Author Topic: Youth stock  (Read 1404 times)

Offline buckeye hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Youth stock
« on: February 24, 2007, 05:05:04 PM »
Is there a big enough cavity in the youth NEF buttstock to put a mercury recoil reducer?

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Youth stock
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 05:14:29 PM »
Buckeye Hunter

Most people need to put spacers in the full size stocks and as the youth is only about 1" shorter , i would think that it would work with no problem , but i have never tried one to see for sure . How long is the reducer  that you want to use ?

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline buckeye hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 05:18:52 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I haven't bought it yet.  I was leaning toward buying the youth 7-08 for my son.   Even with lighter loads I think it would need a bit more recoil taming for my small framed son. 

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 05:24:52 PM »
Bh

You may find that just adding a little weight to the butt will help with out having to spend as much money . and as he gets used to the recoil you can take some out .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 06:00:24 PM »
Weight will work as a budget recoil reducer, but not as well as an MRR that weighs half that of a dead weight, I've used both, I was pleasantly surprised at how effective an MRR is.  ;) There's plenty of room in the wood youth stock, I have one with a 7/8"x5"x16oz C&H MRR in it, you'll still have to fill the extra space with something to take of the slack, I use a piece of white PVC pipe, then cut the end flush with the stock. You can insert a ¼"-28x4" bolt thru the PVC into the ¼"-28 threads in the end of the MRR and pull the MRR and pipe out all at once. I put a patch of heavy leather on the front of the MRR as a cushion against the stock bolt, put a few wraps of electrical tape on each end of the MRR and PVC pipe so they don't rattle in the stock. They're $35 from MPC. You're on your own for a synthetic stock! ;D

Tim

http://www.mpcsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=245
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Roudy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 06:11:05 PM »
A quick way to see if a little extra weight will help is to fill the space in the buttstock with BBs.  If you don't find that it helps enough just remove the buttplate and pour them out.  The BBs won't be as much weight as lead, nor as effective as a recoil reducer, but it is inexpensive and easily reversible.

Roudy