Author Topic: Important Handi Accuracy Tip  (Read 8283 times)

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Important Handi Accuracy Tip
« on: December 16, 2007, 06:23:32 AM »
Where the latch bears on the lug, after many shots slight 'brinelling' (shiny marks) will be visible. This reveals the status of the mate-up of the latch and lug. Two of my three Handi's showed off-center 'brinelling' which results in poor accuracy (with the fore-end removed). It is well known that, if a Handi won't shoot accurately with the fore-end off, it will not likely ever shoot well. What I have been doing after each range session is LIGHTLY stoning the lug to move the 'brinelling' so that it becomes even across the entire lug width. After light stoning I re-blue the lug surface so that firing the gun again  will 're-brinell' the surface and show the new status of the mating surfaces. Slowly my 204 and 223 are getting closer to the ideal situation. MY Hornet was even across the width of the lug from the get-go and it shoots great with the fore-end off. I suspect that the more powerful calibers will mate-up with fewer firings.

Hope this helps someone.

Mc

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Important Handi Accuracy Tip
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 06:29:38 AM »
Thanks Mc, that is wonderful and simple info. I see an addition to the FAQ's coming up. I believe this good bit of info should be there....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 10:07:17 AM »
Done, thanks Mc!! ;) But a note of caution, if you're experiencing accuracy issues on a factory fitted barrel, sending the rifle in for service is always the first option, making changes on the latch shelf can result in a lose barrel and lockup. McLernon being in Canada doesn't avail him the easy service opportunity that we in the States enjoy, so making changes himself is easier for him. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 11:43:59 AM »
Sample of 3 is small.  The result could just be coincidental.  However, the principle of even contact across the mating surfaces being good is right on the money.  Not saying I don't believe it; I am saying I would like to hear from other folks and build the conclusion from a larger number of observations.  Think I'll go look at mine. ...
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline wtroger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 02:01:31 PM »
I have found that you are correct. Either the lugs are not cut straight or the pins are not square with the frame. Either way it causes problems. I use the lug fitting techniques in the FAQ's to even the bearing surfaces on the lug. I don't like removing metal from the lug. H&R has enough head space problems without removing metal from the lug area. I have seen them have as much as .004 on one side of the lug.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 07:01:16 PM »
Where the latch bears on the lug, after many shots slight 'brinelling' (shiny marks) will be visible. This reveals the status of the mate-up of the latch and lug. Two of my three Handi's showed off-center 'brinelling' which results in poor accuracy (with the fore-end removed). It is well known that, if a Handi won't shoot accurately with the fore-end off, it will not likely ever shoot well. What I have been doing after each range session is LIGHTLY stoning the lug to move the 'brinelling' so that it becomes even across the entire lug width. After light stoning I re-blue the lug surface so that firing the gun again  will 're-brinell' the surface and show the new status of the mating surfaces. Slowly my 204 and 223 are getting closer to the ideal situation. MY Hornet was even across the width of the lug from the get-go and it shoots great with the fore-end off. I suspect that the more powerful calibers will mate-up with fewer firings.

Hope this helps someone.

Mc

I know this may sound bad...and...while this may be good advise...I would urge some of the folks new to Handi's  to be cautious when doing any of these types of fixes...and to thoroughly examine your rifle before jumping in with a set of stones or files on any thing......The higher power center fires will mate quicker than the others...and any stoning on the shelf is going to cause premature wearing on the shelf..which can effect the lock up sooner than expected..Granted...not all shelves are even across the surface and can use a little touching up... but some will never show true across it.....no matter how much they are stoned or filed..and some can still be very accurate and consistent if left alone ...Some of my most accurate rifles have had harder wear on 1 side as compared to the other side and still shoot excellent...fore arm on or off......and as long as the lock up remains constant and the head space remains the same...accuracy shouldn't vary..provided it was correct to begin with...also... it can still be fitted correctly and still show uneven wear across the shelf too...because the frame barrel gap is set and correct...This can be checked by taking measurements on both sides..the top..and as low as you can get a feeler gauge in next to the side of the frame...Now if the lug is mis fitted...it too will cause it to show uneven wear on the shelf..and stoning the shelf isn't going to straighten this out..the only way to have it "right" is to correct the lug...not the shelf..unless the shelf is truly uneven...usually when the lug isn't fitted correctly to the hinge pin...or the chamber face isn't true ...there will be uneven gaps between the barrel and the frame...One other thing...I have actually found shavings embedded on the latch and some with burrs on them......this too can cause an uneven wear mark across the shelf...and once removed..the lock up was as it should be...so...just stoning the shelf may help in a lot of cases.....but not all...and could even make things worse than if allowed to wear in naturally...When in doubt...call the fine folks at NEF before attempting any major repair...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 12:57:32 AM »
Good Job, Mc. 

Thanks a bunch.   ;)

Offline fish280

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 05:59:27 AM »