Author Topic: My new 45-70 Handi Scout Rifle  (Read 7168 times)

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
My new 45-70 Handi Scout Rifle
« on: November 24, 2007, 05:59:21 AM »
First of all I want to thank quickdtoo and trotterlg for giving me advice and ideas about this project.

I just got my scout setup put together to see what it looks like and to check the eye relief of the 2x Leupold handgun scope.
I used a Weaver #92A scope base for the T/C Contender (Thanks trotterlg). It uses four 6-48 screws to attach it to the barrel, this is the same size screws that the Handi barrel uses for the rear sight. The two center holes in the base are the correct spacing for the rear sight holes that are already drilled and tapped in the barrel. I have already ordered the drill bits and taps from MidwayUSA so that I can install the other two screws in the base and complete my project.
I already had a set of Weaver low rings and these will work great. They are so low that the eye piece will contact the base if you move it any more forward. I'm thinking about removing the metal at the top rear of the base, up to the first cross slot, this would allow me to slide the scope all the way up against the rear ring.
The scope is far enough forward that I can still carry the gun around the frame which makes them so Handi. The Weaver rings are easily removed with a coin should I desire to remove the scope in the field and use the peep sights. I took the gun outside and shouldered it several times at various objects and the scope picture was great and fast to get on target. I had my wife measure the distance from my eye to the eye piece of the scope and she said it was twelve inches.
As soon as I get the other two holes drilled and tapped and get all four screws in the base I'll try this rig out with some ammo.
I'm going to try to post a picture of my project, this is my first attempt at a picture so wish me luck.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: My new 45-70 Handi Scout Rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 06:01:40 AM »
Lookin good, I'll add this to the FAQs!! ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 06:12:06 AM »
Excellent!!!

Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 06:45:45 AM »
You've done well grasshopper  I'am shaking your hand you cracked thanks!!! O wonder what other barrels it will work on. I guess it will depend on taper of the barrel
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline Slufoot

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 08:00:41 AM »
Lookin good, I'll add this to the FAQs!! ;D

Tim

WOW! Thanks Tim, I'll take that as a complement.

Thanks GrampaMike & Foggy,
I was at Gander Mtn yesterday and they had a 44 Magnum Handi-Rifle. It had the same taper as my 45-70. I had taken measurements of my barrel and wrote them down on a piece of paper. I took the paper and a caliper with me to Gander Mtn. They also had Weaver bases for the T/C Encore which also uses 6-48 screws and has the same hole spacing as the Contender, but the Encore base is just barely to large in diameter. I was able to try both bases at Gander Mtn on their 44 Handi-Rifle to check for fit and the Contender base was the one to use.
Also the Contender base could be reversed on the Handi barrel if you need to mount the scope closer to your eye, because it has a shelf on one end. The Encore base would not allow you to do this because it would ride up on the chamber part of the barrel, because it has no shelf.
I have taken a couple more pictures to give you a better look at the actual mount. As you can see in the photo with the scope removed, I have two of the mounting screws installed in the rear sight holes. The screws that came with the base are the correct length. I can't wait to get the other two screws installed and shoot this thing!

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot 

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 10:29:26 AM »
Man, that is going to be a fine rifle.I have two scout set ups and have had great luck with them   really good work    Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline Slufoot

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 02:12:53 PM »
Man, that is going to be a fine rifle.I have two scout set ups and have had great luck with them   really good work    Doug

Thank you canon6,
What type rifles have you setup into the scout configuration?
This is my first one and so far I'm very pleased with how it's turning out.
GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 03:15:15 PM »
Slufoot

Thanks alot buddy , you just had to go and do that didn't you .  ;D  My 22" 45/70 is sitting here with no scope and i just happen to have a 2x handgun scope + a set of med. Weaver rings on the shelf .

stimpy

PS --- I like the idea , you did good  ;)
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Slufoot

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 03:47:55 PM »
Slufoot

Thanks alot buddy , you just had to go and do that didn't you .  ;D  My 22" 45/70 is sitting here with no scope and i just happen to have a 2x handgun scope + a set of med. Weaver rings on the shelf .

stimpy

PS --- I like the idea , you did good  ;)

stimpy, sorry but I'm always tinkering with guns, can't never leave well enough alone.
All you need is a $10 base, a couple of holes drilled and tapped and you should be good to go.
Thanks for the complement!

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline dumgunny

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 05:23:29 PM »
  That is the (censored word)! I see a new scope setup for my 16½" .308 bbl in the future!!! I'll bet you could get by with 2 screws on a 44mag bbl. Thats what I had on my 45/410 survivor and it was solid!!
Good Job!

Offline Thebear_78

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 06:30:56 PM »
The 45/70 is a great candidate for a scout rifle.  I have had two scouts a 45/70 and 1917 enfield  in 9.3x62.  They are very practicle hunting weapons.  they shoot great out to 150-200 yards for the 45/70 and are plenty accurate for hunting applications.  One thing I will caution you when target shooting with it. Don't try to use the standard rifle style target with fine bullseye.  Instead use somehing like a 6" solid orange or black bullseye and aim for the middle.  Its fairly easy to shoot some pretty good groups when shooting for the center of a larget bullet as compared to tryign to see a tiny bullseye at longer ranges.  I'm sure you will really enjoy it.  Try some Rem 405gr JSP with H322 for around 1900fps, they are real hammers on deer and black bear.

Offline JimP.

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 04:36:40 AM »
Only scout configuration in a rifle is my 1937 Husqvarna 9,3 X 57 Mauser rifle, I mounted a Bushnell Red Dot scope using the front scope mounts which lets me load with a stripper clip.  Which is the original idea of Col Cooper, but I didnt shorten the barrel to 18 inches or use a pistol scope, but it is mine and I like it. JimP.;D

Offline misterguy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 04:46:32 AM »
Looks sweet!  I know if I'm ever gonna put a scope on a 45/70 it'll be in scout configuration.  Cause I've seen guys come into the local shop with shiners from shooting short eye relief scopes on big guns :o.  Can't wait to see the report man!

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 06:23:56 AM »
Neat idea but I won't jump on the bandwagon until we see a range report. I would expect that the barrel taper would cause it to shoot extremely high since the T/C mount does not have a corresponding taper to its' underside. In other words, your scope is parallel to the top of the barrel, not to the bore, but hopefully the scope will have sufficient range of adjustment, maybe.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Clodhopper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 06:55:02 AM »
I'm trying to do the same thing with an old model 058 in 30-30 (made in 1984).  Tried an extra TC scope mount that I had and the barrel contour didn't match up.  My barrel is skinny and tapered so I am back in the chase for a scope mount.

Offline whiteoper

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 02:48:27 PM »
Very nice rifle you've built there.  That is almost the rifle I would like to build for banging around on the quad.  Thanks for sharing the pictures.

roscoe

Offline Foggy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 03:08:44 PM »
remember  your scope must be mounted level with the bore or the scope is looking down. you will shoot way high  dangerously high depending how far you are trying to shoot. when you bore sight you will need alot of elevation Slufoot Idea is so good but needs refining or you will be shooting over your backstop.  sorry for sounding like chicken little

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2007, 04:00:51 PM »
The taper on the "bull barrel" handi's is just about right to get the scope right in the middle of it's adjustment at 100 yards.  My 22 Mag had plenty of adjustment left, even having it zero at 50 yards, Thompson Contender base and I used low rings.   Larry

A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Slufoot

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2007, 04:18:32 PM »
coyotejoe & Foggy, I've thought alot about the barrel taper. The Leupold 2x handgun scope has 86 inches of elevation adjustment, this should be plenty. If the scope will not adjust enough all I will have to do is shim the front of the base up which is no big deal.

Thebear_78, I know what you mean about using a large target with a low power scope. I have shot some very respectable groups with large targets and iron sights, peep sights and low power scopes.
If you can't see your target how in the heck are you supposed to hit it?
I load the 405 Remington bullet for my Marlin 1895 Guide Gun and push it to 1750 FPS and it does great on whitetails.

Very nice rifle you've built there.  That is almost the rifle I would like to build for banging around on the quad.  Thanks for sharing the pictures.

roscoe
whiteoper, That is exactly what I'm doing with this gun. I modified and mounted a set of gun holding brackets in the threaded holes for mounting mirrors on my ATV, and this is where my Handi rides.

trotterlg, you posted as I was writing this. Thanks for the information on the elevation adjustment and also for letting me know about the Contender base.
Is your base a Weaver 92A? I don't see the overhang on one end like mine has.

Our last day of firearms deer season is Saturday and I'm hoping to get this thing done before then so I can try to get a deer with it. I'll let you all know how it does just as soon as I Git-R-Done.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2007, 04:40:07 PM »
Mine is a 92A, I just cut the overhang off.  Some people pay a lot of money for scope mounts with some elevation built into them, the long range shooters would love to have what we have.  I may shoot a Coyote with mine next week, I keep it in Arizona, I know it is not good form to shoot Coyotes with a 22 Mag, but I will call them in real close.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Foggy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2007, 04:55:01 PM »
Slufoot I see what your saying it should work

I still think you cracked it and is a damn fine Idea I'am going to try on a bull 308

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2007, 04:40:12 AM »
 :) :) :) :) :) OUTSTANDING JOB  ;) ;) ;)

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2007, 06:47:01 AM »
Slufoot,

I like it.  I just picked up an older Handi in .45-70 and since I am sold on the Scout concept, would like to do the same with mine.

What peep sight/front sight combination are you using?

Offline Slufoot

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2007, 07:29:22 AM »
Slufoot,

I like it.  I just picked up an older Handi in .45-70 and since I am sold on the Scout concept, would like to do the same with mine.

What peep sight/front sight combination are you using?

woodchukhntr, The peep is a Williams WGRS for the H&R and the front is factory except I painted the face of it white with Testors enamel paint. I took the front sight off and cleaned it with denatured alcohol and then put it in the vise so that the area I wanted to paint would be level, to avoid runs. I then used a tooth pick to apply the paint, it took less than one drop to do the job.
The WGRS peep sight uses the two rear scope mount holes to attach it to the barrel. I also bought a Williams .150" Twilight Aperture and installed it in the peep sight.
I included a picture of both sights for you.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline henry1

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2007, 07:38:41 AM »
How much was the aperture? Is it a smaller hole? I have allways thought about a smaller holed aperture but never looked into it. Have you shot it yet?
Thanks.
Hank.
dont pee down my back and tell me its raining
if my guns were my children theyd be incredibly spoiled
the mountian has got its own way, pillgram
ther's many a slip twix the cup and the lip
Life member NAHC
Henry
hunter8734@yahoo.com
Looking for pdo

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator

Offline henry1

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2007, 09:10:44 AM »
Hey thanks Tim! ;D I just added a .050 holed aperture to my wishlist!  :o :o I will have to find some more stuff to buy before i order it! LOL
Hank
dont pee down my back and tell me its raining
if my guns were my children theyd be incredibly spoiled
the mountian has got its own way, pillgram
ther's many a slip twix the cup and the lip
Life member NAHC
Henry
hunter8734@yahoo.com
Looking for pdo

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2007, 09:30:33 AM »
I use the fine hole, large disk aperture at the range, and for hunting, use either no aperture at all which works like a ghost ring, or the Twilight aperture, depending on time of day and conditions. They're small and light and can be swapped out any time. ;)

Tim

Offline Slufoot

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2007, 11:56:50 PM »
How much was the aperture? Is it a smaller hole? I have allways thought about a smaller holed aperture but never looked into it. Have you shot it yet?
Thanks.
Hank.

Hello henry1, Tim gave you a link for all the apertures, thanks Tim!
I have shot it with the peep sight and really like it. I posted a range report after installing the peep, I have also taken a deer with the peep sights this year. I've only had my Handi-Rifle about a month and I really like it.
GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline siamese4570

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 06:01:18 AM »
Slufoot: I set up my 4570 a little bit different.  I used the standard scope base from H&R, weaver extension rings (these are the ones that the ring is offset from the ring base about an inch), and a Leupold 2x pistol scope.  the front ring is set in the front notch of the base with the scope ring forward.  The back ring is placed where ever it fits the scope.  All this results in the rear of the scope being flush with the rear or the barrel.  Can't remember exactly what the eye relief is but I think that it is about 6-8 inches.  Works for me.  No cookie cutter scars!

Siamese4570