Author Topic: Parkerizing Temperature  (Read 4687 times)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Parkerizing Temperature
« on: April 01, 2007, 04:30:59 PM »
I've parkerized a bunch of parts, but this is my first go at a barreled action.  I have a long tank with a circulation pump, things work good, only problem is that I can only get my tank temperature to about 160 to 165 degrees.  Is the 170 to 185 degree spec they call out for the solution temperature a magic number or will 150 to 165 work and take longer?  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Aardvark

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
Re: Parkerizing Temperature
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 05:33:46 PM »
 It will be OK to do that...The key is to wait till it stops "fizzing"...It will take a little more time...I usually do mine at about 190-195 but have done it at around 170...Just be sure your steel wool or iron filings dissolve before immersing the barrel....I don't know that 150 will be hot enough..I would go for the 165 at least.
 I went out and bought a 2 burner hot plate for heat source.It doesn't take up any room in the tank and it is portable enough to move around and it will get hot enough and be a constant heat.
/^\__/^\
((*)   (*))
 ``(oo) ``
(V\/vv\/V)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 05:07:17 PM »
I did a lot of expermenting yesterday and have decided there is a magic temperature you must get above for the parkerizing to work.  I mixed up some solution and put it on the stove, then brought it up to 155 degrees, the metal fizzed and turned black, however after I removed it the black would just rub off.  160 was the same, at 175 it made a hard proper parkerized finish, so it looks like about 175 is the minimum for the solution I have to work properly.  I insulated the tubing in the heating microwave and can get my setup to 185 degrees in about an hour and a half, so I think I am good to go.  This is a picture of my setup if anyone is interested.  Larry

A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Aardvark

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 06:11:21 AM »
 That's pretty bizarre!
/^\__/^\
((*)   (*))
 ``(oo) ``
(V\/vv\/V)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 06:52:20 PM »
bizarre?  I know, I should use a proper shim to level the tank and loose the glove.  Larry

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 04:13:32 AM »
Larry, I think it's ingenious!!! How does it work? What are material the tank and hoses made from?....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 01:46:17 PM »
The tank is 4 inch black PVC, the hose is the clear plastic stuff, all the fittings are plastic.  On top is a 2 gallon gas can, it is the return/recovery tank, it feeds from the bottom to the pump, the pump pushes the solution into the microwave and through some coils of plastic pipe (wound on a piece of the 4 inch PVC) and out to the left end of the tank, the other end has a drain with the plastic pipe sticking up to the level I need in the tank, when it fills to that level it runs back down the drain hose into the recovery tank.  I have discovered that when you heat the parkerizing solution it will participate out little string like particles when you get it too hot, this happens when it contacts the hot part of a metal pan while you are heating it.  Using the microwave it never touches any thing hotter than the liquid, so I avoid all the little white junk floating around in my tank.  When I tun off the pump all the liquid drains back down the feed hose and ends up in the recovery tank.  Larry

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 02:21:27 PM »
Impressive and ingenious, perhaps a project for next winter, parkerizing some old hunting guns, and tools too!!! I can see a parkerized hammer head for one thing...Thanks....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Keith L

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 08:15:37 PM »
" I can see a parkerized hammer head for one thing..."

Perfect for those stealthy night time home improvement projects!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 06:04:37 AM »
Then all I would have to do is figure out how to put a sound suppressor (silencer) on it....<><.... ;D

Offline Keith L

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 07:23:03 AM »
Do you have to have a permit for a silenced hammer?

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 11:05:49 AM »
You guys have way too much time on your hands....  I can hardly wait until I am in the same boat.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline Keith L

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 01:51:54 PM »
What do you mean? Poor MSP has to do his home improvement projects at night when he has finished everything else!