Author Topic: Stoning Latch Shelf  (Read 3988 times)

Offline 270Handiman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Stoning Latch Shelf
« on: February 21, 2007, 05:03:05 PM »
Guys,

I got my first non-fitting barrel in today.  I've started fitting it, but what really stood out to me was the wear mark on the latch shelf from it's previous frame.  So I blacked it out and checked it on my frame.  The latch engagement on mine seems to be exactly the same as the pre-existing wear marks from the other frame.  I just wanted to post a couple pics of how bad it was before I fix it.  It's basically hanging on the left corner and not locking up.  I just thought these may be good pics to illustrate bad engagement to someone else in the future.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Stoning Latch Shelf
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 05:16:05 PM »
Looks like that may be why it was sold, I don't believe it would have been a good shooter that way!! :-\

Thanks, I'll add this to the FAQs for future reference. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 270Handiman

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 05:38:15 PM »
Here are a few more pics (better ones)

Offline ken2222

• Trade Count: (23)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 05:49:43 PM »
Good stuff .270....Thanks!  Ken

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 05:57:32 PM »
Ya know, assuming the latch is square,  that looks almost bad enough that the underlug is either not on the barrel square, or the pivot is cut a bit off, how do they look? If you set the barrel upside down on a level surface on the scope rail, is the lug level too? In other words, is the bottom of the lug parallel to the top of the scope rail when looking towards the muzzle from the breech? How's the pivot in comparison to the top of the scope rail? That will take a little more to check, maybe use a 3/8" dowel in the pivot and see if is square to the bottom of the underlug? :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 270Handiman

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 04:26:24 AM »
Yea Tim,

I had to call it quit's last night and I'm working today, but I definately have something fouled up here that I am going to investigate when I get home. 

Let me put the whole situation out here for analysis:

The barrel is loose when latched to the frame.  If you pull down on the muzzle end of the barrel, you get a gap at the top, but if you pull up on the muzzle end of the barrel you eliminate the gap.  I believe a shim is in order here and I will address that first this evening.

Obviously I have latch issues.  I stoned it smooth last night, but I didn't remove much material, just smooth.  I kept checking as I worked hoping to see some improvement but nothing got better.  If I slam the barrel shut (with as much force as possible) and wiggle the loose barrel on the frame I get some engagement across the latch shelf, but it seems to be engaging the most on the left side in the same spot as seen in the photos. 

I believe your correct in that I should check everything for square.  What's bothering me the most is that the spot where my latch is making contact is exactly where the bluing is worn on the latch shelf from prior use on another frame.  To me that's an indicator that something is mis-aligned.

Well, this is the situation if anyone cares to comment or share a common experience.

Thanks,

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 01:05:39 PM »
It looks to me that barrel is rotated. The hinge pin seat is drilled off square.
The barrel needs to be rotated counterclockwise.

The right side of the pin seat needs to be relieved and the left side build up a bit, best done with a fine wire welding beat.

When you rotate the barrel you will run into trouble with the forearm fitting to the front of the action. Perhaps the best approch would be building up the latch shelve and refitting the latch.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline 270Handiman

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 04:08:22 AM »
Thanks Fred, and your right, I'm gonna try to re-fit the latch shelf square to the latch.  It won't take much.  It just needs to be higher on the side that isn't making any contact and then run down flush on the other side.  I'll keep ya'll posted.