Author Topic: Help! firing pin problem  (Read 6980 times)

Offline vinpar092

• Trade Count: (0)
Help! firing pin problem
« on: April 07, 2007, 02:57:18 PM »
Went to the range this afternoon to shoot the new .30-06 with 20 rounds of 150 grain with IMR 4895 and 20 rounds 180 grain RN with 4350. The gun shot great when firing pin ignighted the primer. On almost 1/2 of the 150's and 180's the primer didn't ignight. The indent seem a little shallow but not bad. I've never had this happen in any of my guns. Is this common? What are the fixes? I'm sending the receiver in to mate a .45-70 barrel should I just let the factory look at it?
Vince

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Help! firing pin problem
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 03:08:56 PM »
It could be something as simple as you not pulling the trigger all the way to the rear at the break, the transfer bar safety requires a full pull to the rear to allow it to stay up so the hammer can whack it with enough force to ignite the round. If you let off the trigger at the break, the t-bar falls and only part of the force of the hammer strike hits the firing pin resulting in light pin strikes. This info is covered in the owner's manual if you have one. ;)

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 04:59:05 PM »
Vince

As Tim said , make sure that you have  a full pull on the trigger , this is why i like a heaver trigger on my handi's , the momentum of the pull will carry on through to insure thet the t-bar stays up .

If your going to send it in anyhow you may want them to look it over , every once in awile they will have a weak hammer spring that will also cause this problem but this does not happen often .

One last thing to look at is the brand of primer that your using , some are harder than others .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 07:05:13 AM »
Vince

This is what Tim is talking about .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline enj13

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 07:23:00 AM »
Had exactly same prob with three brand new Huntsmans. The pin holding the transfer bar hadn't been peened properly and resulted in intermittent misfires and in one gun..would not fire at all........sent the receiver into a warranty depot and it was fixed...no charge

Offline vinpar092

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 01:26:31 PM »
Sorry that I haven't gotten back, I've been at work since yesterday. Tim and stimpy It could have been that I was not pulling the trigger back all the way. I'm very use to a no creep and no overtravel 3# trigger. I read that in the FAQ and practiced that at home before I went to the range. But I'm confused as to what pulling the trigger all the way back. Does it reset the trigger for the next shot or the shot your taking now? I have some rounds that I tried rotating the cases up to 3 time with three separate pin indents and that round would not fire. I'm going to practice some more but understanding would help. If it continues I'll have them at least check it when I send it in. The gun shot very well. I'm not sure if I like the extractor or not. I wish it would go out at least a little further. I don't think I could pull it out with gloves on. I think my groups would have been better but I was to worried if the gun was going to fire. I couldn't stay focused on form and control.
Thanks Vince

Offline dumgunny

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 02:03:27 PM »
When my Pappy was teachin me to shoot (about a hunnert years ago) he used to mix the occasional dummy round in the magazine of the old '03 springfield that I learned on. You would be surprised at what you can learn about your form from an occasional dry fire when you don't expect it!
  That being said, I am a bit trouble by the fact that the different bullet weights are reacting differently. and with the sticky extraction. Is it possible that your cases may be stretched? I am wondering if they might be trying to head space on the case mouth instead of the shoulder? That could account for the sticky extraction, assuming the chamber and the cases are free of dirt and excess lube.......
JMHO

Offline vinpar092

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 03:59:49 PM »
I didn't have trouble pulling the brass out from the chamber. I'm just stating that with a pair of gloves on during the winter I would have a hard time grasping the casing. I went back an read my post again and was obviously in a hurry. I was asking if not pulling the trigger back all the way has an effect on the shot I'm taking now or the next shot by not resetting the transfer bar. I rotated the live round in the chamber and I tried to fire the round again, squeezing the trigger all the way back and the round still did not fire. I just want to understand the mechanism better. I was focusing more on the gun mechanically than I was trying to group bullets.
Vince

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 04:12:58 PM »
Vince, the transfer bar works as a safety to prevent accidental discharges like if you dropped the hammer accidentally without the trigger being pulled. If the trigger isn't pulled all the way back at firing, the hammer can't strike the firing pin because the t-bar isn't up. Each time the trigger is pulled, the t-bar works automatically, doesn't need to be reset.

I don't know about you, but I can't hunt in gloves that would be too thick to pluck a round from the chamber, at least on my thumb and trigger finger, I need them relatively unencumbered and thick fingered gloves have no place in my gear, I prefer fingerless gloves and handwarmers if it's that cold, they even make little disposable handwarmers that fit in gloves!! :D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain