Author Topic: H & R pardner 12 ga sight suggestions  (Read 9307 times)

Offline montveil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
H & R pardner 12 ga sight suggestions
« on: November 08, 2007, 03:31:47 AM »
I have a 12 ga mod choke that I would like to use for whitetails up to 30  yds 00 buck and -75 yds slugs.
I prefer not using a scope to maintain the birdshot options. and keep the costs down. After all it is a $100 shotgun
I was considering some of the fiber optic types as my old eyes need all the help they can get.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
MONTVEIL IN THE NC MOUNTAINS

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: H & R pardner 12 ga sight suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 08:42:59 AM »
I just put a fiber optic "green" TruGlo replacement bead on my 12ga.  It shows up real well in low light.  I like it.

As far as rear sights goes, "Good Luck keeping the cost down"  About the only way to get em on there is to use epoxy or solder, as most gunsmiths won't drill and tap for a sight/scope base.  The chamber area is not thick enough for it to be safe for D/T.

Most of the guys around here on GBO have done their own.  Good Luck

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 10:24:45 AM »
i used loctite black max 380 today to glue a site on my 12 ga pardner today. i read about the loctite on here and decided to try it. had a peep sight lying around so i preped the barrel and put them together. ordered a low ramp for the front of the barrel which i probably will use a screw to mount. i'll let you know how it shoots. this isn't a cheap project though. slugs group well in this gun but they are way low. hope sights will make it better
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 12:15:43 PM »
so after i got a front ramp for the pardner i sanded the blue off the barrel top and the ramp bottom. i had done the same  with the rear sight. so just friday i got a williams front bead that i ended tapping into the dovetail on the ramp. i thought that the ramp might come off. it never moved. that locktite is tough. cheap way to mount sights on a pardner

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 01:01:15 PM »
OK, so there's one thing that keeps buggin' me.  What's your index to get a straight line from the breech to the muzzle?   I'm worried I will get it all loctited down and be off center or cock-eyed. :o
Then I'd have to take it off and start over.

So how'd you get it on there straight??? ;D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 02:11:24 PM »
Also, do you think the loctite black max 380 would would if I wanted to put a set of plastic sights on a steel barrel?....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 03:19:42 PM »
Thanks Tim, it looks as it will work for my proposed application, and I see they have the Purple Loc-tite I have been looking for also....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 02:36:35 PM »
to index the placing of the sights, i just centered the front sight with the existing bead. pencil mark around the ramp. then use masking tape to outline the area you will sand and glue to. rear sight is tougher. i tried to center with the hammer.
shot it today. windage was no problem. elevation was not so good. when i had tried slugs with just a bead, it shot 18" low. now with sights it was still 10" low adjusted all the way up. i had used a post .450 instead of .484 that the brownell's calculator suggested. so when i got home i took out the .450 and put in a .300+/- i had here. hope that works. good thing is the locktite is rock solid

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 02:55:14 PM »
This is good FAQs info. ;)

Tim

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 04:01:43 PM »
finally finished my sighting in. the lower front post i installed still shot low. even with the rear sight set almost off the end of it's ramp. so i just filed that front post down to about half it's height. blued what was left. shot it today. i was able to back the rear sight down some and hit the target dead center. 3 shot group; 2 are touching and one is close. i am happy with that. now for some offhand practice.

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (81)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 02:00:47 AM »
Yes, Quick, that's good info for an FAQ. I have three single barrels that I would like to put sights on for slugs. The Loctite sounds good but has anybody tried the Permatex Rearview Mirror adhesive sold at auto parts stores? This is a two part liquid. I will try the Loctite and also the Permatex. Hunman55

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2007, 02:29:08 AM »
I have wondered about using the adhesive to install a dove-tail base on the barrel for the rear sight then installing a fold-down rear sight like the lever action rifles have on them.  Any thoughts on this?  Anyone tried this?  Maybe the same thing for the front sight...a dove-tail base, then you could change the sights out, if you wanted to.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline montveil

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 03:43:10 AM »
How can one remove a sight glued down with purple Locktite--or can you?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 05:33:08 AM »
Purple loctite is the weakest form they make, I wouldn't think it would hold very well at all, doesn't require heat to loosen screws.

Tim

http://www.midwayusa.com/technote.exe/technote?SaleItemID=445105

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2007, 06:07:40 AM »
As I understand it and have read, purple loctite is what SHOULD be used per the loctite people for the size (diameter and TPI) of screws in scope rails and rings that we use on guns. The reason blue is used is that purple has been so hard to locate....<><....:)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2007, 06:33:18 AM »
If I could find purple Loctite locally, I'd be glad to use it, but that hasn't happened yet. Blue works fine for base screws, just takes a little heat to remove it easily. Thread locker doesn't need to be used on ring screws per most manufacturers and gunsmiths, but if it did, purple would be the one to use. As I understand it from a very reputable retired law enforcement officer here, clear finger nail polish and purple Loctite work about the same. :D

Tim

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2007, 07:37:27 AM »
 :D :D :D ;D....<><.... ;D

I know they both work, if perhaps not exactly the same. Screws secured with them don't loosen, and that's good... ;)

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (81)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2007, 12:50:59 PM »
Cookieman, stretch a fine string from the top of the muzzle end to the top of the breech end. Be sure to get it centered-it should almost center itself if pulled a little tight. You will have a line to center your sites by. This has worked for me. Hunman55

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2007, 06:25:56 AM »
I just put a fiber optic "green" TruGlo replacement bead on my 12ga.  It shows up real well in low light.  I like it.

As far as rear sights goes, "Good Luck keeping the cost down"  About the only way to get em on there is to use epoxy or solder, as most gunsmiths won't drill and tap for a sight/scope base.  The chamber area is not thick enough for it to be safe for D/T.

Most of the guys around here on GBO have done their own.  Good Luck

cookiemann

I had one of those on my Pardner Turkey gun but took it off and went back to the bead after patterning.  I found for me the bead to be more accurate.  The TruGlo sat higher.

just my .2 cents

Offline montveil

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 07:31:45 AM »
I started this topic before I reall did any field work--sorry

Yesterday I put a slip- on recoil pad on my Pardner and fired a 3 " buckshot load-- Don't do that, the recoil is bone jarring to say the least-
I learn hard, so I chambered a 2 3/4 Remingtion Forster slug- not quite as severe  but more than I want to can handle easily.
If I use this light shotgun, I will surely develop a flinch, not to mention a beat up body.
 I used a bench which probably added to the felt recoil as my whole body was not in rhe best position to absorb the recoil.

Bottom line, no slugs or buckshot for me. I really do like the lightness of this gun with birdshot. I no longer need to figure out sights

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 10:23:05 AM »
You can easily add weight or a mercury recoil suppressor to the stock, that and Limbsaver recoil pad will go a long ways towards making the shotgun more user friendly, see the FAQs.

Tim

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 12:32:51 PM »
I started this topic before I reall did any field work--sorry

Yesterday I put a slip- on recoil pad on my Pardner and fired a 3 " buckshot load-- Don't do that, the recoil is bone jarring to say the least-
I learn hard, so I chambered a 2 3/4 Remingtion Forster slug- not quite as severe  but more than I want to can handle easily.
If I use this light shotgun, I will surely develop a flinch, not to mention a beat up body.
 I used a bench which probably added to the felt recoil as my whole body was not in rhe best position to absorb the recoil.

Bottom line, no slugs or buckshot for me. I really do like the lightness of this gun with birdshot. I no longer need to figure out sights

"I used a bench which probably added to the felt recoil as my whole body was not in rhe best position to absorb the recoil."

That will do it right there with a shot gun.  Try shooting standing off hand or get a lead sled . ;)

3" Buck should not be a problem.  The Pardner re-coil pads are not bad.  Limbsavers are just thicker which effects L.O.P. of course they want you to believe its their proprietaryy nano space craft nuke sub. rubber  ;).  That company has as many smoke and mirrors gizmos as any company I have ever seen.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2008, 12:45:48 PM »
Limbsavers and other sorbothane pads are excellent pads and do exactly what they say, I have well over a dozen hard kicking rifles and an 835 Ulti-mag fitted with them, they do an excellent job reducing felt recoil.  ;)

Tim

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 01:24:35 PM »
Here is a very well wrote story about re-coil for those interested   http://www.recoilsystems.com/html/articles/faq_recoil.htm

I am sure the pricey aftermarket pads do work..................especially if they are thicker  :D

I just think the honey comb pads on the Pardners & Handis work to  ;)

Lot of things involved in re-coil as the story covers well.

One thing is for sure..........shooting a shotgun from a bench & bags, one tends to have a lighter grip and different body position..........sure does add a lot more recoil then standing off hand.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2008, 01:38:11 PM »
I won't shoot my 835 from the bench, Limbsaver or not, I use a standing bipod, the 70+lbs of recoil with 2oz or 2Ľoz 3˝" turkey loads hurts, even standing, I can only shoot it 3 or 4 times and I've had enough.  :'( Fortunately, I only need to check it once a year!! :D

Tim

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »

Don't give up too quick.  I used to have a 5 Lb 8 oz Topper 12 gauge.  After getting beat up pretty bad I just started using one of the bean bags at the range draped over my shoulder.  It added about an inch or two to the LOP but mellowed out that little 12 at the range.  You don't feel it in the field that much at all.

Offline montveil

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2008, 02:38:25 PM »
OK-I'll try better padding and won't shoot from a bench,
   The couple of shots I may take during the season will be little bother BUT it's the range work the had me concerned.

Il'll ltry better padding for the" range" work.

I don't go to a range so can you explain the over the shoulder bean bag?

Thanks to everyone for their help and encouragement

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2008, 03:16:50 AM »
I don't go to a range so can you explain the over the shoulder bean bag?

The range usually has these bean bags to rest your rifle on when firing.  You use one for the stock and 2 or 3 for the fore end.  I would simply drap one over my shoulder where the butt of the shotgun could rest against the bag and not my shoulder while firing.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2008, 05:51:44 AM »
Cabelas has a recoil pad that would be perfect for just range work, or you can just get a small Limbsaver slip-on at Walmart for $20, if you're lucky to have one that sells em. :-\

Tim

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0009277221946a&type=product&cmCat=Search_Results_NYR&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=recoil+pad&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=recoil+pad&noImage=0