Author Topic: 14 1/4" L.O.P. ?  (Read 4719 times)

Offline just bill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
14 1/4" L.O.P. ?
« on: February 07, 2007, 01:38:49 PM »
No wonder the gun don't fit well.  I called NEF and they have no butt plates.  Anyone know of a screw on butt plate with the proper contour?  I have zero concerns of recoil.
I am surprised NEF doesn't do something about this.  I realize they need to standardize for cost savings but 14 1/4" L.O.P. on everything?

Offline just bill

• Contributor
Re: 14 1/4" L.O.P. ?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 04:09:05 PM »
Thanks but those appear thick still.  Seems like NEF mills the stocks to a standard 13 1/2" and then adds on a whopping 3/4" recoil pad for a finsih of 14 1/4"  Thats great if your customers average about 6' 7"  ;)

I just need a butt plate.

Seems like in the future they would finish the stock at 13 1/2" if picking one like everyone else these days.  It almost appears they forgot to add in the recoil pad as no one else has or wants a lop that long.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 04:25:15 PM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 11:38:34 PM »

See if you can find a "Walmart" spec'd Youth stock.  The Walmart Youth stock is a standard adult stock, before adding the recoil pad, and has a plain butt plate on it.  I know this because I have some of each and have laid them side by side.  You will really be surprised at the difference in how it shoulders.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline GaryCrow

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 12:52:03 AM »
Thanks but those appear thick still.  Seems like NEF mills the stocks to a standard 13 1/2" and then adds on a whopping 3/4" recoil pad for a finsih of 14 1/4"  Thats great if your customers average about 6' 7"  ;)

I'm 6'2" and I'd kill to find a factory length of pull anywhere over 14".  It seems that all the manufacturers size their rifles for the midgets of the year 1850 instead of the normal size humans of this day and age. 

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 02:28:51 AM »
Brownell's sells one for H&Rs

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7032&title=BUTT+PLATE%2c+REQUIRES+FITTING

Thanks  :)   Just what I am looking for.  May want to put it in a sticky.

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 02:33:55 AM »

I'm 6'2" and I'd kill to find a factory length of pull anywhere over 14".  It seems that all the manufacturers size their rifles for the midgets of the year 1850 instead of the normal size humans of this day and age. 

Gary,  You must have long arms also.  The Handi's at 14 1/4" should fit you well if thats what you want.  As a history note, the stamdard 13 1/2" lop is slightly longer today than it was for the "midgets" of the 1850's.  Companys have adjusted.

Offline J. Plate

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 02:43:43 AM »

I know it doesn't help all that much because of cost....but the Benelli R1 comes in at 14" from the factory. But that looks like it suffers from 'large recoil pad syndrome' also.   I assume we're pretty much talking rifles.  Coming from a shotgun background, most are in the 14" or better range.  My Benelli SBE is 14 3/8" and my Mossy 935 measures 14 1/2".    Most Remmy's are 14 1/4" for shotguns but 13 3/8" for rifles.

And, not for nothing.....but I'm 5'7" 170 lbs, and the 14+" fits me just right.    ;)    I find most rifles to be a bit short.   And, no, I don't have particularly long arms!!   :P

Oh, just to add....with all the modifications that are talked about at this site....is it possible for you to shorten your stock that 1/2"?   If you don't feel comfortable in a DIY situation, a gunsmith can do it for a little $$.   A buddy of mine had a Mossberg Silver Reserve cut down from 14 1/4" to 13 1/2!! 

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 05:25:52 AM »
Good points J.Plate fairly interesting subject.

My ideal L.O.P. is 13 3/8" .  I have measured this,confirmed it on other rifles etc.  The Handi is long for me when I am just in a tee shirt but do'able.  Winter hunting with a coat on it becomes darn right uncomfortable.  To add fuel to the fire my Bushnell Banner scope (4-12) is seated back as far as it can go in the rings and on the Weaver rail.  The rail system also limets this more it seems.  So for me to get full vision in my scope I am really leaning into it and pulling that rifle length of pull back pretty darn hard into my shoulder.  The grip is also fat and not really finished which tends to roll my thumb up.

For the record I am 5'9" monkey wrestler build (former wrestler many moons ago now).  My arms are not long,my hands are very wide,thick and my fingers fairly short :D  Anyways it don't fit me well.   

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 05:32:52 AM »
If you cut the recoil pad off at the point that the ventilated part begins, it will leave you with a butt plate that is about 1/2" shorter.  You will then need to replace the wood screws with ones that are a bit shorter.

I had this done on my sportster 17 HMR it worked very nicely.

Offline J. Plate

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 05:52:10 AM »
Good points J.Plate fairly interesting subject.

My ideal L.O.P. is 13 3/8" .  I have measured this,confirmed it on other rifles etc.  The Handi is long for me when I am just in a tee shirt but do'able.  Winter hunting with a coat on it becomes darn right uncomfortable.  To add fuel to the fire my Bushnell Banner scope (4-12) is seated back as far as it can go in the rings and on the Weaver rail.  The rail system also limets this more it seems.  So for me to get full vision in my scope I am really leaning into it and pulling that rifle length of pull back pretty darn hard into my shoulder.  The grip is also fat and not really finished which tends to roll my thumb up.

For the record I am 5'9" monkey wrestler build (former wrestler many moons ago now).  My arms are not long,my hands are very wide,thick and my fingers fairly short :D  Anyways it don't fit me well.   

Sounds like even swapping it out for a youth wouldn't work for you.   From reference, the youth synthetic has a LOP of < 12".   Would leave you on the short end of things.  I think I would  the stock ahead of the buttpad.  You're only looking at taking about 1/4-5/8" off of the stock, which shouldn't mess up putting the same recoil pad back on, depending on how it's shaped. 

I, too, was a wrestler many moons ago.  Wrestled my last match at 126 lbs. just about 11 years ago to the day in the State Qualifiers.  ;)

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 10:53:07 AM »
Just Bill I have a plastic butt plate that come off a Nef 20ga. If you want it let me know

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 03:40:49 AM »
Brownell's sells one for H&Rs

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7032&title=BUTT+PLATE%2c+REQUIRES+FITTING

I ordered it but it's currently on back order.  I will let you know how it works out.  Just to long for me.  Had my coat on last evening fox hunting, just to long a lop for me.

Thanks all,
Bill

Offline just bill

• Contributor
My buttplate from Brownells
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 02:49:18 PM »
I would like to than quicktdoo for the link on where to order.  Just ground it to fit with the bench grinder 15 minute job.  It has the H&R emblem on it.  Most important for me the length of pull is now 13 1/2" rather than 14 1/4" and fits me much better.  I am not to worried about the 22 Hornets recoil  :)  Quick snapshot for those interested,hadn't even cleaned it up yet.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: My buttplate from Brownells
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 02:51:32 PM »
Looks like it was done by a pro!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2007, 03:03:47 PM »
Thanks,simple job.

Thats stock always looks brite & bold for some reason inside with a camera flash, when it's really not in person.  Here is what it look like outside in natural lite.  Much more toned down...........good stock for the hornet.  It actually blends in quite well with the suroundings as the "yellow" is not yellow it's natural maple laminate.  Easy to see in person, maple has a honey tone.  Comes out brite with the flash inside.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2007, 03:25:44 PM »
Great looking gun. I would like to know where to get one of those stocks? I think the last place I saw a stock like that was Dave from persision firearms. I think it is now called Chase Mountain Custom.com. I don't know if you ever heard of them be they do great things with Handies. I would like to see some other colors though.

The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 01:48:53 AM »
Dale,

Yes Chase Mountain Custum has a limeted supply of them.  I got the last one from NEF.  A nive service lady found one in the back for me.  I don't think anyone is currently making them so what ever is out there is probably it till someone does another run.

I am familar with Chase Mountain and have spoke with Kim, haven't used them but I trust them and appreciate what they do.  I keep fiddleing with my Hornet a bit at a time myself.  I have tried various bedding and am currently bare with this stock.  Ground down my hammer to keep the scope low and re-blued it, changed butt plate,changed stock.  Next I will likely polish the crown as in the sticky.  Mine appears it could use it, don't think I need a complete re-crown.  Hard to beleive for some but my trigger was really good right from the box.  One of these days I will have my gun shop measure it's pull but, from other rifles I have I know it's right about 3 pounds with no creep.  Also it has a fairly wide shoe which helps feel imo.  The more I tinker with it the more I have pride in it and likely won't ever horse trade it.  I like what Chase Mountain does bedding the fore ends, I also like their stub barrels.

Bill

Offline greyling

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007, 05:16:33 PM »
hey bill, what exactly was the link to, or name of that buttplate? I'm looking at the brownells website and can't seem to find anything with the HR logo.

Offline greyling

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2007, 06:23:50 AM »
awesome. thanks.

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2007, 02:55:34 AM »
Just Bill,
what model of ammo holder are you using, all i can find is for larger diameter rounds, Been lokkin for one for a while
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2007, 10:02:08 AM »
Boy  :D  I get that question every time I post a picture of that Hornet.  I don't remember the name brand  :-\  It had a yellow tag on it and I just picked it up at a local shop, rip'ed the tag off.

But I can tell you it is a rimfire magnum holder I use for the Hornet not a center fire made just for the Hornet.

All credit goes to "Mike" at the local shop for the thought and recommendation of a rimfire magnum holder for the Hornet.  His suggestion to me at the shop and, he was right works well.