Author Topic: Handi 243 got a new look.  (Read 6648 times)

Offline statelinerut

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Handi 243 got a new look.
« on: May 11, 2007, 03:07:19 PM »
If you remember I started this project about this time last year and I finally got around to getting it finished. I did tons of reading and looking at pics to find a method and pattern I felt comfortable with. And here is the finished product. I like it.

"For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:6

"Upon a life I did not live, upon a death I did not die; anothers life, anothers death, I stake my whole eternity." Horatius Bonar

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Handi 243 got a new look.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 03:18:47 PM »
state

You did good , i like the full camo .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 03:21:29 PM »
How did you do that!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o  I just recently thought of doing something like that. I am amazed. This to me is art work. Please try to explain in detail what paint you used and the technique. If you could give a shove in the right direction that would even be a help. Great work. ;D ;D ;D ;D
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 03:21:59 PM »
Looks great, nice work!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 03:37:56 PM »
Paint on a gun?  Why didn't you just paint it pink!  Painting a rifle is just plain wrong.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline statelinerut

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 03:48:29 PM »
How did you do that!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o  I just recently thought of doing something like that. I am amazed. This to me is art work. Please try to explain in detail what paint you used and the technique. If you could give a shove in the right direction that would even be a help. Great work. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Here goes. I will explain as well as I know how. It is really easy, so do not be afraid to jump in and get with it.

1. I went to Walmart and bought the Krylon Camo brand in primer, tan, olive, brown, and matte finish clear coat. It is on the same shelves as the other spray paints are.

2. Take and wipe the gun down real good with rubbing alcohol. This will rid the surface of any oil residue from cleaning and handling. Take the recoil pad off, and tape off anything you do not want painted. The only thing I taped off was the number dials on the scope ans used a razor blade to cut for a clean straight line.

3. Take and hang to rifle from the trigger guard with some heavy gauge wire or string. Get the primer and paint the whole rifle. Now this is where you can mess up. Here is the way I spray. Take and start the spray off the gun and run the whole length without stopping any where on the gun. This will eliminate any running or over spray in one area. Do this until the whole gun has a fine coat on it. It may take several coats to get it completely covered. Just remember do not rush as to cause any runs. Let it hang for about 1 hour after the last coat is on.

4. Next, paint the whole rifle in the tan color the same way you did the primer. Let dry for about an hour.

5. Go find you a fur tree and cut a sprig off about 8 inches or so to use as your template.

6. Lay the sprig where you want it and use the olive and brown to spray swaths over the fur sprig all over the gun. You want to spray enough   just to give the outline of the template. Let it dry for about 30 minutes and turn over and do the other side. After you have fished the pattern to your liking.

7. Take and hang the rifle back on the wire and spray a good coat of clear coat. And your done.

Now if you have the wood stock you will want to take a fine sand paper and knock the finish off to where the paint will take hold.
"For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:6

"Upon a life I did not live, upon a death I did not die; anothers life, anothers death, I stake my whole eternity." Horatius Bonar

Offline statelinerut

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 03:51:37 PM »
Paint on a gun?  Why didn't you just paint it pink!  Painting a rifle is just plain wrong.  Larry

Well that didn't take long. I would have painted it pink Larry, but my wife would want to take all the time ;D

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 04:06:23 PM »
Looks like the perfect treestand gun. Nothing wrong with that at all.
                                                                                               Jay
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline Coffee_Boy

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 05:00:28 PM »
The thing is that the color black rarely occurs in nature.  So moving something black around in the woods is bound to be an irritant.  Some critters have sharper eyes than others.

Not sure about pink, but I can't imagine it's a big favorite, either.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 05:05:33 PM »
Animals only see black, white and curtain shades of Grey. It would not matter if it was florisent pink it would probably look Grey to them.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Nightstalker6117

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 05:13:35 PM »
stateline...   WOW!!!!!!  I saw that gun on another site when it was OD green. I liked it then but man have you done one hell of a job. You have talent I am planning on painting mine and hope that it comes out close to that. The colors that you used would be great for my farm. Man I love that paint job. Killer!!!!!!    ...   i do have a question though. When you painted the gun did you have a problem with the moving parts (hammer,breach release) sticking . Do you recommend oiling these places prior to painting to aid in the paint not sticking in areas that you dont want. That may sound stupid but I have never painting a gun before and as always some times it is better to ask to help things o smooth.  Once again KILLER!!!!!!
NEF 25-06 3x9x40 Bushy
Support the men and women that risk their lives for your rights

Offline statelinerut

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 05:20:02 PM »
Thanks for the kind words nightstalker, and I am impressed with your great memory ;) I have not had a problem with anything due to the paint, but if you are concerned about an area just tape it up. Do not oil it, because the paint will not attach to an oily surface. The thing about painting a gun is that you really cannot mess up if you take your time and know what you want before you start. Good luck, you will do just fine.

Offline v8r

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 06:33:31 PM »
Stateline that is one killer camo job.I recently painted the plastic stock and forearm on my sporster with the od green krylon camo fusion paint,and really was pleased with that paint.I tried to camo it in a millitary pattern, and goofed it up........so I figured I'll put the stocks in the sand blast cabinet and blast the paint off.Sandblasting will just about not take the paint off!!! Guys If you want to paint a plastic stock,the fusion paint is where it's at.
V8r's Handi collection.
H&R Ultra Varmint .223
H&R Topper 158 .22 Hornet
H&R Classic Carbine .45 LC
NEF  .357 magnum
H&R "Golden Buffalo" Buffalo Classic 45-70
NEF Pardner !2 Gauge

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 06:40:34 PM »
Animals only see black, white and curtain shades of Grey. It would not matter if it was florisent pink it would probably look Grey to them.

It's not always the color but mostly outline masking.  It's a cool looking job.  It's wouldn't work as well in the desert, but still very nice.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline flitz

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 01:02:20 AM »
state

great job state..one nice thing about paint.if you mess up it is easy to fix.besides the stocks
are cheap.i want to redo my o/u stock with tru-oil.even thou i do this every day i havent
started yet.maybe after the clay league is over.look forward to seeing more.sa far as paint
on a stock there are rigs out there that cost 10 times the price of a handi that are
painted.glad you went for it.

flitz
TO THE HUNT

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2007, 01:52:10 AM »
very good job , iam impressed :o :o

Offline cpj

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2007, 05:15:42 AM »
Where is it? ;D

I like it.

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2007, 06:50:37 AM »
As much as I love a quality wood stock, that rifle looks great!!  ;)
Why not spruce up a handi---you can always get another stock relatively cheaply.

That's a great camo job that should prove well in the deer woods or varmint hunting

Again, great job -- it's easy to see that you were patient and the job was well thought out
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline alien319

• Avid Poster
  • NRA Member
    • East Carolina Predator Hunting Forum
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2007, 05:11:10 PM »
That is one of the best looking Hindi's I have seen! Awesome job!! I am looking for a Handi myself.  Have always wanted a 7mm-08. heard it is a great round.  I might just have to paint my rifle like that!

Brent
When an Army captain asked him for the direction of the line of retreat, Col Puller called his Tank Commander, gave them the Army position, and ordered: "If they start to pull back from that line, even one foot, I want you to open fire on them."
Turning to the captain, he replied "Does that answer your question?
We're here to fight."
- Chesty Puller at Koto-ri in Korea

Win. Model 94 .30-30, Lakefield Arms MkII .22LR, Mossberg 500 12GA, Ruger P345 .45ACP, Remington 700 .308/McMA4 stock, 1932 Mosin Nagant

USMC-'03-Present

Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2007, 08:12:20 PM »
....Painting a rifle is just plain wrong....
People seem to forget that a rifle is just a tool. And if painting it makes it a more useful tool for its purpose, then paint the hell out of it. I even like bright orange and yellow stocks. I once had three girls shooting at the range with me, and I should of thought of painting their Handi 357 Mag pink for them. In fact, any bright color might help hold  the interest of the younger shooters better.

Statelinerut: I have seen many camo jobs, but I think this is the best ever. Thanks for sharing.
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2007, 02:33:39 AM »
State -- outstanding job! I really love it! Thank you for posting your method.

Flitz -- I have used Tru-oil for years, but recently someone suggested Minwax Antique Oil. Comes in a quart can. It was on sale at Farm Fleet a couple weeks ago, so I tried it. Did an NEF shotgun stock and forearm with it, and I gotta say it's great. It's very thin, and dries quickly. I always thin Tru-oil one-to-one with mineral spirits, but this stuff is good right out of the can. Apply it just like Tru-oil -- use little dabs with your finger and rub it in. Will even go over Tru-oil, but requires more drying time. Seems to dry harder than Tru-oil -- there may be some poly in it. It's worth a try.
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline superjay01

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2007, 05:42:13 AM »
Wow, what a great looking gun. I have never seen a camo job done that well before. Makes me wanna try it out on one of my guns.
Chance favors the prepared mind

Offline J. Plate

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2007, 04:08:20 PM »

Whoa, whoa, whoa.....let's not just make blanket statements here.   Not ALL animals see only  in grayscale!!  LOL!   Many game animals see the full spectrum that we see....and some even more of it.    Many birds (turkeys, ducks, geese) can see a much wider range of colors than even we can. 

The thing is that the color black rarely occurs in nature.

The color black is everywhere in nature, but only when the sun's out.   They're called shadows.  And everything out there casts one in the sunlight.   Black is a very important part of certain camouflage situations.

The gun looks great.    Keep up the good work and thanks for the directions. 

Offline statelinerut

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2007, 04:15:30 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys. I hope to be posing with next to a couple coyotes come calling time. I just hope I dont set it down anywhere and not be able to find it ;D

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2007, 10:39:35 AM »
I once had three girls shooting at the range with me,

three at the same time !!!!!!! your my new hero! pink you say ??? ok i'll do it.

sweet looking gun dude i love it
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2007, 04:26:52 PM »

Especially if the Buck is walking funny & grunts with a lisp.  :o  Nay, I think it would be a safer bet where I hunt to just use camo.

State
Very good job!!!!
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.