Author Topic: Ejector work  (Read 3197 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Ejector work
« on: February 14, 2007, 09:35:27 AM »
MSP touched on this in another thread, converting a rimmed caliber barrel to a rimless caliber and the change needed to the ejector mechanizm to work properly. I had a problem getting the ejector to work well in my 35 Remington rechamber from 357Max. As MSP learned, the difference in rimless and rimmed ejection is the presence of the lifter button on rimless ejectors, without it, the ejector doesn't drop down below the cartridge rim and hangs up of the back the the rim when closing the action.

MSP pioneered the change after talking with Gordon at H&R CS, all that needs to be done is drill a 1/8" hole in the spring seat of the underlug where the latch spring is and installing a lifter button in the hole which causes the ejector to lift up behind the rim so it will eject when the action opens.

I performed the change today but ran into another issue in that the post or vertical part of the ejector isn't the same on all rifles, it's much thicker on some barrels, about twice as thick, the thick one won't work in a barrel designed for a thin post ejector. The top ejector is a .270 Ultracomp ejector, the bottom a .223 ejector that I used in the 35 Remington before I installed a .30-06 ejector today that I ordered from Brownell's when I originally did the ejector work.

Hope this helps someone in the future and a big thanks to MSP for enlightening me!! ;) I've added this thread to the FAQs in the ejector work section.

Tim

The lift button is the small hat shaped piece above the small latch spring on the right. The lift button can be made from a nail,  dimensions are .170" long, the head is .026" thick and .209" wide, and the shank is .121" in diameter. It can be ordered from Brownell's, part #427-400-461  $4.58.

Lifter button hole at the end of the paper clip. This is a factory drilled hole that's off center, the one I drilled is perfectly centered in the seat!! This is a barrel I'm working on with a different kind of shim to fit it, more on that later.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
Re: Ejector work
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 10:42:07 AM »
Tim.
When I did my 257R i ordered a new ejector from Brownell I was giong to save the 223 ejector. The ejector I got did not fit just like yours. So I modified the 223 ejector. To make the new 06 type fit would require to mill the seat deeper. Neither no big deal but the mod on the 223 was more expeditious.

Well I wont have to frig with the 257R Handi any more since I got myself a mint Ruger #1 in 257Roberts. What a windfall.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 01:02:46 PM »
Fred,

Seems to me I remember you mentioned the bigger post issue on the ejector, just one more of the changes H&R has made over the years. :-\

You're gonna be in fat city once you get the 7x57 barrel fitted to you other #1, aren't ya!! ;D

Tim

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 01:20:15 PM »
Thanks for posting this Quick and I am happy it worked for you, how does the 30-06 ejector work in your .35? The dimensions looked good to me so I put the same ejector in my .357 barrel when it went out to become a .35 Rem, I actually put in a .270 ejector which is the same as the 30-06, Thanks Mac!!  At that time I had not discovered the fix we are speaking about. I will drill it and put a lifter button in it when it returns or perhaps have it done there. I have already spoken to the gunsmith about it. I am happy this info is out and hope it can help others here. Now, did I hear 7x57? That makes me sit up and listen!!! Best of luck Fred but it seems as if you have just had some, please keep us posted....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 01:22:34 PM »
Yes Tim I can't believe my luck. I should not crow yet since the rifle is only on it way and so is that 7x57 barrel.

But I am extreamly well pleased. I got the 243 ready to try made up a few rounds just to check out that barrel. No plans for this barrel as yet.

Don't know what to do with that 257Roberts Handi, thinking about selling it. But I don't think even at cost I would have a hard time finding a buyer. No I better keep it it is one of a kind and I like it very much.

Andy.
Last week I bought a Ruger #1 in 243  84 Vintage and found a new Ruger#1  7x57 barrel so the 243 will become a new 7x57. Yesterday my search for a Ruger #1 in 257R ended by making a deal for this  mint #1. I wont be offended if you call me nuts.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 02:29:38 PM »
MSP, the .'06 family ejector works great, just as you said it would, it throws those 35 Rem rounds right out over my shoulder in true Handi fashion!! It also allows a round to be chambered with not problems closing the action if the round goes all the way into the chamber.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is if you barrel has the thick or thin ejector cut out below the chamber and the ejector is the wrong type. I would assume that's the difference that Brownell's mentions in their descriptions, post '98 or '87-'98.

Tim

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 02:40:32 PM »
Can the new extractors be changed like these old ejectors have?? What do you think would be involved
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 02:59:28 PM »
I think it's a possibility to convert the 2nd generation extractor to an ejector, but I haven't worked on it yet. You can see the difference in the FAQs.

Tim

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 03:12:04 PM »
I guess I was not clear enough, I meant if you changed a barrel from a lets say a 22 hornet to a 221 fireball with an extractor barrel you would need to change to a 223 extractor & a lifter button, Have not got a new extractor type barrel (don't really know the insides of one yet) but am thinking of the above conversion if possible maybe this summer. Still a little confused on to where to drill the 3/8 hole. I'll have to pull a rimmed & rimless ejector apart one day here soon & look for myself

Thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 03:19:55 PM »
Extractor barrels have a captive extractor, meaning they engage the rim on the way in and out, the extractor doesn't drop down out of the way like on an ejector barrel.

Tim

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 03:26:45 PM »
Thanks Tim, so a straight switch to a 223 extractor for a 221 fireball should be no problem then. Need to send in a frame for a 22 hornet and maybe another 357 to Max or to 35 remington.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 03:37:14 PM »
Should work fine with the correct height extractor.

Tim

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 03:39:46 PM »
Far from calling you nuts Fred, I am a bit envious....<><... ;)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley