Author Topic: Handi-Rifle carrying case  (Read 11847 times)

Offline djw

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
Handi-Rifle carrying case
« on: March 31, 2007, 07:29:52 AM »
Just thought I'd post a picture of the case that came with my "Handy Gun II", vintage early 80's.  It is brown canvas on the outside, smooth poly liner, three compartments.  It came with the 22 Hornet/20 gauge combo that I bought at a pawn shop back in the mid-90's.  It has a "Redhead" tag on it.

Don

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Re: Handi case for combo set
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 07:44:21 AM »
That's a nice pack ya got there. Compact too 8)
I wish NEF/H&R would sale a nicer pack than the Versa-Pack bag. One that would accommodate for scoped barrels too. Who wouldn't buy one? ;D

-Aaron

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 09:19:21 AM »
That's a nice case, too bad they don't seem to offer it any more, I couldn't find it on their web site. They do offer a couple that might work, but they're more expensive than the Cabela's TC case.

Redhead takedown case

Boyt takedown case

I still think the $30 Encore Handi case from Cabelas is the best way to go, it will handle a complete scoped rifle w/26" barrel, plus a scoped 26" barrel. ;)

Tim

Handi Soft Case
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 12:25:46 PM »
Dang, I was at Cabelas yesterday.  If I had know about these I would have gotten one.  Thats a good price and perfect for our Handis.  Thanks Tim.

cookiemann

Guess I'll just have to make another trip to Cabelas ;D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 12:38:24 PM »
I like mine Cookie, it's one of their better buys, course I have to pay shipping tho, no store here......yet!! :'(

Tim

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »
If gas goes any higher, you will be the lucky one.  It's about 90 mile round trip for me.  I don't make it very often and try to hold off till I can afford to buy a few things at one time.  Yesterday was special.  Me and the Grand Boys played "hooky" ;D

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 09:04:50 AM »
Playing "Hooky" with Grandpa "Cookie", I'll bet they think it don't get much better than that!!!....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline cascadedad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 11:26:33 AM »
I like mine Cookie, it's one of their better buys, course I have to pay shipping tho, no store here......yet!! :'(

Tim

Tim,
The Lacy store opens FRIDAY!!!!!!

The Post Falls, ID store opened LAST FRIDAY!!!!

Can you say, "Road Trip"?   ;D ;D ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 11:45:37 AM »
Yeah, I know, but with gas closing in on $3.50 a gallon, Lacey is a looong ways away, with a round trip of 225 miles, gas would cost about $30, I think I'd rather pay shipping without tax. I know, what fun would that be!! :D

Tim

Offline cascadedad

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 12:09:26 PM »
Probably be awhile before I visit either store.  We are heading to my brother's house and then my cousin's up in Bellingham over Thanksgiving.  It will be a painfully expensive trip in a 11 mpg Suburban, but what is the alternative......stay home.  Can you imagine having a stack of dollar bills and every 10 miles thowing 3 bills out the window???

The Lacey store will be about 60 miles out of our way, so I seriously doubt we will have time for it.  Won't have any money to spend anyway, after paying for the gas.   :P

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 12:11:34 PM »
Yup. :'(  :D

Offline 357magrifleman

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 04:55:44 AM »
Tim,
Do you think I could slide a 410 barrel in the extra pouch with the scoped rifle barrel? Of course with probably a gun sock on it.  I have been looking for something like this.

Offline PWalker

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 05:07:52 AM »
I was lucky enough to get of the cases for Christmas.I have the 45/70 in it now but she knows more barrels will be here so she when ahead and got it for me.Just need to send my receiver off now and add that other barrel.I think this particular case is made by Allen co.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 05:07:53 AM »
The Cabelas case has plenty of room for a 26" scoped barrel and a shotgun barrel in the side pocket, it has a full length double travel zipper on it so it would be easy too. ;)

Tim

Offline Uncle Ji

• Avid Poster
  • ILLEGITIMUS NON CARBORUNDUM EST
    • Hawaiian Style
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 07:10:12 AM »
Probably a sin to mention this but this case works quite well and has the same features.  http://www.rossiusa.com/products/FullCarryCaseDetail.cfm
I own both Rossi and NEF/H&R single shots and love them both.  Last week while cruising Gunbroker I came upon an auction for a new 20 gauge barrel and forestock for a Rossi for $39.00 including shipping, I bid the minimum $39.00 and won, and on receiving this in the mail a couple days ago I discovered the auction also included the case.  Now I have a 357 mag/20 gauge combo with case, and i'm totally stoked.

Offline retrosub

• Trade Count: (4)
Great scoped rifle case
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
I've been looking for a Handi-sized rifle case for my 30-06, which measures about 38" long. Most takedown cases are just too small while most scoped rifle cases are too long. I don't want my rifle swimming in the case, I want a snug fit. I recently ordered a 40" rifle case from Midway because it was on sale. I don't think they should advertise it as a 40" case, because you can't get a 40" rifle in there. However, it's an ideal fit for a 22" barrel Handi. It's currently on sale:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=939127599

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: Great scoped rifle case
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 12:43:09 PM »
I really like the Cabela's Duck cases.  They are green and The only difference I can see between them and the few Boyt cases are the price tag and the leather.  The Boyt leather is a little nicer.
For $50 they look good.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 01:42:22 PM »
The Ruger 10/22 cases are perfect size also they run less than $25 IIRC Iv'e also bought the Gander copy of it for less than $20. Kurt
Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Lew

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 06:40:39 AM »
Redhead (Bass Pro) sells a case intended for a scoped 22 or pellet rifle that fits a Handi perfectly ... and it's only $12!

Offline Uncle Harry

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 06:48:55 AM »
I've got half a dozen or so of these :

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/winchester-assault-rifle-case.aspx?a=407965

Hadda put price thingies on 'em to identify which rifle is which.   ;D

Offline Lefty Dude

• Avid Poster
Re: Handi Soft Case
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2010, 09:29:46 AM »
When I sent in my action for the barrel accessory program in 07, H&R's store had Handi-cases for $24.99.
I bought one, it has compartments for barrels, etc. It is black cordura is about 26" long and has a National Turkey Federation logo on one side and the H&R logo one the other side. My 308 scoped barrel fits in the case. However I do have a compact scope on the barrel. This case would be to small if I had my Burris 3-9 mounted on the barrel.

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 07:05:42 PM »
I got a NC Star case from Sportsman's Guide a few years ago. It holds my 32" BC barrel, 22" .204 barrel with a 6-18x50mm scope, action with the BC stock and a few boxes of ammo. I think I paid $15.00 for it. My only complaint would be that it doesn't have any outside pockets.
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 03:25:06 AM »
in November i went over to my place in Apache Junction and while getting supplies at the local Walmart i noticed a batch of rifle and shotgun cases hanging,checked them out, and went out of there with an armload of padded 40" scoped rifle cases made by Winchester and Remington. Pretty much the same thing as the 10/22 cases.....they were going for $9.99 ea

Offline HTRDNCK

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 09:35:27 AM »
I still think the $30 Encore Handi case from Cabelas is the best way to go, it will handle a complete scoped rifle w/26" barrel, plus a scoped 26" barrel. ;)

Tim

Handi Soft Case

I have one of these and love it. I also cut some foam padding to fit in the pocket to pad between two barrels. So an assembled Handi in the main compartment and two spare barrels give three choices in one bag.

Offline gila_dog

Handi-Rifle carrying case
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010, 04:09:16 AM »
Have any of you seen a carrying case for a Handi-Rifle, all broken down? What I'm thinking of is something made of canvas, with sections where you can stuff the stock, the forend, and 1 or 2 barrels. This would be for making the whole thing as short and compact as possible, and protecting everything from damage while backpacking (or packing on a horse, mule, or goat) into the backcountry.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
Re: Handi-Rifle carrying case
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 06:31:14 AM »
There are some listed in the FAQs, Cabelas makes a nice one for the Encore that works great for a scoped rifle and a scoped barrel.

Tim

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 06:33:30 AM »
And I picked this one up not too long ago, but I really like it... cheap too ;D the nylon canvas is pretty thick too. It works well with one scoped barrel and one shotgun barrel.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/34-breakdown-gun-case.aspx?a=408036

-Aaron

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 07:15:59 AM »
Here's my latest carry case for short firearms up to about 35½", a 20" Superlight fits fine, it's a $25 Field Locker arrow case with some additional memory foam.

Tim

Offline HTRDNCK

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 11:03:38 AM »
The Cabelas case is what I use along with some foam rubber in the side pocket, I can carry a complete gun w/2 scoped barrels.

They are on sale right now as well.
Cabelas Case

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Handi Bag
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2010, 06:07:36 PM »
I've looked for a while at gun cases, and had not found one to my liking.  My better half today came home with a two compt. zippered and  VERY well padded case from Dick's Sporting Goods.  

It has a compt. big enough for stock and receiver, and the other for at least two barrels with scopes.  The only drawback is separating the barrels, but I think some velcro and a little stitching will take care of that.  For now, I wrapped one and just lay the other in.  I'll post pictures when I find my stinkin' camera....now where is that thing?

Forgot to add...it's a paintball gun case, and cost less than single rifle cases....
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)