Author Topic: New Guy With A Handi Rifle Question  (Read 5583 times)

Offline Nick Allen

• Trade Count: (5)
New Guy With A Handi Rifle Question
« on: March 12, 2007, 06:01:25 AM »
Hello, I am about to purchase a H&R Handi in 45-70, and was wondering how strong the action is. Can these guns shoot the stout factory loads offered by Garret? I am wanting to use this gun for deer hunting here in MI. My longest shot probably will be out to 300 yrds. were I hunt. Is this gun of good quality? I also must note that I have one of their slug guns and just love it,.

Thanks for the help
Nick :)

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Re: New Guy With A Handi Rifle Question
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 06:12:23 AM »
Welcome to the forum Nick. Hang out, browse through the pages and you will find a ton of info. And a lot of it will be about the 45-70, as it seems to be among the most popular calibers offered in a Handi.
I do not own one -yet ;D- so I will let the other fellas go further into detail about that. But from what I have read, levergun loads and lower Ruger #1 seems to be alright, though the reported recoil is a stout one. But then again you are no stranger to that if your out shooting sluggers much  ;D

-Aaron

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 06:15:57 AM »
Welcome aboard, Nick!! Yes, if you go to the Garrett site, all of the ammo that will work in the Handi is listed as NEF, the others would also work IF the throat of the Handi 45-70 wasn't so short, but most bullets bigger than 350gr are a problem, unless they're bore riders. Buffalo Bore's ammo is also safe in a Handi.

Tim

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/products.asp

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=35

BB URL updated
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline AZ223

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 06:35:52 AM »
Welcome, Nick! I have a fairly new 45-70, and I can tell you it's stronger than I am. Yesterday I was shooting 300gr Hornady HP's and H335 for around 2100fps, and it's accurate - and my shoulder is still sore! I was also using Unique for some light loads, and IMR4895 with 405gr Remingtons; all were accurate except for some 350gr LaserCast bullets and 28gr 2400. Factory loads have also been great.

As stated above, some bullets may prove too long, but you can ream the throat if you want to go for really big loads. I did have a problem with 350gr Sierra's not wanting to chamber easily; the ogive must be too far forward, so even with some smaller bullets you may have to measure. I use the Stoney Point tool, and it works fine.

The only problem with 300yard shots is to learn the trajectory for the load you're using; once you have that figured out you're good to go. We were shooting a 5x5 peice of plaster board up on a mountainside at 350 yards, open sights, and once we had the drop figured out we were on it. With that big of a bullet, you just watch for the dust cloud to see where you're hitting!  :D
Life was so much simpler when I thought I knew everything...

Offline Nick Allen

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 07:07:30 AM »
Thanks guys, I have been told that the Handi can not handle the stout loads. But once I looked at the links you posted I see otherwise.
I intend to hand load some 350 gr bullets to about 2000 fps after reviewing the loads by Garrett I should have no problem. What is it about the Ruger #1 that makes it stronger?

Thanks
Nick

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 07:11:29 AM »
The Handi is factory available in .500S&W with a SAAMI maximum pressure of 60kpsi, which is 10kpsi over any Ruger #1 load. But your shoulder will tell you what loads it will handle!! ;D

As AZ223 mentioned, you can throat the .45-70 yourself, so you can shoot the bigger bullets, see my throating link in the FAQs, while you're in there, spend some time reading, there's lots of info there for newbies. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain