Author Topic: Whats it worth, 35 Whelen barrel  (Read 1620 times)

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Whats it worth, 35 Whelen barrel
« on: June 11, 2007, 05:53:40 AM »
I am finally getting back to my guns.  I called HR and they are still willing to replace my barrel that is not reliable.  Then, I started thinking, someone may want a whelen barrel as a project.  I know its not worth too much to me, except as replacement fodder for another barrel from HR.  They are willing to replace with a 24" bull 243, no fitting fee.

Would some consider it a party foul to send this barrel off to HR for possible destruction?? 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Whats it worth, 35 Whelen barrel
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 06:01:08 AM »
Offer it in the Classifieds to see what it's worth to someone, if you can't get the money to buy the barrel you want including shipping both ways and fitting, return it to H&R. I think if it was mine and I couldn't get it to work with my handloads, I'd have the chamber cut to improved, then I know I could make it work well!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 06:05:14 AM »
can you tell me what the 35 whelen compares to i can find 35 rem on charts but not the whelen,
can you buy ammo or have to reload?
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 06:13:21 AM »
35 Whelen ammo is made by Remington is 2 flavors, and Federal is re-entering the market with their 225gr TBBC load. There are custom$$ ammo makers that offer it like Conley also. You can see 35 Whelen data at Hodgdon's page.

Tim

http://www.cpcartridge.com/35whelen-P.htm

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 06:34:10 AM »
I think if it was mine and I couldn't get it to work with my handloads, I'd have the chamber cut to improved, then I know I could make it work well!!

Tim

I wish I shared your confidence, and had your time   8)

This is a tough decision for me because I have been wanting a whelen for a long time, hoping HR would bring them back, and when they finally offered it again, I did my part and bought their product.  I know it will be a long time before I get a whelen again, if ever.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 06:43:51 AM »
Loading into the lands may not be enough to keep the firing pin from pushing the round ahead at impact resulting in a light strike. Forming a false shoulder as I outline in the FAQs should work tho.....but that does require more handloading time and a .375" expander. If you want, I can send you some Whelen brass at cost that's been expanded, then you can neck size it so it fits your chamber, then try em to see how they work. ;)

Tim

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 08:12:47 AM »
thanks for the offer Tim.  I just dont have enough time for more science projects now, I have enough "normal" reloading investigations to keep me occupied in this hobby.  I found myself spending too much time on the whelen and leaving the other possibilities untouched.  Who knows, maybe I will pursue the 445sm now.  I am going to get the 25-06 while the gun is at the factory, so thats yet another chapter of studies available for me.

Most likely, I will hang onto the dies and brass for some potential use in the future.  You never know ...

You know what, I think I was more of a "fulfilled reloader" when I just loaded for the 30-06.   ???

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 04:01:42 AM »
baja

go for that 445.  I have had mine about six months now and have just started to really get it going.  I have had a little more time recently to play with it.  It is one outrageous gun in my opinion.  I can load mine pretty light or really heavy and they all shoot accurately.  The heavier I load, the better it shoots.  I have been shooting with open sights and put a shotgun scope on it last night.  Interested to see how that effects my shooting. 

Bottom line, you will love it.  I haven't heard anyone that has one say a negative word about it.

Offline James B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 01:08:27 PM »
Who does a good job on the 44 Mag to 445 SM conversion? I would like to get mine done as well.
shot placement is everything.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 01:25:50 PM »
Most have done their own, it's not much to ream. You can rent a reamer from Fred at 4D, a GBO sponsor.

http://www.4-dproducts.com/display.php?group=Pistol+Calibers&PHPSESSID=23dcf6f25991444f4ac2cc84f0f18c93

If you want to have it done by a gunsmith, Wayne York of Oregunsmithing does mine and does good work. ;)

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eoregunsmithing/index.html

Tim

Offline James B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 01:45:11 PM »
Sounds good. I am afraid of anything that has more that one part ;D
shot placement is everything.

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 03:02:47 PM »
Is Jeff still around?
I used his 445 reamer back in 2005.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 12:10:19 AM »
Thanks, Tim.
I read that thread since you answered me, don't know how I missed your answer.

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 06:52:50 AM »
the whelen is on its way to HR.  While there Im getting a 25-06 and the 243, I may make a phone call next week and add the 500sw to the list.

I got the whelen and the 44mag together, and the whelen has taken my energy from the 44.  I havent even punched a box of factory ammo thru the 44 and certainly have not made a round for it.  I have been spending my time with loading to the lands, and pulling triggers just to fire form cases, and was at about 50% success with that task.

I was told by someone here that one ex member of GGO with a 445 reamer hangs out at castboolits dot com.  I actually think the person Im thinking of had some head separation issues with the 445sm.  I may have to look into my archives someday.

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 06:21:02 AM »
Just to tie it all together,

I am back in the 35 whelen game, but not with an HR product.

I bought an Addams and Bennett barrel for my 30-06 Savage.  Then I spent a fun filled week building a vise to hold the gun to break the factory installed barrel nut and swapped the barrel.  Dusted off the dies and components for the Whelen, this time I bought some RL15, and 4 of 4 shots fired.  Results were much better this time around, too bad its a year later.  But, maybe it was a blessing in disguise, I now have the 25-06, and have another barrel changing platform to feed my obsession.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 09:29:02 AM »
Thanks for the update Bill!! ;)

Tim