Author Topic: this must have been asked-solid pilot or floating pilot  (Read 4914 times)

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
this must have been asked-solid pilot or floating pilot
« on: October 11, 2007, 07:48:36 PM »
I know that Elkridge has a good reputation here, but their website isn't very informative.  Does a solid pilot make a poorer chamber in a rifle like this?  It appears that they only have this in a floating pilot.  Very little metal is coming out.......... Do I need a handle or wrench or something to turn the reamer?  Assume that I want to make a 357 Max chamber.  What do I need to know going into the transaction?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: this must have been asked-solid pilot or floating pilot
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 08:21:33 PM »
I'd go with GBO sponsor 4D, give Fred a call or email and ask him, everyone that's rented from him has been happy. ;)

Tim

http://www.4-dproducts.com/display.php?group=Pistol+Calibers
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 05:09:33 AM »
I just got finished reaming a NEF .357 Mag to MAX.  I rented the reamer from 4D.  Fred sent the reamer quick, your rental time doesn't start until you receive the reamer and ends when you send it back.  The reamer is similar to a tap, as in tap & die.  You need a tap handle that will handle a 3/8" square reamer/tap.  That was the hardest part of doing the job, finding the handle (some how mine seems to have disappeared and the kids don't have a clue where). 

Check to make sure your rifle is unloaded and remove the barrel.  You need to remove the extractor if so equipped.  If the barrel you have is the second generation extractor (see FAQ) which is what I got on my new .357 Mag barrel, you only have to remove one pin.  Punch out the pin which is closest to the chamber end of the barrel and then pull the extractor out.  There is a flat spring sitting on top of the extractor, notice which direction it is sitting, with curved side up.  Now you can ream the chamber.  I put a couple of patches in the barrel just forward of the chamber to prevent metal shavings and cutting oil from running down the barrel.  I applied cutting oil to the chamber and then inserted the reamer (the reamer Fred sent had a solid pilot) into the chamber.  I didn't feel any slop, it was a solid fit.  I turned the reamer until the shoulder on the reamer met the shoulder for the cartridge rim in the chamber, stopping a couple of times to clean the cuttings off of the reamer.  Then I cleaned the chamber and barrel and placed a dummy cartridge .357 MAX (no powder or primer, just brass and bullet) into the chamber to check that it fit.  Removed the dummy load and put the extractor back together.  Before replacing the extractor, I did polish the rough surface and edges on it and applied a little moly lube.

Overall a pretty easy experience.  The first time I removed the extractor I punched all 3 pins out.  Then I discovered that only the one pin closest to the chamber end of the barrel held the extractor in place.

If you were to order a floating pilot reamer you need to know what diameter to order.  Slugging the barrel would be the best way to determine this.

FYI: The seater plug for RCBS .38 spc, 357 mag, 357 max dies with rifle type bullets is part number 90018.

HINT: Connect a 3/8" drive socket extension to a 1/4" drive reducer.  The reamer fits in the 3/8" end and the 1/4" end goes into the tap handle!
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 12:28:41 PM »
Thanks for the informative answer.
Would you be willing to mail a single Max case to me to measure with?  I could send you some 360 DW brass to experiment with if you like. 

Tim, coincidentally, I emailed 4D and he replied:

"A 357 Maximum reamer, if you do not have a tap wrench that will handle a .4375"  then we can rent you one for $8.  Since your probably working from a 357 magnum you can use brass for headspace.  I would make up a dummy for that purpose, that way you will be sure that the loaded round will go  in the chamber.  Since its a rimmed case I normally put layout dye on the existing rim cut, when the reamer scratches the layout dye your done."

Seems like, 4D will get the hard earned $28 from me on this.  I found my tap handle.  It didn't occur to me that a tap handle would work.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 12:43:20 PM »
Most of the fellas that have hand reamed their 357s and 44s used a T-handle, but I've used a regular tap handle for throating and it worked too. ;)

Tim

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 07:23:09 PM »
bluebayou, PM sent.

When you insert the dummy round to check headspace, be sure you have cleaned out the chamber so that no filings stop the round from being fully inserted.

Tim, that looks like the same handle I used for the job.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 07:29:59 AM »
Since its a rimmed case I normally put layout dye on the existing rim cut, when the reamer scratches the layout dye your done."

So...is it possible to cut too deep with this reamer? :'(
Got:
Handi VP 22/410, 410, 20, 17M2, .223, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug

Offline aromakr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 08:04:07 AM »
Yes it is possible to go too deep, this is a standard finish reamer for the 357 Max. It can be used to chamber an un-chambered barrel, so you can certainly go too deep. The layout dye or Dykem is an excellent idea.
Bob

Offline Chas.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 09:53:50 AM »
I don't want to hijack, but is Dykem like a magic marker?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
Quote from: Chas. link=topic=128014.msg 1098995008#msg 1098995008 date=1263329630

Kinda sorta.
Its "layout dye''. You paint it on a piece of metal and scribe in your marks for machining. In cambering you can use it to "see" when the rim touches the 357MAGNUMS previously cut rim.  I use mine all the time, useful for fitting barrels and anywhere this kind of fitment is needed.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 06:08:15 AM »
how  important is it to remove the ejector ???

i mean extracor
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 07:25:53 AM »
Quote from: Chas. link=topic=128014.msg 1098995008#msg 1098995008 date=1263329630

Kinda sorta.
Its "layout dye''. You paint it on a piece of metal and scribe in your marks for machining. In cambering you can use it to "see" when the rim touches the 357MAGNUMS previously cut rim.  I use mine all the time, useful for fitting barrels and anywhere this kind of fitment is needed.

CW
"white-out" works jus as good..........in my opinion ;D

how  important is it to remove the ejector ???

i mean extracor
very important... a must do in my opinion ;)

sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 08:47:08 AM »
+1 on what Doc said!  ;)

Tim

Offline moorepower

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 03:25:26 PM »
The question you asked about a floating reamer, I do not know a gunsmith who prefers a solid pilot. A solid pilot will work, but a floating pilot allows a more precice fit to the bore of your barrel, and won't mar it when chambering, as it is not turning steel on steel. You may not see it with the naked eye, but a borescope will show you. On a handi, it is not like your chambering a $400 barrel either. :)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 07:27:49 PM »
To do you any good at all the floating pilot reamer has to have a pilot that exactly matches your bore.  We are talking about .00025 inches or less, so if it does not come with a bunch of different sized pilots then you are just as well off going with a solid one.  In a Handi rifle you will never notice any difference in either one.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 04:44:12 AM »
If possible I want a floating to fit 'zakly' (as Larry says; a smidge of room for lube and no wobble), and therein lies the problem.......if it is a tad too tight it wont fit and/or forcing will do your bore no good. I think you can send Fred a bore cast or lead slug to help him determine what you need, if you tend to be OC, otherwise do like most everyone does and get the solid and do a good job.
I warn you that when you get close to the rimseat, go much slower and do not have the rim cutter do any more than just touch the marking compound !!! Doc's recommendation of using WhiteOut is good, it is a bit thick and when you touch it you are still away from metal.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 05:10:06 AM »
Yupper, whiteout works, it's easier to see than marker when it gets covered with cutting oil!  ;D

Tim

That means to stop when the rim cutter touches the existing rim cut, if you don't, it will increase headspace. On the last one I did, I used whiteout typing correction fluid, it's real easy to when the cutter hits it.

The reamer went in the mail to cutshurt today, OSOK is next unless aflineman gets a mailing address to me,  then you're up Don.  ;)

Tim