Author Topic: Did a little trading!  (Read 1986 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Did a little trading!
« on: April 09, 2007, 07:17:22 PM »
Did a little trading with Tallyho, he wanted his  30-30 Topper 158 back real bad, made me an offer I couldn't refuse, a late model SB2 frame and a set of gray lams, even up! I got the frame and stock today, did a 2¾lb trigger job on it, while I was in there, added a heavy latch spring, nickel trigger, hammer and extension that I bought a while back from Mac. Decided that My 338-06 A-Square barrel needed a nicer stock, so tried the barrel on the new frame, fit perfect!!

Thanks Kerry!!

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Re: Did a little trading!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 09:02:34 PM »
Looking good Tim. Either way I believe a good trade made, those lams aren't easy to come by and those stainless accents look great with them.
It's nice when 2 make for an honest trade, and by the looks that old 30-30 is sought after by Handi lovers... Kinda "keeping it in the family", not a thing wrong with that  8)
Congrats to you both.

-Aaron

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 09:31:53 PM »
That is one sweet lookin' rifle Tim's put together. I am pleased that I was able to contribute something.

And the deal was absolutely a win-win as far as I'm concerned. I've had that grey lam stock for about 3 years and had been keeping it for "something special" but never actually had an idea about what that might be. Then I got all weepy about not having a 30/30 Topper in my life (since that was the first Handi I ever owned) and figured Tim was the kind of guy that just might have "something special" to put the stock on.

Here's the Topper with a BC stock and receiver sight:

I may put a scope on it - depends how my eyes make out with the iron sights; but the way it looks in this pic is actually how I visualized it in my mind when I originally proposed the deal to Tim.

He's happy, I'm happy...  ;D ;D ;D  And like Aaron says we are "keeping it in the family".

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline sureshot2040

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 11:38:16 PM »
thats a fine looking shooter tim
what scope rings do you have on it?
sureshot

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 12:12:30 AM »
Just 2 problems tho , 1 - I don't know which one i like best and 2 - there not mine .  ;D Very sweet looking rifles guys .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 12:58:17 AM »
glad yu got it back  tallyho!!!! lookin good  for both of ya's!!!!

Offline 45/70fan

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 03:25:40 AM »
ditto what Stimpy said  ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 05:52:29 AM »
Kerry, I too am very happy with the trade, as you said, a win-win for both of us!! ;D That is a real sweet looking Topper with the BC stock set, makes me miss it already!!! ;D

Sureshot, the rings are medium Burris Signature Zees in gloss to match the high gloss of the VX1 Leupold and the frame and barrel, something you don't see on current production Ultras any more.

Thanks everyone!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 06:29:32 AM »
That was a nice deal all around.  Nice looking rifles, both of them.

Are 30-30 barrels in stock now?
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline tallyho

• DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 06:47:48 AM »
handirifle, FYI the picture of the Topper shows a 1972 model (AJ serial) and it has a tapered 30/30 barrel. In fact current barrels won't fit on it's frame, and the older barrel won't fit newer frames because the dimensions are different old and new.

And I dunno if current 30/30 accessory barrels are available... somebody probably will.  ;D

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 07:16:20 AM »
In my opinion that's the sweetest looking wood stocked 30-30 I have seen on here. Definitely got some class to it, and good history.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 07:35:45 AM »
Both are great looking guns. I really like the nickel trigger and hammer.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 05:35:48 AM »
Tallyho,
Can you help?  I've got a model 158 30-30 also.  Just love it.  Like you I had one, sold it, and had to have one back.  Are your rear sights the Wlliams WGRS?  Did you have to put on a new, taller front sight?   I'd like to leave my front sight as is.  I did notice your rear sight is set very low.
I've been thinking about putting that sight on my rifle.   It's an AY prefix serial #.
Right now it has a Millett 3-minute red dot scope.  Which it does very well with, I get one-inch groups at 50 yds. w/ no load development yet, and no hammer extension is needed as the sight sits forward a bit.  If you'd like that scope, rings and base, I might trade for your Williams sight.
THANKS

Offline tallyho

• DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 10:11:59 AM »
rio grande,
I am actually heading out of town for the weekend shortly so I am not going to give you the detailed response I intended (but I will later  ;D )

Bottom line, yup it is a WGRS peep, though not one for a Handi - it has been modified (more later). I haven't shot it with the peep, and in the meantime I just put a scope on it. Some things about the hammer extension and how to modify it (though I did mention it in a previous thread somewhere that I just don't have time to find right now - cue Quick!) so that it will work on the Topper.

Anyway, when I get back I'll either send you separately or post here some pics of the mods I did to make a scope and extension work on the Topper.

My apologies, for the abruptness, but my wife is pretty much ready to go out the door, and I have a bit more to do to get ready.

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 02:18:28 PM »
tallyho,
that's ok, thanks. Let me know when you can.  If I can use a WGRS w/the standard front sight, I'd buy one.
-Steve

Offline bang_off

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 02:11:53 AM »
tallyho, I'd be interested to hear what you needed to do to the WGRS sight. I'm chasing one for my mod 155 Shikari, http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,116145.0.html .

Looks like a nice rifle, so does yours quick!  ;D
Australia

Offline jon f

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2007, 04:41:33 AM »
That 30/30 is a nicer looking rifle than the 45 colt carbine H&R have brought out, why don't they make a classic 30/30???? I would buy one! Just my 2 cents worth.
Badges,we don't need no stinking badges.

Offline RugerNo3

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2007, 09:00:55 AM »
That 30/30 is a nicer looking rifle than the 45 colt carbine H&R have brought out, why don't they make a classic 30/30???? I would buy one! Just my 2 cents worth.

I think if you do the math, you can buy the 30-30 and get the stock and forearm for the BC from Customer Service for near the same money the BC is selling for. Now sell the pallet wood or synthetics for a price that will be to your benefit. My opinion and final answer.
"Use a big enough gun!"

Offline tallyho

• DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2007, 09:28:40 AM »
One major difference (at least it is to me  ;)) is that the current 30/30 barrels are heavier and lack the slim taper that the old Topper barrels have. It is a small thing, but I like the look of the slim barrel (especially with the BC stocks) better. The one in the pic is the old Topper.

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline tallyho

• DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2007, 02:59:32 AM »
I have started a new thread http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,117170.0.html to respond to rio grande and his question about the WGRS sight on my Topper - and to detail some of the issues around scoping the little darlin'   ;D

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013