Author Topic: I did it ! sawed off the synthetic stock  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Country Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
I did it ! sawed off the synthetic stock
« on: June 22, 2007, 04:40:01 PM »
  I'm not handy with tools but I needed to shorten the stock from 14 1/4 to 13 1-2. You guys gave me some tips and after much hesitation, shortened it this morning. Turned out pretty decent, you can see some file and sand marks but every thing fits . My one mistake was to shorten the screws too much, forgot to allow for the thickness of the recoil pad plate. Off to the range again to see how this affected my sighting in and recoil. ( I was so supprised how little recoil this rifle had with factory loads) ;D

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: I did it ! sawed off the synthetic stock
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 04:54:32 PM »

Good Going:

Post some pics after you get in your range time and tell us how it worked out...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 05:39:50 PM »
I shortened a synthetic on a Savage bolt, but never even HAD a Handi in synthetic.  I never shortened the screws but the stocks might be different.  I did have to get a new recoil pad, the old one wouldn't work at all.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 05:48:35 PM »
Don't scope yourself, by cutting the stock off, you moved the scope closer to your eye, that could be mighty embarrassing and painful!! :o

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 07:20:29 PM »
Like Tim said. I hope you did not shorten a 45-70   500  or a 450 Marlin. that could hurt. ::) :o :o
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 09:01:11 AM »
It was a 45-70 and after the work it fits perfectly. I have a clear view of the scope eyebox. So I'm going to try as is. I can still move the scope forward about an inch if need be. But it kicked so little with factory loads I don't think it will be a problem.
    The recoil slipped back in without any inside triming. The screw problem was on the bottom by the stud, not much there after shorting 3/4 inch. I'm sorry but I don't have any nor do I know how to post pictures. That's too bad as I have some dandy bears and hogs I would like to show off. I can send them from my e-mail to some ones else e-mail. If they could post them.
     I'm afraid I won't be able to shoot untill next week ,maybe, the wife and I are headed for Branson, Mo. tomorrow.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 09:14:53 AM »
Send the pics to me, I'll post em with your post.....but it's not hard if you have the pics saved on your PC, just hit the "Additional Options" below the post window and "browse" your PC to find them, click the pic you want to post and it enter the pic location in the "Attach" window. You can attach up to 6 pics, max size is 1024kb, if the pics are too big, you'll have to reduce them.

Tim

Offline merhunts

• Hunt like your hungry
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 10:49:34 AM »
Don't scope yourself, by cutting the stock off, you moved the scope closer to your eye, that could be mighty embarrassing and painful!! :o

Tim

This happened to me one time I had TC renegade ML 54 Cal with a hair trigger. I bumped the trigger before I was set up and walked away with a nasty cut under my eye and a black eye later on. The guys at work told me I should learn to leave my wife alone. HA HA HA
You can't kill 'em if you ain't in the woods.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 12:50:10 PM »
I've never scoped myself yet, but I've knocked my hat off a couple times, that's bad enough!! :-[

Tim