Author Topic: can synthetic stock be shortened?  (Read 4063 times)

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
can synthetic stock be shortened?
« on: December 08, 2007, 07:23:28 AM »
Ok, I like a short stocked rifle.  No, I REALLY like a short stocked rifle and their handling properties.  I find that a handi with a 13" pull is just right.  On my lever action Marlins, I even prefer a 12 3/4" pull.  Soooooooooo the question is this.  I'm looking at a used handi with a synthetic stock.  Can this be easily shortened like the wood stocks?  or is it hollow ahead of a end piece and not able to be cut shorter?  Second question.  I am about to cut my BC stock and shorten it.  I'm debating a thick rubber pad or a short rifle type rubber pad.  Recoil has not been an issue.  Most of my loads are in the low second level.  Any recommendations? 
Oh, and I know someone is going to ask what caliber the used one is.  That was my first question but as soon as it was out of my mouth, I smiled.  It really didn't matter.  If the price is good, I can find a use for it no matter what caliber it is!  Right Quick?  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: can synthetic stock be shortened?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 07:31:56 AM »
Yup!! ;D

One option would be a youth synthetic stock, but the syn stock can be shortened, the stock is hollow, one member cut it off, then epoxied wood mounting points for the screws, depending on how much you cut off, the mount points may get cut off. Then reshape the pad for the slightly smaller contour. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 44 Man

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 07:34:49 AM »
Quick, what is the length of pull on a youth stock?  I can always replace this one, but I'd rather adjust it for economy reasons.  44 Man

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 07:37:19 AM »
I cut mine off,don't remember how much but not much over a 1/4 inch.Still able to use screws to put it on and all I had to do was reshape pad.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline vinpar092

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 06:18:44 AM »
Quick, I cut my synthetic 45-70 about 1/2" and mounted a limbsaver pad by using my dremel to get a peice of oak shaped like I wanted and then epoxied with JB weld. I push the Barnes original about 2300 fps with no problems with the glued oak peice. I have roughly 100 rounds through it and one hog down.

Vince

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 07:11:32 AM »
Vince, I knew someone had done it, or was gonna do it, just didin't remember who. :-[ ;D

I added this thread to the FAQs so I don't have to remember any more!! :D

thanks,

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 04:52:12 PM »

Offline 44 Man

shortening a synthetic mc stock
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 06:31:06 AM »
Ok, just a little heads up for those of you who might be considering this.  Others of you will undoubtedly be shaking your heads saying 'Oh yeah, that's easy to do!'.  I prefer a shorter length of pull, about 13 1/2" on a scoped gun and closer to 13" on my little .45 colt carbine and my topper 30-30.  I just received one of the old style synthetic mc stocks from Petemi.  Giving it a close look over I decided that shortening it to 13 1/2" lop would be no problem.  The screw holes for the pad go into bosses that continue into the stock allowing it to be shortened some without problems.  Well I cut the stock 5/8" which would make it perfect (after removing the sling swivel stud) but then I needed to take just a little more off on the grinder to true it ending up with 3/4" off.  (I always want to get it down with one cut, usually ending up with a stock just a little shorter than I intended)  You can't just push it through the table saw and keep everything square.  So I then I drilled the screw holes deeper (no problem) and thinned the boss on the back of the pad to fit back into the stock.  Again, no problem.  Only problem was when I removed material from the toe of the pad to match back up to the stock.  When I brought it back to the same angle as the stock, I exposed a bit of the backing plate through the rubber at the very bottom.  It's only a very small amount, and only a cosmetic issue so no problem.  So if you decide you would like to shorten your own, stop at 5/8" inch, or make sure you taper the toe up from the tip of it to the stock, don't take it down to where it matches the angle of the stock quite all the way.  Had I stayed at my intended 13 1/2" I would not have written this post and would have been totally ignorant of how close I came with it.  As it is I have a 13 3/8" lop, which is fine, and a tiny hole in the rubber at the toe.  Oh, you have to reposition the sling swivel stud as the base pad screw runs into the hole.  Might have missed that too, ha ha.  44 Man

Offline jackddavis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • HMDS
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 06:44:46 AM »
I, too, like a shorter length of pull. To shorten my synthetic stock, I removed the recoil pad and replaced it with a butt plate. Recoil pad not necessary for the .357 mag. This shortened it ~1/2".
Jack

Continuous NRA member since ~1965