Author Topic: Recoil pad  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Buckman

• Trade Count: (0)
Recoil pad
« on: April 09, 2007, 06:01:05 AM »
I just bought my second handi rifle in 30 06 and had it out in the bush to site in the scope and see how it shoots.  Shot a two inch group at 100 yards after 5 shots with one wonky one (that was me flinging)  Can anyone recommend a good recoil pad for the handi ?  The factory one is fine but i wouldn't mind something better.  I like to shoot my big gun throughout the spring and summer so that when hunting season is here I am comfortable with it.  Any help would be appreciated.  Great site by the way!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Recoil pad
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 06:06:23 AM »
From my limited experience and from what I have read here the Sims Limb Savers are about the best....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline WyrTwister

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 12:42:18 PM »
I just bought my second handi rifle in 30 06 and had it out in the bush to site in the scope and see how it shoots.  Shot a two inch group at 100 yards after 5 shots with one wonky one (that was me flinging)  Can anyone recommend a good recoil pad for the handi ?  The factory one is fine but i wouldn't mind something better.  I like to shoot my big gun throughout the spring and summer so that when hunting season is here I am comfortable with it.  Any help would be appreciated.  Great site by the way!

Not real pretty , but I use the cheap slipp on recoil pads from WalleyWorld .

They are softer than the ones that are attached to the but sstock permantly , with screwa .

Wyr
God bless

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 12:53:56 AM »

My Son can recommends limb saver. He just put one on a rifle that
 was kicking, made big change. Marv

Offline Warthog

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 07:04:26 AM »
Buckman, I'm going to try the new Decellerator slip on as soon as I can find one.  My experience with both Limbsaver and Pachmayr has been good. 
Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger.  Right up until it kills you.

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 05:34:18 PM »
The Limbsaver on my 270 M70 cuts the recoil in half more or less.  I HIGHLY recommend them.  They kind of mush down if you store your rifle butt down like most of Christendom.  Someone else recommended the slip on Limbsaver on the synthetic stock Handis as a poorman's survival kit.  Supposedly you can store ammo and stuff in it easily, securely......never tried it. 

None of the stock templates from Limbsaver will fit the Handi, though.  You will have to grind to fit.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 05:57:11 PM »
As bluebayou said, only the grind to fit will fit perfect, but the #10003 and #10601 will fit some stocks pretty darn good, the pic below is one example of a #10601 on a cinn lam stock. H&R wood/laminated stocks are not all identical, each one is fitted with a "grind to fit" pad at the factory, consequently, they aren't cookie cutter identical, each is a little different, I've tried swapping factory pads tween stocks, there can be a big difference in how they fit.  ;)

I would print out the Limbsaver templates to actual size which will take some adjusting of printer settings to get them right, I have a set of all of their patterns that are exact to the dimensions listed, so I know it can be done, some will say it can't but with a little experimenting, it will work. A little hint, save the template first, then adjust the saved copy. ;)

Tim

http://www.limbsaver.com/templates.php
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 09:28:48 AM »
If you print the templates, make double sure that you adjust "page scaling" to "none" and DON'T leave it on "fit to printer margins" or "fit to page".  Otherwise the printed image is not correct.  I......I mean, someone, didn't check this first and this guy ordered the wrong pad.  This guy also started measuring things with his calipers to be sure.