Author Topic: Won't latch?  (Read 5454 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Won't latch?
« on: July 21, 2007, 05:42:21 PM »
I just painted the first coat of paint on my Handi. Now it won't latch. Why?
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Won't latch?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 05:57:31 PM »
God is punishing you for putting paint on a rifle, everyone know they have to be Blued or Parkerized.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 06:05:53 PM »
Thanks Larry!!!!!
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline ~Ace~

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 06:10:33 PM »
Obviously you got paint somewhere you should not have got paint... Only a few places that could so it...

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 06:12:59 PM »
When I push the break button it still operates. The thing is prior to painting it closed tight and locked up tight. Now when I close it I can see space between the receiver and the barrel. I know it was not like that prior to painting. It is like something is keeping it from closing all the way.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 06:26:49 PM »
Please help me out here guys. I am pulling my hair out. I would think I could put the receiver in paint remover with out doing damage to it. Am I right on that any way?

Offline cascadedad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 07:16:06 PM »
First, reread Ace's post.

I would try closing it hard a few times and then disassemble the gun to see where the paint is interfering.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 07:21:59 PM »
Thanks. Been there done that. Can't seem to find the problem. I just know it did not exist before painting.         Dale

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 07:30:36 PM »
Could be that if you take it off the stock, put it in your pocket and take it to Church tomorrow morning and promise to never paint another rifle in your young life that it will then close for you.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 07:47:12 PM »

Be nice Larry... :D :D

Dale...remove any paint you have on the breech end of the chamber of the barrel and on the breech face of the receiver...Also...remove any paint you might have got on the area where the plastic spacer meets the receiver...including the small notch towards the top where the edge of the forearm spacer stops against the receiver.. These areas shouldn't be painted...How thick did you spray it?

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 05:28:39 AM »
Thanks Mac. I did what you said. I went to the hardware store this morning and bought some paint remover. I then stripped the whole barrel including where I got paint in the breech. It locks up tight as a drum now.        Dale

Offline ~Ace~

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 05:52:10 AM »
Either that thing is To Tight, or your using WAY to much paint.

Offline RWK

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 05:57:39 AM »
Dip it a can of paint remover. Rich

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 06:13:23 AM »
Either that thing is To Tight, or your using WAY to much paint.

There's no such thing as too tight if the barrel is fitted properly, zero clearance at the receiver is desirable, any paint may be too much, specially between the barrel face and standing breech!! Dale isn't the first one to learn this, it's happened before. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 06:20:22 AM »
Thanks Mac. I did what you said. I went to the hardware store this morning and bought some paint remover. I then stripped the whole barrel including where I got paint in the breech. It locks up tight as a drum now.        Dale

Your Welcome

Glad it was something simple ;)

Mac

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2007, 06:56:07 AM »
Tim Said, "Dale isn't the first one to learn this, it's happened before."

Ok, for the less experienced ones like myself, would removing the paint with 000 steel wool, from the barrel face & standing breech have solved the latching problem?

Bill

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 07:03:28 AM »
Yes, I think it would, but if I were doing it, I'd just not get the paint in those places, either by taping them off and painting the parts in pieces, or making sure I didn't hit those places too heavy with the gun assembled. I've not painted a Handi, but I did paint a break barrel Stoeger shotgun for turkey hunting, didn't have any problems painted as a whole gun, but I didn't shoot the paint on real heavy near the breech and frame area, rather put several light coats on. ;)

Tim

Offline goodwrench6710

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 07:12:06 AM »
Mask up the areas you don't want paint. Use very light coats, it's not like your painting a battleship to protect it from the sea! Good luck Dale.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2007, 07:21:44 AM »

A q-tip saturated in cooking oil or any other non-drying type oil will suffice too...Just put it on the areas that you don't want paint to stick...Using a q-tip allows you to paint the area with the oil well enough to protect it from getting it on it...and you can wipe it right off.....I have painted a bunch of rifles and scopes before...none of my Handi's though...and I never had any problems with them...

Mac

Offline BANG_OW

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2007, 08:45:28 AM »
At least you didn't paint it shut. The ultimate single shot rifle!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2007, 08:47:59 AM »
I loctited one shut once, fortunately it was blue loctite and broke loose after a little effort. When loctite bedding a scope rail, be sure to not let it run down tween barrel and frame!! ::)

Tim

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2007, 10:22:25 AM »

A q-tip saturated in cooking oil or any other non-drying type oil will suffice too...Just put it on the areas that you don't want paint to stick...Using a q-tip allows you to paint the area with the oil well enough to protect it from getting it on it...and you can wipe it right off.....I have painted a bunch of rifles and scopes before...none of my Handi's though...and I never had any problems with them...

Mac

I did a similar thing on a steel scope I had years ago. The outside was quite rusty, but the optics were fine, so I sanded away the remaining bluing (and rust) and gave it a coat of flat black paint. I used a Q-tip with vaseline and smeared it on the lenses and blasted away... worked fine, and the vaseline cleaned up easily with clean rags dipped in Birchwood Casey degreaser.

Have used the same trick to fill oversized holes - like the one's in a pallet wood stock that sometimes get bigger because you take the butt plate off to get at the stock bolt and remove it from a frame just one too many times :P - fill the screw holes with sawdust mixed with wood glue or epoxy, smear some vaseline on the back of the stock, and on the screws, then screw them into the holes. (I chose not to put the butt plate on at this stage - just in case. :o Though if you are feeling confident you could smear grease/vaseline on the bottom of the stock, and butt plate and screw it all down until the sawdust mixtue sets.)

Wipe off any of the sawdust mixture that gets squeezed out after the screws are in, and wait. When the mixture has set (no harm in letting it go overnight), back out the screws and "voila" nice custom fitted screw holes. Important note... fill the holes with the sawdust mixture FIRST before even opening the jar of vaseline (or whatever grease you choose)! If you get ANY in a hole, the mixture will not hold and you will have just created a new project! ::)

If that sounds like learning from experience... I'll let you make up your own mind   ;D
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2007, 10:44:55 AM »
Kerry,

I added your post to the FAQs as a repair for stipped butt pad holes, thanks!

This entire thread is also in the FAQs with the other two stock painting links. I couldn't find the other thread where the barrel wouldn't fit after painting, maybe after the search feature is working, I'll add it.

Good work fellas, thanks!!

Tim

Offline pills

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2007, 06:48:29 PM »
That was probably mine on my old 20 gauge. I painted the barrel and had too much paint on the front of the lug. For the record I used Krylon BBQ grill paint and it worked like a champ.
...You do not open your mouth without all the facts period...

Matt

Remember this, my dear brothers and sisters: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and should not get angry easily. James 1:19