Author Topic: Epoxy Bed Shimed Shoe For Lock Up Adjustment  (Read 6063 times)

Offline just bill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Epoxy Bed Shimed Shoe For Lock Up Adjustment
« on: October 03, 2007, 04:43:48 AM »
I though I would post this for those interested.

My original pallet wood stock had acceptable lock up and as follows accuracy.

When I ordered a laminate replacement replacement the lock up changed and was much tighter when I broke the action.  I tested the accuracy on my home 50 yard range and ultimately it was less than previous.  The culprit was the forearm as it was slightly longer than the previous one.  Through testing I found that when I replaced the original forearm the favorable accuracy was back and the lock by feel and observation when I broke the action noticeably different.

I cut it off my new laminate forearm to match.  Now the action upon break was noticeably looser than original as it flopped open passed the ejectors with ease.  Accuracy testing on the range show "less than original still".  I then began the shim behind the plastic shoe on the forearm and test for lock up feel and accuracy process on the range.  I used alum. foil but standard auto shims cut would also work. 

After some trial and adjustments I had brought the lock up back similar to where it was and my accuracy was back.  Note: In my tinkering with the Handi rifle nothing effected accuracy as much.

Here is what I wanted to share.  With my shims where I needed them for finalizing I epoxy bedded the shoe back in place with the shims.  The epoxy seeped out the sides and I was able to neatly wipe and create a bead as with caulk before it set.  This did two favorable things.  1) It made a more permanent fixture of my "handi" work. 2) It perfectly squared my non perfect cut of the forearm with the shoe by filling the micro gaps and squaring all with a hard reliable substance once hardened.  As a note my original Handi forearm does not match the shoe perfectly either.

Here is the photo of the bedded shimmed shoe in place.  It has been approximately 9 months to a year and I couldn't be happier.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/Bill1227/IMG_1975.jpg

Some know measurements for proper lock up.  I had to go the trial and error route though the home rifle range helped home range helped.  By feel of lock up and testing I found the following.  With the rifle held horizontally origianlly if I eased and broke the action with little to no support the barrel would drop to the ejector engagement point and often stop.  The new laminante forearm same process it was much tighter and would not reach the ejector engagement point.  After cutting the forearm and doing the same the barrel would flop open quite easily past the ejector engagement point every time.  After installing shims and regaining accuracy doing the same the barrel drops to the ejector engagement and stops most but not all times.  It does not just flop open.

While in gun shops now I occasionally handle a Handi and do similar.  As a note while some ease to that point and hold others flop open readily.  I can't remember feeling one as tight as my replacement off a rack in a shop.  For what it's worth my Partner shotgun is similar and often comes to rest at the ejector engagement.  As I remember accuracy was at it's worst on the Handi overly tight, a bit better loose and ideal where it is now and originally in my case.

Previously with the correct lock up and accuracy I had also experimented with various forearm pressure points and temporary floats both from a tweaking of accuracy P.O.V. and as a varmint hunter concerned with first shot p.o.i. , consistency, etc.
The ultimate upward pressure point set may have produced some of my best groups.  Had I been primarly a bench shooter whom could adjust p.o.i. prior or lived a dryer climent,  I may have left it.  But, for me in my humid summer enviroment when I hunt Woodchucks the most, ultimately I had p.o.i. changes which were gratefully noted on the home range testing now and then.  Furthermore,  while hunting varmints I shoot from shooting sticks most often which places the forearm just behind the sling stud on the wooden sticks.  With the acompanyment of the sticks my p.o.i. was further changed as compared to bench zero.

My final decision for what I do was a permanent forearm free float from the stud forward.  By permanent I mean I dowel sanded it out further along with adding the O ring. My p.o.i. is consistent and acceptable. I have tested many groups from off my shooting sticks and p.o.i. is also acceptable from them as there is little to no change now. This final change was also 9-12 months ago and I could not be happier for what I do and with.

My barrel also has no movement side to side when applied with hand pressure from the muzzle.  At times during the above adjustments it did.

Here is a rough picture of the forearm end which has been carefully dowel sanded out to relieve along with the  O ring added.  I have checked it with folded bills through seasons of change now and it remains free from the stud forward.  Obviously the laminate helps prevent swelling also.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/Bill1227/IMG_1985.jpg

Also for those interested as I have been asked several times prior.  I did not care for the length of pull on my little hornet rifle and certainly did not need the large rubber recoil pad.  Through help on this board "quick" sent me a link to Brownells whom carry an H & R buttstock.  As I remember it was just 5-6 bucks and they had it to me with in the week.  A simple outline pattern and minutes on a bench grinder was all it took to fit well and I am much more happy with it, particularly the length of pull which took off about 1/2" as I remember.  I found I had a hollow sound thanks to the butt stock bolt hole when tapped which anoyed me.  A simple cut piece of rag which can be removed with needle nose pliars solved that.

You can see the butt plate in these photos fairly well.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/Bill1227/IMG_1566.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/Bill1227/IMG_1641.jpg

Last,  here is a average (not best) 50 yard 5 shot group target with my reloads.  It includes the all important "first shot cold barrel". Handi 22 Hornet,bags,12x,reloads.  In low wind it carries the sub moa accuracy to 100 yards.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/Bill1227/IMG_1751.jpg

Regards,
just bill

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
Re: Epoxy Bed Shimed Shoe For Lock Up Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 05:00:45 AM »
Thanks for the info.
Some new Ideas and backing up some old theories too.
Glad you got it to shoot.
The fore end is key to accuracy on any rifle with a two piece stock.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Epoxy Bed Shimed Shoe For Lock Up Adjustment
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 05:47:38 AM »
Thanks, good info for the FAQs!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain