45/70, over 24" to the left of point of aim. No it's not buck fever, because I went to the range after each instance to make sure if it was me or not. I'm using Nikon Monarch and ProSaff scopes and they adjust back pretty quick off the bench, so I don't think that's the problem. I'm hunting from the ground, so their not getting banged. It's got me puzzled and frustrated.

Seems like extremely poor accuracy for the variable involved.  Not saying I don't believe you, but that is quite amazing.  Is the Nikon Prostaff on the 45/70??  If so, I had the same combo and my 45/70 kicked the heck out of it this season.  It was a tack driver in the preseason, and I ended up missing 3 deer with it, the closest be broadside at 40 yards.  The accuracy was so bad, I'm lucky I didn't shoot myself...LOL..  Anyway, upgraded the scope to the next price point in Nikon and the 45/70 now has great accuracy again.  I shot and shot and shot it and it has stayed on zero so far.

Lazer
LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 05:27:24 AM »
I'm going to that conclusion myself.  I either need to get more frames or sell some barrels, changing them out is more of a hassel than I want to do.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 05:34:21 AM »
i  bought a 20 gage barrel for $10 at a gun store cole out
never  installed  it  in 5 years  so far

i may  fit it  as a small game back up for one of  my handi
but then  i might just bring  my o/u 20 if i decide  to small ame hunt during a big game hunt

what  are the  odds  this shot gun barrel  will  fit several frames????
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 08:48:36 AM »
Why is it such a hassle to sight in a handi after swapping bbls?  I'm like LaOtto, in the fact that swapping bbls is a large benifit to owning a handi... Everyone I know sights in their rifles before season anyhow... Just part of it... Not really a huge hassle.
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline coop2564

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 10:10:07 AM »
Why is it such a hassle to sight in a handi after swapping bbls?  I'm like LaOtto, in the fact that swapping bbls is a large benifit to owning a handi... Everyone I know sights in their rifles before season anyhow... Just part of it... Not really a huge hassle.
I live in the city and cant just go out the back door and shoot to check the POI when I change barrels it cost $10 at the range, 30mins drive (oneway) of fighting Dallas traffic and couple of dollars worth of bullets. Pretty big hassle for me! My 308 and 243 were not off the amount the poster stated but always 2 to 8". My 243 never would group anyway so I bedded the forend to my 308 and so far its held its accurcy well just using the one barrel.
Browning Illusion Bow
Omega Thumbhole .50_NEF Huntsman .50
Knight KP1 .243_Custom Rem 700 .308_Browning Safari Bar .300 WSM, Ruger No.1 30-06
Taurus .41 rem mag Raging Bull_S&W M&P 40C_Browning BuckMark .22_Savage 93R .17HMR