Author Topic: Build a Travel Handi  (Read 4113 times)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Build a Travel Handi
« on: June 30, 2007, 06:38:36 PM »
Guess this is what happens when you get bored.  I travel on business quite a lot, some times for extended periods of time, to desert test sights.  Anyone who is in the testing business will tell you that most of your time is spent waiting, sometimes for weeks.  Most of these places are in gun friendly states, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, and all have lots of open spaces.  I have finally built up the ultimate travel rifle, fits in a lockable briefcase to satisfy the airlines for checked baggage and not freak out the Hotel guests when you carry it to your room.  I am sure there are lots of ways to do this, I sized this rifle especially for this case.  Barrel is 18 3/4 long, and the stock is trimmed a little and rounded at the top to help fit the case.  You can probably tell what the other parts are.  Cleaning patches fit in the pockets in the lid.  The rifle is a 30 Carbine.  Larry

A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Build a Travel Handi
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 06:51:56 PM »
That looks nice an tidy, good work!! How close does it maintain zero with the Burris rings?

Thx,

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 06:56:55 PM »
Sorry to say I haven't shot it yet, this week I hope, I will take the scope on and off a few times to see how it holds zero, but I think it will be in the ball park for a short range calling rifle.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 06:57:59 PM »
Very cool!!!!! :o
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 07:14:44 PM »
That is sweet.  I was thinking about getting the youth stock for a similar idea.  I want one that I can carry in a backpack or pool cue kind of case. 

Nice idea with the foam.

I bet you still raise some eyebrows at the checkin counter. 

I remember making a few Enterprise Rent a Car people upset/anxious when I stacked a planner, notepad, and pistol rug together on the counter while digging out my wallet. 

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 07:25:10 PM »
Traveling with anything that resembles a gun these days is a tough.  At the check in counter you will be asked to show them the gun is unloaded, so if you can, put the barrel on top so that you can show them there is not a round in the chamber without taking it all out of the packing, Taking lots of gun parts out of a case kind of freaks out the other people standing in line behind you.  If it is in a locked hard sided case you can then put it in another suitcase that is not hard sided, or ship it the way it is.  Read the rules, it is not as hard to do as you would think.  Just do not go through any airport that is in a state that does not premit the kind of weapon you are shipping.  Larry

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 11:38:57 PM »
That is a very cool idea!! I have an old 12ga H&R that is a take down model. I am unsure if they ever used that frame for a rifle caliber, but if so it would be IDEAL!!! I have been watching for one for years. I have run across a couple other shotguns, but haven't seen a rifle yet.

I chopped the barrel to 18.5" and when dissassembled the barrel and stock/receiver are the same legnth. I have brought it camping since forever as well as many a "trip".  ::)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (81)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 02:17:13 AM »
Larry, that's your stub project, isn't it? And the barrel band for the forearm attachment is custom made, right? A nice gun and a great idea. Also the old H&R by CW has that deadly antique look to it, but I bet the recoil is a "little stout". Hunman55

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 04:57:00 AM »
Looks good Larry. Do you have a picture of it assembled? We'll halfta start callin' ya "Larry, The Hit Man". Is that one of those bed liner stocks?
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 06:04:41 AM »
It is a bedliner stock, I did belt sand the sides of the stock to make it a little thinner for a better fit, this is the thing assembled.  Larry

Offline capnduane

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 08:02:14 AM »
This is my 270 Synthetic with a accessory 22in 20ga bbl. Case measures 25x13x5ins, closed. Hope to make a trip to Kentucky this year for Whitetail and ?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 08:15:23 AM »
Here's my version of a travel Handi, it's in a Winchester break down shotgun case, fits in the rear underdeck cargo compartment in my Rav4. I keep some silca gel packets in with the rifle to keep it dry, this time of year, it's there all the time so it's "handi" to shoot graydiggers along the Klickitat river when we're steelhead/salmon fishing. ;)

Tim

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 01:23:20 PM »
OK Tim, you got me on that one, please tell this old New Englander what a "graydigger" is....<><....:)?
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 01:46:49 PM »

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 02:33:35 PM »
quickdtoo:  What kind of a Squrrel is this?  Larry

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2007, 02:53:28 PM »
He's kin to this one, the kind you don't wanta mess with!! ;D

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2007, 03:05:24 PM »
Thanks Tim, another bit of information to add to the file....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 10:46:31 PM »
I SEEN A SQUIRREL BUT LOOKED LIKE WONDER WOMAN COULD NOT DROP THE HAMMER ON IT. MOST OF THEM COME OUT AT NIGHT. ;D

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 05:19:26 PM »
Pictures aren't there.  Tried firefox and explorer.  No pictures, just little red X...

Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline 3leggedturtle

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 09:05:55 PM »
A .30 Carbine  :o   Are You kidding me. Not accurate enough for varmints and not powerful for large yotes.  What good is it  ;D   Probably alot more fun than a 22 LR or Hornet.  Thought I was only one thinking about a Handi in that caliber.   The brass lasts forever. Along with a pound of powder too.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 11:03:36 PM »
He's kin to this one, the kind you don't wanta mess with!! ;D

TIM,
 Thats some funny stuffright there....

3LT,
Your kidding right?... I mean I am not a huge fan of this caliber in a handi. But not in my thinking of its ballistics... It would make a NICE "modern "pot gun" caliber just as the 25-20 and 32-20 where so many years ago...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 03:47:43 AM »
Pictures aren't there.  Tried firefox and explorer.  No pictures, just little red X...

The OPs of the missing pics will have to fix them.

Tim