Author Topic: Thumbhole stock  (Read 2953 times)

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
Thumbhole stock
« on: October 02, 2007, 07:14:57 AM »
I just got a call from the very nice lady at H&R 1871/NEF.  They just got in some of the Camo Laminate Thumbhole stocks.  On my last barrel order I asked/ordered a set of the Camo Laminate Thumbhole stocks.  When I got my order (actually during one of the phone calls) I was told that they didn't have any.  I was asked if I wanted to order one when they came in.  I said "Yes I would".  So I got a call minutes ago to verify the order.  Total price for stock, forend and shipping is $122.50.  She said my call was the first of a stack of people she had to call to let them know the stocks are in.

;D    ;D    ;D

Now don't you all give the nice lady a call and flood their phone lines this afternoon.  Let her get mine to the shipping department first.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Thumbhole stock
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 07:32:34 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, I'm sure what they have in stock won't last long!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 01:18:20 PM »
I ordered mine today. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 04:17:33 AM »
How does the thumbhole stock handle when not being gripped down through the thumbhole?  Im talking about letting down the hammer and opening the release lever.  Does it still fit your hand well?  I find that my Ultra laminate stocks fit my hand so well, and my thumb is right up there near all the moving parts.  I didn't like my old choate varmint stock for just that reason, it seemed that I had to move my whole hand too much to get my thumb up near the business end.
Does the thumbhole stock really make the handi rifle more functional?  With the location of the hammer and release lever, It just seems to me like the proverbial "screen door on a submarine".

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 04:33:40 AM »
I'll let you know when I get it.  I like the looks.  I took your Choate varmint stock p-dog shooting and thought that it did very good.  I didn't notice it being awkward to use.  The added weight of the forend and bipod kept the .223 pretty much on target at the shot letting me see hits and misses.  I also hold the forend when using the bipod.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 05:52:42 AM »
I've had both of mine to the range several times and never once noticed an issue with operating the hammer or barrel release, my fingers are always on the front of the grip and it's not a problem. Someone with small hands or short fingers may have an issue, but I doubt most men will, IMO. ;) My wife has small hands, maybe I can get a couple pics later when she's "handi"!!! ;D

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 07:40:17 AM »
The thumbhole butt stocks are now listed on the Accessory Barrel page at H&R, $90.

Tim

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 08:33:06 AM »
Now why didn't they list the forends on their website?  It would have made sense.  Also, as I was scanning through the page it appears that prices have gone up.  But it has been a while since I have ordered any and they may have been changed before now. 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 08:46:45 AM »
My thoughts exactly!! They never put the H&R store back online either.  ::) There's a topic down the page "Did I miss something" on the minor price increases, to be expected tho with the fuel cost increases, I'm surprised they didn't go up more.

Tim

Offline jacksrbtr46

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
  • H&R 45-70 SS Ultra Hunter, H&R 45-70 Lam Straight
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 11:32:19 AM »
With my hand size I have no issues with cocking or the releasing of the hammer, nor breaking it open on my Ultra Hunter 45-70 with the Cinn thumbhole stock.  Hand size might depend on your difficulty of operating the hammer/ breaking the gun open.

The Cama Lamo thumbhole butt stock that I ordered was $101.92 shipped to me in Shreveport, Louisiana.  Still waiting for the forend.

Jack
Aim small, miss small....                                      

When life throws you a curve, you learn to swerve...

Yesterday is a memory....
Today is the reality,....
Make the most of it....